Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2003, 03:27 PM   #1

Type: 131-T63-1993

I am looking for any information I can find on an Airstream type:131-T63-1993, Date of Manufacture 10/24/75. I have an opportunity to buy one that is currently a fixture on a seldom used river fishing spot. I have only seen it once from the outside. I do not know what it is worth or even what model it is. Can anyone help me with the limited info I have?
qdriver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 04:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

From the information that you have, my guess would be (assuming that the first digit in the type might be an I):

Thirty-One Foot Airstream Sovereign International Land Yacht with twin beds produced in 1975, but sold as a 1976. If this is the case, it should be between 31 and 32 feet when measured from tip of tongue to edge of rear bumper, and the coach should have tandem axles.

So far as value is concerned, it would vary greatly depending upon the conditon of the major systems. This would include such things as the axles, frame (this coach would be of the size and era where rear end separation as well as frame sag could be issues), condition of the exterior skin, functionality of major systems (refrigerator, furnace, water heater, air conditioner, water tank, pump, holding tank(s), water supply lines, Univolt, electrical system), conditon of interior componets, and soundness of the floor system. A thorough inspection is necessary to ascertain a value, but the site linked below should help in determining a value based on such an investigation:

Vintage Airstream Price VS Conditon

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 04:32 PM   #3

Live Oak , Florida
Serial Number Identification

According to information I found on line, the serial number is broken down like this:
I International model
31 length of trailer
T rear bath, twin bed
6 year (1976)
3 I suspect this is really an "S" meaning it was assembled
at the Santa Fe Springs plant
1993 sequential serial number

When you go to see the trailer, take an ice pick and closely examine the floor next to the walls for rot, indicating a leak.
If you can find an experienced RV person, take them with you to help you examine the trailer.

Good luck.
Barbara
franklyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 05:37 PM   #4

I31-T6J-1993

Thank You for the info. The second "3" was acutally a "J". Where can I find out more info on this model? How many people is it designed for? I am New to RVing and Airstream.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Quote:
How many people is it designed for?
As a general rule, most Airstreams of this vintage were equipped to sleep up to four persons in reasonable comfort - - two in the bedroom area on the twin beds (in this case), and two on the pull-out lounge in the front of the coach. This coach's production date would be toward the end or past the end of the offering of optional "hammock bunks" that would have been installed over the twin beds - - these were essentially aluminum framed canvas army cots suspended from steel cables attached to roof brackets with the outboard edges resting on wall mounted brackets (the limitation was the weight capacity for the sleeper in these bunks that usually limited them to children).

Quote:
Where can I find out more info on this model?
You can find some photographic details on the 1976 Sovereign International at:

1976 Sovereign International Photographic Data

There are a number of variations of the available floorplan illustrated at the above including the center bath with rear bedroom as well as the rear bath center bedroom configuration.

You can learn about the coach weight at:

Airstream Weights and Measures

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 05:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
If everything I have seen about the year and model its the same as mine. Get a good look at the floor on the inside, look for possible buckling at the rear axle if it has frame sag it will start running down hill at this point. Check the floor at the twins to see if they are flush with the floor or if there is any seperation of the twin from the floor. Check all this without the rear unsupported, best if you can allow it to be unsupported for a few days it will show.
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 07:54 PM   #7

I31-T6J-1993

Thank you all so much for all the information. I have a family of five. My wife, a four year old daughter, our newborn twin daughters and myself.
After all the research I have done, I wonder if this model is the best choice or maybe I should investigate a newer larger RV. (even though I have always liked the idea of owning and restoring a classic AS)
The idea of RVing has only came into my mind since our newborns arrived. (and my father bought a large RV a couple of years ago.) I am very new to the whole idea to say the least. I only thought RVing was for retirees in their late 50's or 60's.
I have alot of new concepts to think about.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:20 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you are looking for one to sleep the whole family and stay in an Airstream you may need to consider a 34 footer. The front couch forms a double bed, the dinette makes a twin or so, and then the rear can either be twins or a queen size.

This may require the kids to do some sleeping together, but at the least you could give everone their own bed. I figure the youngest ones will be in a small crib in the corner of the rear bedroom or between the twin beds for now or you could come up with a way to "wall" them into the dinette for the night.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:04 PM   #9

3 F-4's in a bottle

Quote:
If you are looking for one to sleep the whole family and stay in an Airstream you may need to consider a 34 footer.
Some how that made me invision three F-4 tornados in a bottle

But watching them wake up to a sunrise over the Grand Canyon would probably be woth it!