Old 02-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #659
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
And then they kicked a$$ and took names. Ooooorah!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #660
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down Finally......

.....the spotlight is shinning bright on the WWP, it's about time.
50% of the money raised going to those in need.....not good enough.

If you feel the need to help a Veteran.....do it locally.

Semper-fi

Bob

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #661
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I believe in one on one for any charity. That cuts out the middlemen that often skim most of the money or keep the goods.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #662
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
23 Suicides a day by Veterans, and 100,000 calls to the VA suicide hot line sent to voicemail. A surprising number or the suicides are "our" generation, Viet Nam vets. I am, in retirement, a dog trainer and rehabilitator and am training a dog now for a kid with PTSD. His dog he rescued and loved, would never pick this dog as a service dog, but we will make it work. My business plan is we do this for Vets at no charge. Just a little pay back for being alive today. IF you have a brother or sister suffering, starting to act differently get them help - asap. It works and there are a number of legitimate service support organizations that will provide a service dog if the psychologist agrees it will help, almost all do.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #663
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canyon Country , California
One of my final assignments before I retired was serving as Duty Officer in the Command Section for the Staging Hospital in Balad. Our job was to get all the wounded onto the Aircraft for a flight to Germany for follow on care. Needless to say, we were very busy from Aug/07 until Feb/08. We moved a total of 2615 patients. About 300 were in very bad shape. We constantly received gifts from all over the United States to give to the patients. We had a Conex box in the back which we called Walmart because we kept all the Shampoo, combs, soaps, toiletries, etc to distribute to the patients. A couple of times we got some goods from Wounded Warrior. The thing that amazes me not that I think about it. We should have been overrun with supplies from them. Every one of our patients should have received a goodie bag for the amount of money they were taking in. After all, this really is their first introduction into the medical system. And all patients injured in Iraq had to pass through us to get home. Never once were we given a contact from them. But, I did hear from USO, Church Groups, etc. Just thought I would pass on my two cents.

David Malin, Capt, MSC, USAFR, Retired!!!!!!!

Former Marine 81-87 Sgt Semper Fi
Former Air National Guard 87-01 MSgt
USAFR 01-12

Had enough of the B.S....but always thankful to have served, but don't miss it one bit! I would have thought by now, I would have missed it....NOPE!!!! That's when you know it's time to retire....when it's no longer fun. I just miss my friends.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:38 PM   #664
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6rv View Post
One of my final assignments before I retired was serving as Duty Officer in the Command Section for the Staging Hospital in Balad. Our job was to get all the wounded onto the Aircraft for a flight to Germany for follow on care. Needless to say, we were very busy from Aug/07 until Feb/08. We moved a total of 2615 patients. About 300 were in very bad shape. We constantly received gifts from all over the United States to give to the patients. We had a Conex box in the back which we called Walmart because we kept all the Shampoo, combs, soaps, toiletries, etc to distribute to the patients. A couple of times we got some goods from Wounded Warrior. The thing that amazes me not that I think about it. We should have been overrun with supplies from them. Every one of our patients should have received a goodie bag for the amount of money they were taking in. After all, this really is their first introduction into the medical system. And all patients injured in Iraq had to pass through us to get home. Never once were we given a contact from them. But, I did hear from USO, Church Groups, etc. Just thought I would pass on my two cents.

David Malin, Capt, MSC, USAFR, Retired!!!!!!!

Former Marine 81-87 Sgt Semper Fi
Former Air National Guard 87-01 MSgt
USAFR 01-12

Had enough of the B.S....but always thankful to have served, but don't miss it one bit! I would have thought by now, I would have missed it....NOPE!!!! That's when you know it's time to retire....when it's no longer fun. I just miss my friends.
Thank you for your Service!!!

I could never understand, nor do I think the general population even knows that the WWP restricts it's 'service' to Gulf Era Vets.

Bob

Old 03-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #665
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
.....the spotlight is shinning bright on the WWP, it's about time.
50% of the money raised going to those in need.....not good enough.

If you feel the need to help a Veteran.....do it locally.

Semper-fi

Bob
Please, please please, do not believe everything everything you read online!! The original post is a few years old and was a scam written by a competing charity onto their own charity website newspaper, none of what is said was or is true. Please check with Charity Navigator and other websites like it, Wounded Warriors ratings are still top notch, 4 out of 5 stars.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:40 PM   #666
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Please, please please, do not believe everything everything you read online!! The original post is a few years old and was a scam written by a competing charity onto their own charity website newspaper, none of what is said was or is true. Please check with Charity Navigator and other websites like it, Wounded Warriors ratings are still top notch, 4 out of 5 stars.
Sorry but it's not an "online story" and it has nothing to do with a 'competing' charity.
It's just a very poorly run outfit with pretty bad track record.

Bob

Old 03-12-2016, 10:44 PM   #667
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
23 Suicides a day by Veterans, and 100,000 calls to the VA suicide hot line sent to voicemail. A surprising number or the suicides are "our" generation, Viet Nam vets. I am, in retirement, a dog trainer and rehabilitator and am training a dog now for a kid with PTSD. His dog he rescued and loved, would never pick this dog as a service dog, but we will make it work. My business plan is we do this for Vets at no charge. Just a little pay back for being alive today. IF you have a brother or sister suffering, starting to act differently get them help - asap. It works and there are a number of legitimate service support organizations that will provide a service dog if the psychologist agrees it will help, almost all do.

Bud
Good job bud. We do best when we take care of each other, and we work together to change things at the VA. When I remember the VA that I entered in 1981 and think about the services I have had over the last month's and years, I know we have made progress. There is still room for more, and I do realize that I am at one of the best VA's in the nation and other VA's have not been brought up even close to it. But when we lose 23 a DAY to suicide, Men and Women, we need to work harder. We need to be checking on our buddies. Call on them, make sure things are okay with them. Who are your battle buddies, and how are they? It begins with us.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #668
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Dittoes on the idea that it's time to quit when it's no longer fun. I hit that point in 1976. I thank god every day for a supportive family and friends. I've outlived many of my compatriots, most of which died of natural causes as far as I know. Vietnam was not a nice experience no matter where you were, but I can deal with the occasional flashbacks most of the time. At least I'm still healthy, intact, and relatively sane. Hm. I'm in the computer business still. Maybe sanity is overrated? Admittedly, I do tell my dogs a lot of war stories, and they listen, and still love me. Who rescued who?

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:18 PM   #669
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Sorry but it's not an "online story" and it has nothing to do with a 'competing' charity.
It's just a very poorly run outfit with pretty bad track record.

Bob
I've lost my Internet so I can't get you the links to the articles that prove it a hoax, but I assure you I am correct. Check CharityNavigator.com. so you can at least see that they are regularly examined and still carry 4 out of 5 stars. I first came Cross this hoax back in october, I checked Charity Navigator and found things were fine and just blew it off. Never occurred to me that so many would fall for this and endanger such a good thing. I checked their score again. Still 4 out of 5.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:42 PM   #670
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Granbury , Texas
USN-AO1 USS Kitty Hawk CV63 1971-1975...Made two WestPac tours. Good Morning Vietnam... Yes, I'm a ShellBack...crossed the equator going to Singapore. Taught Weapon Systems to Navy and Marine Pilots and Aircrew at NAMTRADET 4030 in Mayport Fla. from 1975-1979. Got out and went home to help my father in his Custom Cabinet Business because of his failing health...Now I am semi-retired and my son who graduated from Baylor University in 1998 runs the company.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:08 AM   #671
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canyon Country , California
Wounded Warrior is not a Online Fake Story per CBS investigation

Unfortunately, it's criminal what Wounded Warrior did. I wish the whole story was fake, but CBS did a full detailed expose on the subject.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news...ject-spending/

It's not a fake story...

dm
Old 03-13-2016, 06:35 AM   #672
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Dittoes on the idea that it's time to quit when it's no longer fun. I hit that point in 1976. I thank god every day for a supportive family and friends. I've outlived many of my compatriots, most of which died of natural causes as far as I know. Vietnam was not a nice experience no matter where you were, but I can deal with the occasional flashbacks most of the time. At least I'm still healthy, intact, and relatively sane. Hm. I'm in the computer business still. Maybe sanity is overrated? Admittedly, I do tell my dogs a lot of war stories, and they listen, and still love me. Who rescued who?

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
Talking to the dog(s) is a key aspect of what I teach the person whom I am training with the dog for PTSD help. Dogs don't judge, they just listen intently. Even for folks without issues, I tell them to talk to their dogs as dogs LOVE to hear the human voice. They cherish the sound and "read" every inflection. With humans dogs pick up on Smell first, then your eyes and then your voice especially if they cannot see the eyes. I talk to every dog I train and my own constantly. Some people I work with think I'm a little off, I tell them I am a lot off, and the dogs are the only ones who understand me.

Stay Strong

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote