Old 08-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
, Texas
Smile Uh-Oh the wheels are coming off

Let me set the scene for you. This was my first vacation in over 6 months and what a better way to spend it than taking my girls and wife on an adventure in our relatively new 2004 28' International CCD.

We were trying to beat some of the weekend traffic and about 30 miles into the trip I saw some smoke coming out the side of the Airstream. Then some cars were starting to point at the Airstream and telling me to pull over. Once I pulled over, I got out to see that I had a flat tire to fix. I proceeded to go to the next exit and came upon a Discount Tire store. As they pulled the wheel off, I noticed that it burned a hole right through the wheel well!!

Ok, I piece of bad luck doesn't mess up an entire trip. Later in the week, it rained on and off all day, only to discover 3 different places that the Airstream was leaking!! Our neighboring campers were shocked that this was happening to an Airstream, no less. Oh, did I mention that this is a 2004 model.

It only gets better, because our awning buckled and bent the support stansion into what can only be described as a boomerang shape!! It's not that easy to tow an Airstream down the road with your awning flapping in the wind, so we went to the local metal works shop and had them improvise to get the pole back into some sort of shape.

You know what they say, it's not what happens to you that matters, rather it's how you react to it. Well, I'll let you know my reaction, once I figure out what Airstream is going to cover. The bottom line is we still love our unit and hope to get it back into playing shape soon.

Towhead

Old 08-01-2004, 08:42 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

I am sorry to hear about your trip. Any ideas How the wheel get that high into the wheel well to burn a hole in it?

Old 08-01-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm04F250
I am sorry to hear about your trip. Any ideas How the wheel get that high into the wheel well to burn a hole in it?
That's a good question and I am only able to speculate that the heat generated from the flat and some possible friction from the tire contributed to the hole. I am still trying to figure out why the tire blew out??

Don't get me wrong, however, we still enjoyed our trip in light of our misfortunes.

Towhead
Old 08-01-2004, 09:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Positive attitude

Towhead, Your positive attitude is inspiring to us all. You've experienced two of my worst possible AS nightmares with your spirit and family intact. This is what warranties and insurance are for. I'd like to know more about how the awning buckled. Was it the freak gust of wind or (putting this delicately) operator error? There's much to learn on this forum.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 08-01-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
Towhead, Your positive attitude is inspiring to us all. You've experienced two of my worst possible AS nightmares with your spirit and family intact. This is what warranties and insurance are for. I'd like to know more about how the awning buckled. Was it the freak gust of wind or (putting this delicately) operator error? There's much to learn on this forum.
Thanks,
Ken
Thanks for the encouraging words.

As for the awning, we had it rigged properly and it with the intermittent rain, it buckled. While one might conclude that it was operator error, we're not talking about a foot of snow sitting on the awning. Plus if it was due to the rain, it's interesting to note that no other campers showed any signs of stress with their awnings. However, if the awning structure is that sensitive, then Airstream should put a warning label on the unit or perhaps strengthen the support stantions.

I am assuming that these are all fixable items and hopefully, I got all of the bad karma out of the unit in one trip!!

Towhead
Old 08-01-2004, 10:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhead
Thanks for the encouraging words.

As for the awning, we had it rigged properly and it with the intermittent rain, it buckled. While one might conclude that it was operator error, we're not talking about a foot of snow sitting on the awning. Plus if it was due to the rain, it's interesting to note that no other campers showed any signs of stress with their awnings. However, if the awning structure is that sensitive, then Airstream should put a warning label on the unit or perhaps strengthen the support stantions.

I am assuming that these are all fixable items and hopefully, I got all of the bad karma out of the unit in one trip!!

Towhead
Sorry to hear about the misfortunes you've had so far...

I would just mark them off as "one of those things!" However as I've stated in other threads, with each camping trip we've been on, we've always learned new and better tricks that make setting up easier.

As far as the awning is concerned, whenever it's set up it should be lower on one end in order to allow the water to freely run off (IMHO). I'm wondering if it may have been set up with each end at the same height; allowing the water to accumulate on top.

Best of many future camping trips and welcome to the forums!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:03 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
On my old SOB I learned the hard way to remember to tilt the awning. No one ever told me either. I broke a support arm due to the water pooling. Sometimes the school of hard knocks is your only teacher.

Just curious, did you check your tire pressures before going on the road?

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

It really surprises me to learn that a 2004 model was leaking. Sounds like the factory guys are getting sloppy. Please post as soon as AS responds so we can all know how they intend to compensate you, if at all..................

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:06 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

, Texas
The wheels are back on

Here's a brief update on my recent mishaps. The hole, leaks, and awning are all now in working order. Although I haven't received the final bill yet.

Now that our unit is fixed, we were out enjoying Labor Day weekend in our CCD. It did rain one morning, but no leaks!! Several people stopped by to check out our unit, with a lot of compliments. We also drove by a bunch of kids playing volleyball on our way to go camping and they were all waving their arms, as though they were expecting Paris Hilton to roll down the window.

In any event, there are boundless opportunities for getting out and enjoying your Airstream with family, etc. Just like the title of Lance Armstrong's book reads "Every Second Counts", I think the same could be said about owning an Airstream. Especially, if you can only get out on the weekends!!

Towhead
Old 09-07-2004, 09:53 PM   #10
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
BILL? You ARE kidding, right?
Old 09-08-2004, 09:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtolman
BILL? You ARE kidding, right?
Maybe I won't open up the mail for a few months. Actually, I'm curious to see what the service center is going to charge me. It should be noted that they are only charging for the items Airstream won't cover through their warranty program... it all sounds so innocent.

Hey, even if I have to sell the mansion to pay the bill, I am still left with some pretty cool digs to move into.

Towhead
Old 09-09-2004, 05:59 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
A.S. Love

Your love for the A.S. is truly inspiring. It is hard to be too down when you have an A.S., even if you hit a few bumps in the road.

I can't wait to hit the road with mine again. The Paris Hilton comment is hilarous. I always fear people will mistake mine for the same. Mine is exactly the same model, minus the mess inside.

Andy
Old 09-09-2004, 07:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Co-miseration Time!

I don't know if your experience makes me feel any better or not about the 'infancy' problems with my '04 Safari!