Old 02-16-2004, 08:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Ultimate Airstream

Does anybody remember a thread where everyone gave
design specs for a perfect Airstream. What are your
must have features on a " perfect trailer"?

Old 02-16-2004, 09:06 AM   #2
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Re: Ultimate Airstream

Quote:
Originally posted by mandolindave
What are your must have features on a " perfect trailer"?
A walk-in humidor and a microbrewery.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
1. Single axle.
2. Rear bath.
3. Mid twin beds
4. Front sofa

Hmmmmmmmm. Looks like Airstream should bring back some of the vintage floorplans! Always loved the big rear bath. (A person should have plenty of comfort while doing his business.)
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Ultimate Airstream

To me, the Ultimate Airstream wouldn't be that much of a change from one that was produced several years ago under the Argosy banner - - the Argosy 24 Rear Door Model as shown in the floorplan below:

Changes that would make it even more attractive would include:

Increase length to 27'
Add a front door between kitchen/dining area and bedroom (part of the reason for additional length)
Use Modern Disc Braking System
Add bulkhead wall with pocket door to front bedroom
Utilize Dometic 3-Way RV Refrigerator/Freezer
Utilize free-standing drop-leaf dinette table rather than fixed dinette (ala-60's Airstreams table) shown below:

The one thing that kept me from considering a new coach when I was looking at costs to restore my Overlander was the lack of any modern coaches with the "classic" full-width rear bath - - after having my Overlander, I would never consider another trailer without the full-width rear bath.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

I have been reading the forum for about a year, and am
very thankful for all the great info. I spent a LOT of money
upgrading my trailer to your specifications. " She" is in the shop
now and I am having separation anxiety. She is getting a 50s
diner style kitchen. Altho she won't be original anymore, she is way cool. My wish lists now has dwindled down to an outside shower.
Again , thank you all so very much
Old 02-16-2004, 10:58 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Re: Ultimate Airstream

Quote:
Originally posted by overlander64
To me, the Ultimate Airstream wouldn't be that much of a change from one that was produced several years ago under the Argosy banner - - the Argosy 24 Rear Door Model as shown in the floorplan below:
Hi Kevin,

Neat layouts. Did they actually produce those, like the rear door model and the L shaped dinette/couch that the illustrations show? I've never seen photos quite like either of those.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Ultimate Airstream

Greetings Stephanie!

Quote:
Neat layouts. Did they actually produce those, like the rear door model and the L shaped dinette/couch that the illustrations show? I've never seen photos quite like either of those.
Yes, the coaches in the illustrations were actually produced - - 1977 was the last year, so far as I can determine, for the Rear Door Model in the 24' length (and it appears to be the only year that it was offered). In at least the prior two years (1975 & 1976) a similar floorplan (only with a front lounge rather than twin beds) was offered in the Argosy 22. The Rear Door Model evidently wasn't particularly popular, but there are at least (or were at one time) two of each length Rear Door Models owned by Forum members. Sometime in 1977, the Minuet series introduced the 6.0, 6.7 and 7.3 Metre coaches that seem to have replaced the regular Argosy 20, Argosy 22, and Argosy 24 models.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:47 AM   #8
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Why did they discontinue the Argosy?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Pretty close to what I have

My ideal would be my Classic 25 with an added foot of length. I would make the following changes:
A. 6" more space behind the transverse queen bed so that you could actually get back there when making the bed. There could then be a small bedside table behind the bed.
B: 6" more counter space in the galley to allow for some small drawers.
C. 6: more lounge length. The added lounge length would be enough to accommodate a small easy chair in the lounge.
D. 2" more width in the bathroom. The bathroom is apparently pre-wide body width and the hall is more than wide enough. Just 2" more width would make the bathroom so much more user friendly.

I would actually like to see my 25 with a 54" full-size bed in place of the 60" queen. That would yield the extra 6" to make bed-making and getting up at night much more user friendly. A full bed is just fine for us. There would be a loss of some under-bed storage, but a small table could be added in the rear quarter as described above to make up for some of that.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
OK, this is on-topic only because it might be an ultimate floorplan for someone with height issues. Now that I have that 26-foot wreck, which was a few feet longer than I expected to buy, I figure I'd have the room for a layout that might even accommodate that 6'7" appendage of mine with some comfort. This is what I was thinking; can anybody advise me why it couldn't be done because of plumbing or weight issues or something like that?

1) Rear queen
2) Next slice (4 ft?) for a bathroom that spans width of coach. One one side is sit-down shower for his comfort, on other is toilet & sink. Pocket doors to bedroom & living space.
3) Next comes dinette/couch/whatever
4) U-shaped kitchen & storage goes up in front to right of door, since I'm the cook in the family & don't need a lot of headroom. This would leave the roomiest part for living space.

Personal preferences that would be satisfied by this are 1) Totally private bedroom; 2) No toilet next to the kitchen (can't explain why this bothers me) 3) Good head height & use of center in bath 4) Efficient kitchen layout with fridge close to door for patio parties.

As attractive as the perfectly vintage restorations are, I'm much more intrigued by the ingenious & personal alterations people make to their trailers, so that's the route I'm hoping to go.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:36 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
Party at Porky's!

My wife and I are planning to either buy a new Airstream in a couple of years, or find an older one to customize. We plan to full-time in it, and I've been watching Airstream's web site for further info on the 30-foot Safari bunkhouse model. I was toying with the idea of having A/S build a closet where the bunks go, but I like Porky's idea better.

A walk-in humidor. Yessiree! Problem is, filling a humidor that big could cost as much as the tow vehicle.

Now where can we fit that beer gear?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

To Overlander......Thanks for the layout diagrams. I went to your photo section and discovered such interesting Argosy literature.
I too am a fan of the rear bath, and you have validated my desicion to enjoy it even tho she might get a saggy rear.
Wait ....that didn't come out quite right....No maybe it did?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

To Overlander......Thanks for the layout diagrams. I went to your photo section and discovered such interesting Argosy literature.
I too am a fan of the rear bath, and you have validated my desicion to enjoy it even tho she might get a saggy rear.
Wait ....that didn't come out quite right....No maybe it did?
Old 02-16-2004, 07:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I think that a 34 foot custom job would work for me. Rear full bath, with twins in the center and a real queen goucho in the front. A compact funtional galley area. Kind of like what I have in my 28, just streached out to the 34 foot platform. All the modern hardware, but the feel of the 66-68 International package except the interior colors would be more of a southwest flavor. I have to agree on the humidor, but not walk in, just a nice 12 by 12 size would be nice.

The most important thing about the trailer would be, no phone and no TV.

Under edit; That would be twin bunk beds.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote