Old 08-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Nebo , North Carolina
Marine Corps League.

The Marine Corps League has not been listed. It is open to all honorably discharged U. S. Marines. Others such as Navy FMF Corpsman and some other classifications are accepted.
A wonderful group of men and women working to help Marines, service personnel, community and toys for tots.
I also know the D.A.V. helps service personnel with benifits and claims. A great
Organization.

Semper Fi
R Turner,
Old USMC E5
Life member Marine Corps League
Life member D.A.V.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Spokane , Washington
Al & vfw

I am retired military and life member of both. I joined as I want someone to constantly advocate for Veteran's benefits. I don't have time to constantly monitor what is on the legislative chopping block and send letters here and there but after 27 years in uniform, I want what is legitimately due me. I am not a smoker or drinker and don't attend meetings. I do appreciate that these groups help Vets with VA claims. There are a TON of younger Vets and I think that both organizations are trying to adapt to changing times and demographics to ensure their continued relevance and subsequently- their future.

VFW Life Member
American Legion Life Member
National Guard Association of the United States Life Member
Retired Air Force

Some day - Airstream Owner...

Old 08-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I joined Il. guard in 1954 when reactivated in 1954 when returning from korean conflict, 8 former and I started unit again inc. 1st serg. and CO. drafted in 1956 served 2 yrs. US ARMY then back to guard, then honorably discharged in 1960 from guard this should answer your q. as to my serv.
When returned from Ger. attempted to join Legion as I knew not eligible for VFW. Legion told me I was not vet story is told prev. post, now they keep sending me recruitment matl. same story about eligibilty. I am a legit. vet not 5 deferments as president wanabe. Maybe you made chief I made E4 end of story. I never question any persons service................ Yes I have attitude toward Legion as that was not all that was said at that time. When my ranger friend returned from nam after being wounded 3 times [100% disability] told him same story, he is not member of Legion and feels same as me. Plus I qualify for all gov. benifits.

Thank you for your service and response. I did not mean to question your service as such. Just sounded like there was more to the story and apparently there was. Hold your head up high and be proud. I figure any club that does not want me as a member I can certainly live without.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
I suspect the only one I am eligible to join is the DAV, but I'm not really interested. I used their service officer at the La Jolla VA Hospital to upgrade my service connected disability from seizures, to seizures plus PTSD. He was not very helpful at all, and about as understanding and friendly as a fish. The real reason I was able to make my claim happen was my psychiatrist and my psychologist. These two people really went to bat for me writing letters, one of them hand carried one of the letters he wrote up to the gentleman making the decision and "gave him a piece of my mind". Yes, my doctor was po'ed.

However a few months ago I met a great guy from the VVA, (he was at a play I attended), he is a service officer with them. I did not know that the VVA had service officers! I spent about 20 minutes speaking with him. They will help any Veteran fill out claim forms, AND they will counsel them directly afterwards. I know that I really wish I had gone to them. After having to drag up the memories in order to fill out those forms with the DAV officer, I was a complete disaster. The flashbacks started in, I tried to sleep, but then nightmares. I began disassociating, so I don't remember much of those two days but I know I ended up drunk and cutting. From talking with all the Vets I know, (I counsel), I've found this is fairly common after filling claim forms, so now I recommend using your local VVA if they have a Service Officer.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
In my prev. post I mentioned my ranger friend nam vet wounded 3 times 100% disabled. Same thing took Sen Dick Durbin to intervene, looks same old story with vets no better.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
I joined Il. guard in 1954 when reactivated in 1954 when returning from korean conflict, 8 former and I started unit again inc. 1st serg. and CO. drafted in 1956 served 2 yrs. US ARMY then back to guard, then honorably discharged in 1960 from guard this should answer your q. as to my serv.
When returned from Ger. attempted to join Legion as I knew not eligible for VFW. Legion told me I was not vet story is told prev. post, now they keep sending me recruitment matl. same story about eligibilty. I am a legit. vet not 5 deferments as president wanabe. Maybe you made chief I made E4 end of story. I never question any persons service................ Yes I have attitude toward Legion as that was not all that was said at that time. When my ranger friend returned from nam after being wounded 3 times [100% disability] told him same story, he is not member of Legion and feels same as me. Plus I qualify for all gov. benefits.
Any group that exists to separate us can just go suck it. At some point in our lives WE ALL SIGNED the dotted line that included up to the Possible sacrifice of our lives for our country and WE WERE WILLING.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
Old 08-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
In my prev. post I mentioned my ranger friend nam vet wounded 3 times 100% disabled. Same thing took Sen Dick Durbin to intervene, looks same old story with vets no better.
I've been in the VA system since 1981. I developed a grand mal seizure disorder while in the Air Force. The internist wrote it up as extreme stress. A psychiatrist put me out of the Air Force for BPD, (Borderline), which I tried very hard to fight, On the last day I asked for my medical records be sent to the VA in San Diego. My dad had a seizure disorder from trauma and he was connected, so I knew what to do. I was connected in less than 6 months. But I was a frequent flyer at the psych ward still. I'd have a relapse every six to ten years and go in for a few weeks. In between I was super mom; stuff everything deep enough and nobody knows, right? It was my psychiatrist who realized in 1993 that I was not borderline, but PTSD. He told me to make the claim. I tried, but I was denied, and I was still too emotionally weak to make that fight. When I had the next relapse, he told me again, File! So I began again. It took a total of three years. Denied, appealed, received only 10%, (I thought my doc would blow that blood vessel in his forehead, he told me appeal for more), So I asked for more and and both my doctors wrote letters again. Like I said, it took three years. I did get 100%.

