Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2002, 09:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Velvet Ride spring shackles?

Anyone using the Velvet Ride spring shackles? I'm trying to soften up the harsh empty ride on an '02 GMC 1500HD 2wd. Crewcab. Lowering the tire air press. helps, but to tow I have to blow 'em up again. A neighbor has a 4wd. Chev. 2500HD crew w/a duramax and the Velvet Ride shackles. He says the ride is better but he also has big fat off road tires on it. The shackles are about $200 which seems kinda steep, unless they work good----then they're a GREAT DEAL. Of course, the testimonials in the company's advertisements are glowing, but I'd consider opinions from you Airsteamers more seriously.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Howard
Old 12-24-2002, 06:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The only way I can see you could soften the ride with a shackle is to use a softer rubber in the bushing. In turn I can then see the bushing failing quicker. Shackles aren't all that easy to change, I would hate to have to put them on my maintenance list.

Leaf springs are going to ride hard compared to coils. HD will be stiffer yet. Try some softer rear shocks. I have even put a few hundred pounds of sand bags in C30s that were absolute bone shakers.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

John, take a look at www.Velvet-Ride.com. There is more to it than softer rubber in the bushings. I agree that having to replace shackle bushings that wore out prematurely would be a pain. This thing apparently has a hinge or joint in it that is rubber sprung or dampened internally. I'm no engineer(don't even work for the railroad) but I've messed with car/truck stuff since I was big enuff and I may bite on this. At the worst it's $200, some crud in my eyes, and a skinned knuckle or 2 or 3. Sure woudn't be the first $200 I pi$$ed away. Supposedly these were developed by BF Goodrich and this company Lords owns it now. I was hoping that another member had taken the plunge and could give me a yea or nay. I don't mind the ride on the truck too bad, but my wife wanted a Suburban or Yukon XL and is REAL critical everytime we go over a speed bump. Maybe Santa will bring her a 'Burb for Christmas---yeah! and a ZO6 Corvette too. Maybe I'll sprout wings too, but I doubt it. Howard
Old 12-24-2002, 08:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Velvet ride

We put them under our 95 GMC 2wd to smooth out the ride, we did not have the AS at the time, it took out the bounce from the leaf springs, you better make sure you can get the bolts loose on your shackles, we tried putting them under a 91 but the bolts were to rusted to get them out, even with a lot of wd-40, I did not have any trouble installing them, a couple of jacks to move the body and axle to line up the holes and no broken knuckels. I had a few calls from NAPA where I had brought them when other people came in to buy them, they wanted to know what I thought of them, one fellow wanted to smooth out the ride on his pick-up when he was running solo.
Gene Wissink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 09:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Gene, How long ago did you buy them at NAPA? I looked at NAPA on line and didn't see a listing. Hope they still have 'em, I get a pretty good deal at my NAPA dealer on some items. I shouldn't have difficulty getting the bolts out, the truck is pretty new and I only drive on nice clean roads. Thanks again, Howard
Old 12-25-2002, 08:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Velvet-ride

I got them about 1 1/2 yrs. ago. I am finding out that the web products lists do not have the odd stuff on them.
Gene Wissink is offline   Reply With Quote