Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Venting - Cannot Seem to Register my Trailer

How do you fight city hall - or the Government of Ontario in this case?

I've been attempting to register the Airstream that I purchased at the beginning of October in the US, in the Province of Ontario.

This should be easy says I...this is the second trailer that I've imported.

On the first visit to the license bureau (you know where this is going), there was much scrutiny of the foreign title. 'Not much on this' was the line. The conclusion - no listing for the empty weight of the trailer, therefore you cannot register the trailer. "Just go have it weighed."

Difficult I say - it's in winter storage, and cannot be retrieved until the spring. (locking in behind many other RVs).

"Sorry" was the response - "that's the only way..."

No other way? ... Again, No - you have to get it weighed.

"How about a letter from the manufacturer" I ask? "Would this work?"

"Oh...yeah, that will be OK." ggggrrrrrr. Thanks for you help.

A few days later I needed to be in the same area, and decided to take in the user's manual. It has all the base weights listed for the trailers.

No...you need a weight slip...(or a letter I reminded them)...Yes, or a letter.

I drop an e-mail to my new friend at Airstream in customer relations. He helped me with a letter pertaining to recall clearance for the RIV import process.

Can you give me some documentation I ask? No problem. A letter arrives via e-mail very quickly.

Cut back to the license bureau. Much scrutiny of said letter. No, we cannot authorize. We'll need to call. Time spent while the clerk wades through a menu system...then on hold...and finally a human. She reads the letter verbatim. Answers a few questions, then hangs up.

No she says...we cannot take the letter because it doesn't say the "empty weight". "But" Interject - that is what 'Base Weight' is!.

No - you need a new letter.

Am I mad?

Typing this helped...

I hate bureaucracy...

So I still don't have plates for my trailer. The keen reader would wonder why all the trouble given that the trailer is in storage. The insurance company is the answer. They want to see the registration. And I'll need the plates when I pick up the trailer as the temp permit that I used previously would have long expired.

Thanks for listening...

Now I need a new letter. Not too many words to confuse people. Just a big font that says EMPTY WEIGHT!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
When I had the same problem, no weight on the US title, I got out an old typewriter and typed a weight on to the title. No more problems! Sometimes the simple answer is the easy answer.

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
When I had the same problem, no weight on the US title, I got out an old typewriter and typed a weight on to the title. No more problems! Sometimes the simple answer is the easy answer.
I like that! Not so simple to get a typewriter these days however.