Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #741
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
U.S. Army 86-93

EW/Sigint Non-Comm Interceptor/Analyst

Had the pleasure of assignments in West Germany, Ft.Meade, Turkey, and South Korea.

Greetings to all, glad to have been there and done that, glad to be here now.

Hope to see you all one day on the road and shake your hands, cheers..
Welcome! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170417_224811.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	297894
edfromearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #742
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Hua! another 98!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #743
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
2 US NAVY Vets

I served in the US Navy active duty from 1969 thru 1973, (AMH)Aircraft Mechanic, Hydraulics. Served at NAS PAX River MD for 2 years, then went to VF 24 (F-8 Crusader) stationed at NAS Miramar. Served 1 tour in Viet Nam on the USS Hancock with VF 24 on the flight deck for the squadron as a Troubleshooter. I made 5 trips off the Hancock into Viet Nam, including Bien Hua and Da Nang to repair aircraft. I was honorably discharged in May of 1973.

In 1975, I met my future wife, (gypsymom), who had joined the Navy out of high school, but was waiting for her 2 year Dental Technician assignment to open up. I re-joined the Navy as In Flight Technician (IFT) with VP91, at NAS Moffett Field, so I could fly to see her in San Diego and then in Barbers Point HI at her duty station. I ended up moving to HI for last year of her assignment...41 years later and 4 kids later, still loving married life and our AS adventures! Navy vets who love Airstreaming; what could be more romantic!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:31 AM   #744
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Thumbs up Vf-24

Hey, GypsyDad: Small world story - I joined VF-24 right after flight school in '77 and after completing the RAG in VF-124 at Miramar. A lot of the guys had been in VF-24 earlier when they flew the Crusaders. I served with VF-24 on the '78 and '80 CV-64 Persian Gulf cruises flying Tomcats. Although we weren't in the Squadron at the same time, we probably knew some of the same shipmates. BRAVO ZULU, and thanks for your service. MAXAB.

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #745
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
Hey, GypsyDad: Small world story - I joined VF-24 right after flight school in '77 and after completing the RAG in VF-124 at Miramar. A lot of the guys had been in VF-24 earlier when they flew the Crusaders. I served with VF-24 on the '78 and '80 CV-64 Persian Gulf cruises flying Tomcats. Although we weren't in the Squadron at the same time, we probably knew some of the same shipmates. BRAVO ZULU, and thanks for your service. MAXAB.
Hi there! Thanks for your service! I was originally trained in VF124 hanger on F8s, while serving at PaxRiver; that's how I got to Miramar in the first plavce. That hanger became the home for Top Gun school as you may know. When I was leaving the Navy, I was accepted to work as a civilian technician on the new F14's, but due to a 6 month delay, I ended up not being able to take the position.

Recently I visited the USS Midway in San Diego, and in the ReadyRoom, was a picture of VF211 which VF24 was merged with, from one of their last deployments with the F-8's. The CO was Lt. Everett in the picture, who was my old XO when I got out. Small world indeed...perhaps we will link up in one of these aluminum events!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-01-2017, 05:54 AM   #746
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
The Fort Worth Alliance Air Show sponsored in part by Ross Perot's companies and Bell Helicopter is held each October.

This years show featured the Blue Angels and many stunt aerobatic performers who gave tribute to Veterans and their families.

The 2018 will feature the USAF Thunderbirds.
The show is free to the public. I recommend it if you are in the Dallas, Fort Worth area.

http://www.allianceairshow.com/Perfo.../Schedule.aspx
Old 11-01-2017, 07:01 AM   #747
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Miramar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Hi there! Thanks for your service! I was originally trained in VF124 hanger on F8s, while serving at PaxRiver; that's how I got to Miramar in the first plavce. That hanger became the home for Top Gun school as you may know. When I was leaving the Navy, I was accepted to work as a civilian technician on the new F14's, but due to a 6 month delay, I ended up not being able to take the position.

Recently I visited the USS Midway in San Diego, and in the ReadyRoom, was a picture of VF211 which VF24 was merged with, from one of their last deployments with the F-8's. The CO was Lt. Everett in the picture, who was my old XO when I got out. Small world indeed...perhaps we will link up in one of these aluminum events!
Hey, GypsyDad:
Amazing! Dick Everett and I were buddies in VF-24. He was one of the several F8 drivers from VF-24 that eventually transitioned to Tomcats in VF-24 when I joined as a nugget. Small world, for sure.

I enjoyed the USS Midway tour with my wife several years ago - never served on her but she relieved us in the Indian Ocean when I was on the Connie in '80...

We're in the 4 Corners Unit and regularly attend rallies with the group. Never know, we may see you somewhere down the road! Take care, Shipmate!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #748
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Veterans Online Shopping Benefit

You know how the military likes acronyms... VOSB. New program to me, saw a press release on a Navy website tonight. Gives any Honorably Discharged Vet the opportunity to shop online in the military exchanges.

There's a link with info on the Navy Exchange website:
https://www.mynavyexchange.com/Veterans

It points you at a website that verifies ability to use the online exchange.
https://www.vetverify.org/index.xhtml

After going through the simple registration process with the exchange websites you can purchase online merchandise. I did to check things out and was verified and registered within a couple of minutes.

Is it worth it, well YMMV. A quick glance around at some items like electronics and I found them slightly cheaper on the mil sites. But the mil sites don't carry everything under the sun either.

I also found that there's some variation in pricing among the mil exchange sites for the same products. Navy cheaper in one case over AF exchange. Worth some comparison if nothing else.

Anyhow a nice little perk for those that served, but didn't retire.

Thanks for your service!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #749
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
Hey, GypsyDad:
Amazing! Dick Everett and I were buddies in VF-24. He was one of the several F8 drivers from VF-24 that eventually transitioned to Tomcats in VF-24 when I joined as a nugget. Small world, for sure.

I enjoyed the USS Midway tour with my wife several years ago - never served on her but she relieved us in the Indian Ocean when I was on the Connie in '80...

We're in the 4 Corners Unit and regularly attend rallies with the group. Never know, we may see you somewhere down the road! Take care, Shipmate!
Sorry this took a few days...we got hijacked by some old friends in Port Charlotte FL area, and have been looking at houses. One night stay is now 5th night.....heading back to TX tomorrow, me thinks!

Yes, would be great to "hook-up" sometime..we will come down to Pensacola rally in January; not sure if your into that rally?....that's our plan anyway. We will check out that campground in next few days on way back to TX.

By the way, where are you located? We head up to MT in April from TX...perhaps could navigate through your area.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #750
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

242 years old today.

Tomorrow>>>>thank a VET.

Semper-fi

Bob
Old 11-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #751
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Thank you, all Veterans, for your service to our country today (and EVERY day)!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #752
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I served in the US Navy active duty from 1969 thru 1973, (AMH)Aircraft Mechanic, Hydraulics. Served at NAS PAX River MD for 2 years, then went to VF 24 (F-8 Crusader) stationed at NAS Miramar. Served 1 tour in Viet Nam on the USS Hancock with VF 24 on the flight deck for the squadron as a Troubleshooter. I made 5 trips off the Hancock into Viet Nam, including Bien Hua and Da Nang to repair aircraft. I was honorably discharged in May of 1973.

In 1975, I met my future wife, (gypsymom), who had joined the Navy out of high school, but was waiting for her 2 year Dental Technician assignment to open up. I re-joined the Navy as In Flight Technician (IFT) with VP91, at NAS Moffett Field, so I could fly to see her in San Diego and then in Barbers Point HI at her duty station. I ended up moving to HI for last year of her assignment...41 years later and 4 kids later, still loving married life and our AS adventures! Navy vets who love Airstreaming; what could be more romantic!
Air Force Veterans who love Airstreaming?
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #753
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Thank you, all Veterans, for your service to our country today (and EVERY day)!

Kay

Kay,

It was an honor to serve flying Cobra Guns in Vietnam and later MEDEVAC in the Army Reserves.

Thank you! [emoji4][emoji631]
Old 11-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #754
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
My dad served in the Army in the Philippines during WWII, my husband served in the Navy for 6 years peacetime, and my oldest son just retired from Navy submarine corps with 20 years in.
I get it.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:21 PM   #755
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Still in

604th MP BN - Army Reserves, Terre Haute, IN.
Army ROTC - Eastern Illinois University
1st CAV, 4-5 ADA BN - Ft. Hood, TX. Active Duty
202 ADA, Illinois National Guard, Marseilles, IL.
1st Infantry Division, Kirkuk, Iraq - called up to active duty
30th Infantry Brigade, Champaign IL. Illinois National Guard
75th Training Division, Army Reserves, Ft. Sheridan, IL.

1995-present

and...1976 Land Yacht International - 2003 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:32 AM   #756
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
IMG_0058.GIF

Happy New Year to all the Veterans and their families!
Old 03-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #757
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
So anyway, for the sake of conversation. Way back when I was on active duty, we used to make fun of the guys who would plaster the back window of their vehicle with stickers showing off all their military accomplishments. Some guys would have a sticker from every unit they'd ever served with, Airborne, Ranger, expert marksman badge, combat in infantry badge, etc...
We'd say these non-discrete supertroopers were driving around with their 201 file on their back glass. Since we were all military, it seemed very cheesy to brag about going to Airborne school or firing expert with a rifle.
However, now that we're all off active duty and retired for the most part, do my fellow vets hold a very different viewpoint toward this practice? After all, we all worked very hard for those accomplishments.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #758
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I'm still a few years from retirement... But I definitely think driving around with your entire ERB plastered on your bumper isn't a very classy choice. Now, a simple "U.S. Army Retired" decal or license plate frame or some other tasteful reference (a la the "IRQ/I served" ovals), that's cool. Personally, I'm a zero bumper stickers kind of guy. You've got to know me and ask me for my stories and opinions.
edfromearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #759
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
I was discharged in 1968 after two tours in the infantry in Vietnam. I was in uniform in an airport on San Francisco and fell asleep waiting for my plane home. I was awakened by two MPs and told to go sleep in the USO lounge because it wasn't safe to be in public in uniform. A few years ago when it again became cool to be a vet I started putting emblems on my vehicle.
thad1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #760
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thad1947 View Post
I was discharged in 1968 after two tours in the infantry in Vietnam. I was in uniform in an airport on San Francisco and fell asleep waiting for my plane home. I was awakened by two MPs and told to go sleep in the USO lounge because it wasn't safe to be in public in uniform. A few years ago when it again became cool to be a vet I started putting emblems on my vehicle.
And I can confirm it wasn't that much better in 1976...
But nowadays I have a "NAVY" sticker only on the back of the pickup truck, and considering a Vietnam Service ribbon there as well.

Since I'm out here on the "Left Coast" I'm still debating with myself about the relative risk/benefit of putting any NRA-type sticker on it. Might attract violent anti-gun types...but let's NOT get political here in the forums...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote