Old 02-20-2004, 03:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Update on MoonBeam - interior

I am just so so pleased with our purchase! _ Peter is dying to see the inside in the daylight - just will have to wait till tomorrow.

I braved the cold and ran out an extension cord for a portable heater - too chicken to plug anything in yet - that is the Hubby's job! - Anyway the mold spots throughout and the dust bunnies have been calling me for the past three days.

While cleaning you get to see so much more - especially in the daytime I am amazed at the similarities to our Yacht - just kidding our 20 ft Cuddy Cruiser.

At first glance you think you are going to have to pull everything out to clean, and repair things - but now I am pleased to report that we are one of the lucky ones to have found a 35 year old A/S that has obviously been "loved" by it's PO's!

There are a few spots where pipe sweating has caused some mold staining - and when we load her up for the water test in the spring we will be ready for any leaks!

The glue on many of the laminated doors has deteriorated and may be our biggest job - to re-surface/glue some of the cupboard doors.

The "Plastic" hinges have become very brittle with age and we will no doubt have to replace them - as everything I touch seems to break well a few things like one of the drawer plastic hinges and one of the plastic hinges on the dinette backrest.

We were questioning how much is original as this A/S is in such great shape! Today I got my answer - besides the addition of carpet with some pretty thick underpadding - EVERYTHING is original. Even the curtains and cushions - which I found an Airstream material tag still intact.

We will need a few trim pieces such as the gold/brass trim on two of the forward bulkhead cupboards - and I think the overhead light plastic covers are at the end of their day too - when you touch them they disintegrate - yikes.

I even found a lot of neat goodies left in the aft storage compartment (crow bar, lug wrench, 12V air pump, hydraulic jack, jumper cables, chain, black shore power cord and more!!!) Hubby will be very pleased.

The closet which is a generous size even has brass coat hangers - which I would love to know if they were standard issue when Airstream rolled them out?

A few cranks, fuzzy window seals, lever knobs are missing or broken - nothing major so far (except the fridge door skin). The only other thing I can see is the galley work counter has a pretty good warp and has dropped half an inch. But we know the culprit - it is called a Zenith MONSTER - this VHS machine must have weighed about 40 pounds - bouncing on the top since mid to late 70's it is a wonder the counter survived at all!

Wally thought of everything! even the small bevels in the counters so that eggs do not roll on the floor - just like in a yacht!

I'll post a few pictures here now but I will try to post in my album our first set of photos of the interior later tonight - Keep in mind this is only a slight clean - we have done nothing else to her.

What a find and to us what a buy! Now I know what the VAC means about spend a little more on your initial purchase price and you save big time in the long run!!!!

To all those out there who have rebuilt your units from ground up I tip my hat to you - after seeing how these A/S are made up close - WHAT A HUGE JOB!

(We are not full timers...yet... - but we will be pretty heavy duty part timers - no kids just two good size dogs - they will have their bed and Peter and I ours - so everyone will be happy! and it is the perfect size for us - as we spend most of our time outdoors!)

PS does anyone know who the dinette seat on the right folds out to a single bed? - Our owners manual is on route

Sorry for the long post - but I'm sure some may have been very curious as to the condition MoonBeam is in.

Is there anyone else out there with a 1969 or 68/70 GlobeTrotter 21 ft?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette copy.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	4889  

GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Buckhorn , Ontario
Here is the aft Stateroom - the Head is to the right (wet bath - sink/ toilet with shower base) and the mirrored door is the closet. There are two bottom drawers with plastic bins and a little slide our dresser at the corner.

I am not sure but the wood look like teak veneer - if so - will it ever look sharp oiled up.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2004, 04:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Buckhorn , Ontario
This is the Galley looking from the Dinette.

Yep no kidding all original! The only thing that gives it away is if you get to see the curtains and cushions in real life Still great but very very tired. The backing on the curtains is almost rubbed off. And the underside of the cushions are somewhat moldy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	galley.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	4891  
Old 02-20-2004, 04:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado

She's a beaut. Looks really solid and I like the blue, gives it some pizzazz.
"would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?"

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Custom floorplan?

I've never seen a GT with that floorplan, I wonder if it was made to order?

Out for coffee!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1969 21' Globetrotter
1972 27' Overlander
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
I have a "new" '69 GT with the same floor plan.
gypsymoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Originally Posted by GT6921

I am not sure but the wood look like teak veneer - if so - will it ever look sharp oiled up.
I'm pretty sure the wood is a birch veneer. I have the same thing in my Bambi II. I used Watco oil on my cabinets and it renewed the dried wood and gave the cabinets a nice sheen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cabinet before-after Watco Oil.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	33083  

WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote