Old 09-22-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Up in flames

Waaah!!! after 11wks of backbreaking work we were ready to go to the a/S repair to have a new a/c,door lock and other bits and pieces done up.Had made new screens ,drapes,re-upholstered both couches and scrubbed and bleached every inch of our argosy.I was really pleased at how well everything had cleaned up.Had been plugged into house power with no problem-unplugged to hook up .My spouse came in to let me know he had plugged back in for my last project.I heard a fearful racket and ran to the door.Flames were coming through the roof.My husband had a hose on the propane tanks and the trailer was melting.It's hard to measure time when your're in shock but it couldn't have taken more than 10-15 minutes.Had called the fire dept.,the truck sank to its axles 200ft away the coupling came apart on the foam hose 20 ft away.It didn't matter the fire had burned out leaving only the door intact(it was open at the time).How could we have prevented this? The wiring we could see was intact.Is this akin to being struck by lightning and am I free from a repeat -any feedback appreciated.

fuzzywickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
OH MY GAWD!! I hope no one was injured. At least you didn't say anyone was. Was this caused by propane or did it catch fire from something else? What a terrible thing to happen.

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
The only injury was my broken heart-the trailer was only one large (and now scorched) gardenia bush from the house.The heat melted a birdfeeder and lights on the deck.The odd thing is that I live on a creek and have had 8 ft of water surround the house.I was sure Ophelia was going to get us.Flood, fire,what next?locusts
Old 09-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
I am so sorry! Another Argosy bites the dust.... and a fine gardenia bush.

I can't fathom what happened although maybe someone else will... I can share a recent near miss at my house:

We were out of town sans argosy and got a frantic call from our 17 year old who smelled "Big" propane in the yard.. He turned off the valves on the trailer tanks and it went away. When we got home we discovered that the regulator had wiggled apart and was leaking.

I cannot imagine how crest fallen you must be right now... call your insurance company and start again - next spring is a long way off - loads of time.

Start again - it'll be worth it.
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
How sad but little blessings, it could have happened while you were both in the trailer and away from a hose or fire department. The trailer sadly is gone but hopefully you will find or even want a replacement. You are both safe, after that the rest is just stuff. It hurts for sure, emotionally and financially, but there's more trailers and you've both got a lot of life to live yet. We're thinking of you. Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:36 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
Thanks for all your support.It was like getting a group hug.With all the focus on Katrina and those who have no home I felt like a" whinny baby "for being so upset.Part of the frustration was not knowing for sure what caused it"Arcing" was mentioned ,a short causing the wiring to superheat,I didn't think the insulation was that flamable.We had a cool spell the previous week and I wanted to sleep outside and try out my new bed.Might have been toast for breakfast...shudder. Anyway ,I will start again but it seems all you left coasters have the good stuff.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
That's such a bummer. Is anything salvageable?
clecogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I'm so sorry!

That's so heartbreaking! Can you tell where the fire started from (front, middle, rear)? Where any appliances (water tank, furnace, fridge) on? This is every owner's nightmare. I'm glad you and your husband were ok.

3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote