Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I'm a big fan of Spartan Manors, can't wait to see pictures of your new trailer. I, too, would likely buy a Spartan as a second trailer if I found one in good condition and got a "deal."

So, are you planning on working on the unit with your Dad up in Oregon, or down here in Texas?

Anyway, welcome!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I have a Spartanette 24,and 2 Airstreams,just joined Tin Can Tourist a few months ago,we have all makes & models,only stipulation is 25 yrs old,you can find site on web and see what they have going on in Texas.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
You need to PM balrgn on this forum. He's lost in the restoration of a 40's or 50's Spartan right now. I think his posts are under "adding to the herd". His wife is afraid he's going to freeze out there but she's having a difficult time getting him to come out of it. I know there's a twelve step program to help him if we could just get him out of the thing.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Great Story, & Welcome

A friend of mine had a Crescendo park model with new hardwood floors. Absolutely stunning! I would like to have it on a piece of property.

Photos, please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crescendo.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	74099   Click image for larger version

Name:	creslayout.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	74100  

Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
A friend of mine had a Crescendo park model with new hardwood floors. Absolutely stunning! I would like to have it on a piece of property.

Photos, please.
That is very interesting! Never heard of or have seen this floor plan. I guess 50'x10' really adds to the possiblities. Here are a few photos of a standard version.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spartan 014.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	74103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spartan 017.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	74104  

Name:	Spartan 013.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	74105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spartan 011.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	74106  

safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet It was very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
That is very interesting! Never heard of or have seen this floor plan. I guess 50'x10' really adds to the possiblities. Here are a few photos of a standard version.
Yeah, 2 bedroom 1½ bath is really quite a step up. It had (I hope still has) a nice deck off the living room windows/sliding door. Parked in a wooded area outside Austin, TX. My friend is now an Airstreamer, too. Just not a computer user.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Wow, you guys are amazing. It is very humbling to get such a sincere welcome. Now I feel kinda lame for not having pictures at hand. I will deliver asap. My Dad said he has the owners manuals so I will be sure to share those to any interested parties when I get my mitts on 'em.

Ah memories... man, this has been one well-loved trailer. I personally remember seeing Niagra Falls, the Grand Canyon, the Redwoods, The Rocky Mountains, the Pacific Northwest (my Daddy's people are from Spokane originally) and quite a bit of Ohio (we had good family friends in Yellow Springs). Oh. New Orleans, too. And, of course, Texas which is where I am from. My Dad was a college professor so we really did it up on a loooong Summer vacation each year. Bear in mind that my Dad had already had it for about 25 years by the time I was old enough to have memories! We pulled it with a Big Ole Lincoln for years... sorry, no model/ year details. My Mama really is NOT a fan of the trailer- lots of work for her. But as I reminded her when this project came up, we sure did have fun.

I think I see your friend balrgn on the Spartan forum... have only registered there, not posted yet. It's alot to soak up.

Um... Marcus UTee 94? I was planning to do my restoration at your house. Ok, just kidding, but I did sit down and read your blog, in it's entirity, over a Diet Dr. Pepper this morning. Sorry if that creeps you out. But I need to make some Texas friends as I plan to have the trailer stashed in the Hill Country primarily as a week-end place. My in-laws are in Wimberley, we are in Houston, so we are looking for land somewhere in between. I have a husband and small kid and we think we will use it most as a week-end place, hopefully taking it out for Texas spins and the occasional big trip. But at this point in our lives vacation time is pretty limited so we have to work with those perimeters for a while.
Antaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
One more thing: Thanks to all who posted great pictures- Safari 62, you have the photos down. All that honey blond wood...

And wow- the amazing Cresendo floor plan. I had heard about those Dee Lux 50 x 10 Spartans, but sheesh, seeing is believing.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Good Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaylor View Post
Wow, you guys are amazing. It is very humbling to get such a sincere welcome. Now I feel kinda lame for not having pictures at hand. I will deliver asap. My Dad said he has the owners manuals so I will be sure to share those to any interested parties when I get my mitts on 'em.

Ah memories... man, this has been one well-loved trailer. I personally remember seeing Niagra Falls, the Grand Canyon, the Redwoods, The Rocky Mountains, the Pacific Northwest (my Daddy's people are from Spokane originally) and quite a bit of Ohio (we had good family friends in Yellow Springs). Oh. New Orleans, too. And, of course, Texas which is where I am from. My Dad was a college professor so we really did it up on a loooong Summer vacation each year. Bear in mind that my Dad had already had it for about 25 years by the time I was old enough to have memories! We pulled it with a Big Ole Lincoln for years... sorry, no model/ year details. My Mama really is NOT a fan of the trailer- lots of work for her. But as I reminded her when this project came up, we sure did have fun.

I think I see your friend balrgn on the Spartan forum... have only registered there, not posted yet. It's alot to soak up.

Um... Marcus UTee 94? I was planning to do my restoration at your house. Ok, just kidding, but I did sit down and read your blog, in it's entirity, over a Diet Dr. Pepper this morning. Sorry if that creeps you out. But I need to make some Texas friends as I plan to have the trailer stashed in the Hill Country primarily as a week-end place. My in-laws are in Wimberley, we are in Houston, so we are looking for land somewhere in between. I have a husband and small kid and we think we will use it most as a week-end place, hopefully taking it out for Texas spins and the occasional big trip. But at this point in our lives vacation time is pretty limited so we have to work with those perimeters for a while.
My friend’s Crescendo is (or was, its been a while) in Rolling Oaks, between Wimberley and Driftwood. I bought my ’67 Trade Wind in San Marcos in the late ’80s. It’s a beautiful area.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
just a few more photos

Alex
Good luck with your trailer. Sounds like a keeper and a family heirloom. Sometime it would be great to see old photos of your family travels in the places you mentioned. And towed by a big ole Lincoln. Can't wait to see photos if you have them. I have enjoyed scanning many old photos with scatches and all.

One more thing, both of the trailers I sent photos of had frames break during transport, even though they are in excellent condition. So make sure everything is good to go for the big trip.

Just a few more photos 'cause I can't help myself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spartan 019.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	74119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spartan 020.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	74120  

Name:	Spartan 021.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	74121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spartan 023.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	74122  

Old 01-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:

If you really can’t help yourself, I will indulge you by appreciatively looking at all of them.

What a great trailer!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Wow - pulled with a big ol Lincoln - that is sooooo coooool! Surely you must have some old camping photos you can scan and post - we would LOVE to see camping pictures with a very cool Spartan trailer and big ol V-8 50's iron Lincoln! All the Spartan pictures we ever see are those sitting somewhere, never in camp sites...

Maybe we could all come over when you get it to Texas and sit around and look at old pictures and home movies...

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Alex
One more thing, both of the trailers I sent photos of had frames break during transport, even though they are in excellent condition. So make sure everything is good to go for the big trip.

HooBoy. Safari62, what, um, exactly, does "frames break during transport" mean?

Good thing you had those seductive pictures to keep my mind on the goal because frankly, I have a hellufa learning curve ahead of me... good thing I'm tenacious.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Frame rot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaylor View Post
HooBoy. Safari62, what, um, exactly, does "frames break during transport" mean?

Good thing you had those seductive pictures to keep my mind on the goal because frankly, I have a hellufa learning curve ahead of me... good thing I'm tenacious.
I found one on ebay a few months ago ,a 53 I drove up to Bradenton to look and the frame was rotted out right were it went under body.
As such my bid was reflective to frame condition,of course I was outbid on the trailer,my bid was $2259.00. Top bidder turned it down,so it was relisted ,second time around it solld for $1550.00.My cable went down also my computer,if not I would have owned that 35' Mansion.
Just check frame before starting. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Yes......the two I know of bent or broke up at the front A-frame area or where the front body attached to the frame.

Both problems happened "on the road" but owners were able to limp to a repair shop before really bad things happened. Is is probably not uncommon with trailers that stay in one place for twenty or thirty years.

Your idea of using the Spartan as a groovy country getaway sounds like the plan. The Airstream (that you will own one day) can be the escape pod to travel with. We have about fifty thousand miles on our Safari since it was recycled six years ago. It has even been to Salem, OR. Even early sixties models have dual electrical systems with batteries, water storage and black tanks on board with gas refrigerators. All this allows not having to rely on RV parks for hook ups, etc.

We will be waiting for photos!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spartans 002 [800x600].JPG
Views:	150
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	74176  
Old 01-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #36
Gypsygirl1 and Hubby

1959 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Ontario
Quote:

Your idea of using the Spartan as a groovy country getaway sounds like the plan. The Airstream (that you will own one day) can be the escape pod to travel with.
We will be waiting for photos!
Good idea ! ! That is EXACTLY what we have -- our 52 Royal Spartanette on Lake Erie for summertime residence, and now the 59 Tradewind for travelling. Heading out with the 59 on Thursday ! ! You can see why we can't use the Spartanette in the winter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JUNE 2008 007.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	74225   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 AUG 006.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	74226  

Attached Images

1954 Pacemaker 32 ft (summer guesthouse)
Tin Can Tourists Vintage Trailer Club
gypsygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Gypsygirl, does your Tradewind not use LP?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #38
Gypsygirl1 and Hubby

1959 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Gypsygirl, does your Tradewind not use LP?
Yes, our Tradewind does use LP.... That picture was taken the day we picked it up from polishing and we hadn't yet installed the new aluminum 30lb tanks.
1954 Pacemaker 32 ft (summer guesthouse)
Tin Can Tourists Vintage Trailer Club
gypsygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan