Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #743
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,019
2 US NAVY Vets

I served in the US Navy active duty from 1969 thru 1973, (AMH)Aircraft Mechanic, Hydraulics. Served at NAS PAX River MD for 2 years, then went to VF 24 (F-8 Crusader) stationed at NAS Miramar. Served 1 tour in Viet Nam on the USS Hancock with VF 24 on the flight deck for the squadron as a Troubleshooter. I made 5 trips off the Hancock into Viet Nam, including Bien Hua and Da Nang to repair aircraft. I was honorably discharged in May of 1973.

In 1975, I met my future wife, (gypsymom), who had joined the Navy out of high school, but was waiting for her 2 year Dental Technician assignment to open up. I re-joined the Navy as In Flight Technician (IFT) with VP91, at NAS Moffett Field, so I could fly to see her in San Diego and then in Barbers Point HI at her duty station. I ended up moving to HI for last year of her assignment...41 years later and 4 kids later, still loving married life and our AS adventures! Navy vets who love Airstreaming; what could be more romantic!
__________________

__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:31 AM   #744
Rivet Master
 
MaxAB's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 533
Images: 39
Thumbs up Vf-24

Hey, GypsyDad: Small world story - I joined VF-24 right after flight school in '77 and after completing the RAG in VF-124 at Miramar. A lot of the guys had been in VF-24 earlier when they flew the Crusaders. I served with VF-24 on the '78 and '80 CV-64 Persian Gulf cruises flying Tomcats. Although we weren't in the Squadron at the same time, we probably knew some of the same shipmates. BRAVO ZULU, and thanks for your service. MAXAB.
__________________

__________________
Art - W0ABX
High Desert Country of the Rockies
'85 Sovereign 25'er

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5


MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #745
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
Hey, GypsyDad: Small world story - I joined VF-24 right after flight school in '77 and after completing the RAG in VF-124 at Miramar. A lot of the guys had been in VF-24 earlier when they flew the Crusaders. I served with VF-24 on the '78 and '80 CV-64 Persian Gulf cruises flying Tomcats. Although we weren't in the Squadron at the same time, we probably knew some of the same shipmates. BRAVO ZULU, and thanks for your service. MAXAB.
Hi there! Thanks for your service! I was originally trained in VF124 hanger on F8s, while serving at PaxRiver; that's how I got to Miramar in the first plavce. That hanger became the home for Top Gun school as you may know. When I was leaving the Navy, I was accepted to work as a civilian technician on the new F14's, but due to a 6 month delay, I ended up not being able to take the position.

Recently I visited the USS Midway in San Diego, and in the ReadyRoom, was a picture of VF211 which VF24 was merged with, from one of their last deployments with the F-8's. The CO was Lt. Everett in the picture, who was my old XO when I got out. Small world indeed...perhaps we will link up in one of these aluminum events!
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #746
3 Rivet Member
 
Snaken49's Avatar
 
2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 133
The Fort Worth Alliance Air Show sponsored in part by Ross Perot's companies and Bell Helicopter is held each October.

This years show featured the Blue Angels and many stunt aerobatic performers who gave tribute to Veterans and their families.

The 2018 will feature the USAF Thunderbirds.
The show is free to the public. I recommend it if you are in the Dallas, Fort Worth area.

http://www.allianceairshow.com/Perfo.../Schedule.aspx
__________________
Old Cobra AH-1G Pilot

WoundedWarriorsFamilySupport.Org
http://www.highfivetour.com/
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #747
Rivet Master
 
MaxAB's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 533
Images: 39
Miramar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Hi there! Thanks for your service! I was originally trained in VF124 hanger on F8s, while serving at PaxRiver; that's how I got to Miramar in the first plavce. That hanger became the home for Top Gun school as you may know. When I was leaving the Navy, I was accepted to work as a civilian technician on the new F14's, but due to a 6 month delay, I ended up not being able to take the position.

Recently I visited the USS Midway in San Diego, and in the ReadyRoom, was a picture of VF211 which VF24 was merged with, from one of their last deployments with the F-8's. The CO was Lt. Everett in the picture, who was my old XO when I got out. Small world indeed...perhaps we will link up in one of these aluminum events!
Hey, GypsyDad:
Amazing! Dick Everett and I were buddies in VF-24. He was one of the several F8 drivers from VF-24 that eventually transitioned to Tomcats in VF-24 when I joined as a nugget. Small world, for sure.

I enjoyed the USS Midway tour with my wife several years ago - never served on her but she relieved us in the Indian Ocean when I was on the Connie in '80...

We're in the 4 Corners Unit and regularly attend rallies with the group. Never know, we may see you somewhere down the road! Take care, Shipmate!
__________________
Art - W0ABX
High Desert Country of the Rockies
'85 Sovereign 25'er

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5


MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #748
4 Rivet Member
 
STREMN's Avatar
 
2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 375
Veterans Online Shopping Benefit

You know how the military likes acronyms... VOSB. New program to me, saw a press release on a Navy website tonight. Gives any Honorably Discharged Vet the opportunity to shop online in the military exchanges.

There's a link with info on the Navy Exchange website:
https://www.mynavyexchange.com/Veterans

It points you at a website that verifies ability to use the online exchange.
https://www.vetverify.org/index.xhtml

After going through the simple registration process with the exchange websites you can purchase online merchandise. I did to check things out and was verified and registered within a couple of minutes.

Is it worth it, well YMMV. A quick glance around at some items like electronics and I found them slightly cheaper on the mil sites. But the mil sites don't carry everything under the sun either.

I also found that there's some variation in pricing among the mil exchange sites for the same products. Navy cheaper in one case over AF exchange. Worth some comparison if nothing else.

Anyhow a nice little perk for those that served, but didn't retire.

Thanks for your service!

Tom - S/OS #025
__________________
- Tom and Wendy - AirSTREMN from New Hampshire -
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #749
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
Hey, GypsyDad:
Amazing! Dick Everett and I were buddies in VF-24. He was one of the several F8 drivers from VF-24 that eventually transitioned to Tomcats in VF-24 when I joined as a nugget. Small world, for sure.

I enjoyed the USS Midway tour with my wife several years ago - never served on her but she relieved us in the Indian Ocean when I was on the Connie in '80...

We're in the 4 Corners Unit and regularly attend rallies with the group. Never know, we may see you somewhere down the road! Take care, Shipmate!
Sorry this took a few days...we got hijacked by some old friends in Port Charlotte FL area, and have been looking at houses. One night stay is now 5th night.....heading back to TX tomorrow, me thinks!

Yes, would be great to "hook-up" sometime..we will come down to Pensacola rally in January; not sure if your into that rally?....that's our plan anyway. We will check out that campground in next few days on way back to TX.

By the way, where are you located? We head up to MT in April from TX...perhaps could navigate through your area.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #750
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,127
Images: 1
Thumbs up

242 years old today.

Tomorrow>>>>thank a VET.

Semper-fi

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #751
Rivet Master
 
Minno's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,323
Thank you, all Veterans, for your service to our country today (and EVERY day)!

Kay
__________________
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #752
4 Rivet Member
 
PammieSue's Avatar
 
1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I served in the US Navy active duty from 1969 thru 1973, (AMH)Aircraft Mechanic, Hydraulics. Served at NAS PAX River MD for 2 years, then went to VF 24 (F-8 Crusader) stationed at NAS Miramar. Served 1 tour in Viet Nam on the USS Hancock with VF 24 on the flight deck for the squadron as a Troubleshooter. I made 5 trips off the Hancock into Viet Nam, including Bien Hua and Da Nang to repair aircraft. I was honorably discharged in May of 1973.

In 1975, I met my future wife, (gypsymom), who had joined the Navy out of high school, but was waiting for her 2 year Dental Technician assignment to open up. I re-joined the Navy as In Flight Technician (IFT) with VP91, at NAS Moffett Field, so I could fly to see her in San Diego and then in Barbers Point HI at her duty station. I ended up moving to HI for last year of her assignment...41 years later and 4 kids later, still loving married life and our AS adventures! Navy vets who love Airstreaming; what could be more romantic!
Air Force Veterans who love Airstreaming?
__________________
Dysfunctional Veteran- does not always play well with others. 19 a day is 19 TOO MANY.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #753
3 Rivet Member
 
Snaken49's Avatar
 
2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Thank you, all Veterans, for your service to our country today (and EVERY day)!

Kay


Kay,

It was an honor to serve flying Cobra Guns in Vietnam and later MEDEVAC in the Army Reserves.

Thank you!
__________________
Old Cobra AH-1G Pilot

WoundedWarriorsFamilySupport.Org
http://www.highfivetour.com/
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #754
Rivet Master
 
Minno's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,323
My dad served in the Army in the Philippines during WWII, my husband served in the Navy for 6 years peacetime, and my oldest son just retired from Navy submarine corps with 20 years in.
I get it.

Kay
__________________

__________________
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Important Notice from State Farm! Stefrobrts Insurance & Claims 39 08-06-2008 11:45 AM
AIR Midwest : Midwest Rally Recap jcanavera Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 40 12-27-2003 06:56 AM
VAC California Fall Rally 63flyingcloud WBCCI Rallies & Events 8 10-08-2003 05:05 PM
First big trip Dbraw On The Road... 4 04-18-2003 09:45 PM
colorado fall get together paul k Our Community 1 09-01-2002 07:51 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.