You know of course I am not the only one with a story like this. There are so many Veterans with stories much worse than mine. It was in 2008 that we no longer were forced to provide proof that we literally could not provide. I could not find the women in Army Basic who knew some of my story, and especially the one that he also approached, in fact, out of the whole platoon I found only one email address, and that woman never answered my emails in three years. The "proof" thing was really stupid, a man could be missing limbs and the VA would require him to Prove his disability happened during his service, yes even with the fact that they had his medical records. I actually did report my rapist, but anonymously. I knew I would be relieved of duty if I had reported him any other way. Thank God this proof thing was knocked down. Another thing that happened, a Veteran took the VA to court in Los Angeles, CA. He was able to force a VA official to reveal that when a Veteran died during the course of his claim, that it was considered a successfully closed case, AND that yes, they often dragged cases out that this might happen and they would never have to pay.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Another story my wifes best friend uncle lost a leg so va has him reavaluated every year to see if he still qualifies for for 100% disability pay. Our va at work
Old 08-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Meh. I survived a 8 1/2 year. Navy Vietnam era.

More or less sane, would rather not sit and talk about the past. Too busy getting on with life to dwell on the past nightmares.

Besides, as Groucho Marx put it, I'd rather not join an organization that would have me....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Meh. I survived a 8 1/2 year. Navy Vietnam era.

More or less sane, would rather not sit and talk about the past. Too busy getting on with life to dwell on the past nightmares.

Besides, as Groucho Marx put it, I'd rather not join an organization that would have me....

This actually works for some veterans, it's called compartmentalization, and I am really glad that you have worked it out for yourself. I have a good friend, special forces, and he has fairly successfully lived this way for his whole life. He didn't access counseling until the last several years, he's 66yrs old. Any of us that survive sane is a Win.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Those of us that are dealing with a profound PTSD were very often, (but not always), a long term case of child abuse and/or neglect, and/or molest BEFORE we got to the military where the trauma occurred. We were weakened, we were often unaware. Some of of my childhood is so buried I still don't remember anything but flashes. It requires therapy, but we CAN survive, we can even THRIVE. I help Veterans find their footing and into counseling all the time. We didn't choose to be this, but we can choose to climb out of this hell with help. It takes real strength for anyone to admit the problem has become bigger than they can with by themselves, especially for men and women who have served. If anyone here would ever like to talk, I can recommend an excellent website where you can talk to other Veterans without fear of it getting back to friends and family, just ask me. This site is run by veterans for veterans.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I've found that my dogs are the best counsel. They love without question, and don't mind if you cry.

"Happiness is a warm puppy" is very true.

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Another story my wifes best friend uncle lost a leg so va has him reavaluated every year to see if he still qualifies for for 100% disability pay. Our va at work
Apparently this has always been the rule, but now the VA is enforcing it. This is definitely dirty pool and should be fought.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have served as Post Commander and Service Officer for both VFW and Am Legion, and a member of 40/8 in past years, Life Member of VFW. Like all organizations there is good and not-so-good. Join and see if it's for you, and if you can contribute to the good.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote