Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Herndon , Virginia
Two adults, two kids - what to buy?

Hi All!

we are a family of four: two adults, mid 30s, and two kids: 5 and 9mo.
Looking to go RVing full time for about a year in 2015.

I guess ideal setup would be two beds, or one master bed and two bunk beds for the kids.

Goal is to visit parks...during the summer/fall and spend winter down south.

Currently own a RAV4 which I would sell and get something to tow the airstream with.

What model would suit us best? the Classic?
Veik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Flying Cloud 30' Bunkhouse.
Look up PharmGeek on here. He has many threads detailing his search for the trailer and tow vehicle- over 1,000 posts (rivet master) before he even owned a trailer!
You will need at least a 1/2 ton pickup or comparable SUV, ideally a 3/4 ton pickup.
A Classic is really a 2 person trailer (a man and his wife + pet(s)).
Do a Google search for the Flying Cloud 30' Bunkhouse. Visit Airstream's website to view and compare models.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Dayton , Ohio
Our 23D with bunk just came off the line last friday. I believe it will work just fine for 2 adults and 6 yr old twins girls.
rumbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
23d bunk? Is that a new model?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Herndon , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbac View Post
Our 23D with bunk just came off the line last friday. I believe it will work just fine for 2 adults and 6 yr old twins girls.
are you getting the International 23D?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yep. The 23D is a new model. I just saw a video presentation by Patrick at Colonial.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Realize, I think the question here is full timing...

I am still a newb really, and NOT a full timer...so others can chime in there for sure...but full timing in a 23 I will venture a guess would be very challenging with 2 kids.

I am not entirely sure I would want to fulltime in an airstream with 2 kids at all? But if for "only" a year, then perhaps I could do it?

Note that the 23 bunk model is different than the "bunkhouse" model...when I first heard about this model (and I do like it) I thought they would have a bunkhouse of some kind for kids and sacrifice that for the living room...but it was not that..it seems to be a more standard 23 layout, but with a hanging bunk above the master bed...which is cool....and perhaps in other ways not so cool?

Why the full timing for a year out of curiosity? Just to travel and see places or is this a finaical saving idea? What will be the AS use beyond 2015?

The full timing criteria will be a real wrinkle in this discussion for sure.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
my comments in this recent thread contain all important links about the 30BH model just about worth reading....I think

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ls-117978.html

My comments are not till page 3...and in them I link to several bunkhouse related posts for your review.

Of course, I think it may be worth considering an older used 34 footer if you are handy and build your own bunks...and there are folks that have an older 34 customized by others per their owns specs.... there is a user on here that has a 34 with custom bunks he had done...pretty nifty...user name andreasduess

Old 04-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Herndon , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Realize, I think the question here is full timing...

I am still a newb really, and NOT a full timer...so others can chime in there for sure...but full timing in a 23 I will venture a guess would be very challenging with 2 kids.

I am not entirely sure I would want to fulltime in an airstream with 2 kids at all? But if for "only" a year, then perhaps I could do it?

Note that the 23 bunk model is different than the "bunkhouse" model...when I first heard about this model (and I do like it) I thought they would have a bunkhouse of some kind for kids and sacrifice that for the living room...but it was not that..it seems to be a more standard 23 layout, but with a hanging bunk above the master bed...which is cool....and perhaps in other ways not so cool?

Why the full timing for a year out of curiosity? Just to travel and see places or is this a finaical saving idea? What will be the AS use beyond 2015?

The full timing criteria will be a real wrinkle in this discussion for sure.
To travel, to downshift a bit. Been doing the same office routine in DC for 10+ years now and its time to do something else.

Beyond 2015 AS will be used for shorter vacations, or so we think...
Old 04-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Herndon , Virginia
By the way, since we are in DC area, is Colonial in NJ the biggest and closest full time airstream dealer to us? We might go to philly in few weeks and make an extra detour to check out a few models.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I just was in Reston yesterday visiting my sister...lol...I digress...yes, colonial is where you want to go...very easy decision I think for sure. huge selection, good service all say, and competitive pricing with them....

Old 04-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Herndon , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I just was in Reston yesterday visiting my sister...lol...I digress...yes, colonial is where you want to go...very easy decision I think for sure. huge selection, good service all say, and competitive pricing with them....
Sounds like a plan.
Now if only AS website had a better compare tool lol
Old 04-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
true, but being that you are so close to colonial, this will be much better than such a tool....

Some of the spec sheets on AS website are good for comparison of weights for towing concerns

Old 04-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
We own a 34' and are also in the process of restoring a 27'. If you plan to keep it longer term, I would also suggest the 30 Bunkhouse. We now have two teens and the ability for them to occasionally bring friends is a very nice option. (The option of letting them sulk in their bunk is nice too)
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
How much would the length of a 30 ft trailer limit the camping options over the 23 (or other lengths)? My understanding a lot of national parks have a 27' limit. If true, I wouldn't consider the 30.
snakyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Dayton , Ohio
Veik,

We went with the Flying Cloud, but did upgrade to the International window blinds.
rumbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...re-118164.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...rks-43474.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...rks-43474.html

I too wondered about this question...as many others have (as there are even more threads on the subject if you keep using the google search function)....

Smaller has its benefits it seems with some last minute reservations...I have already seen that even down here in the southeast as we looked for camping reservations for our 30' bunkhouse...smaller opens up more options...but in my particular case, it would have had to have been pretty short...cant rember now but 23 will be a length to let you in most places...but even that has exceptions...

On the other hand there are many posters on this site with 30+ foot rigs that get the job done finding sites just fine on trips across the US including national parks (with some exceptions noted by those folks).

27 vs. 30 is probably not terribly different with respect to this consideration...trailers 25 and less are more likely to be the lengths to offer much more noticeable benefits on access when things are tight...

Others have said it on here, but I ended up hanging my hat on the notion that "first choose the right AS for the family, then worry about restrictions"....but I only put it in that manner after verifying that for my region there is plenty of camping available for my length...which there was...and the drawbacks mentioned in all the threads are manageable anyway....another compromise.

I see you live in Washington State...so perhaps others that live or camp there can offer more insight about your camping restrictions in that state.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Much depends on whether having a full time bed for the adults is important to you.

We own a 1984 34' model. Our three young boys (the oldest turning 4 and nearly 2 year old twins) share the bedroom, two beds and we added one bunk that runs perpendicular.

We moved the gaucho forward a foot and filled the remaining gap with an upholstered spacer. In the evening it folds out to a large and comfortable Queen bed for my wife and myself. Oftentimes we just throw a huge quilt over it during the day and use it as a play/reading/resting area. If not, our memory foam topper and bedding neatly fit behind the backrest of the sofa, rolled up and covered by a blanket.

Personally I prefer this setup because the interior feels more spacious that way, but I know that almost anybody who owns a bunkhouse, loves theirs.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have had a 28' (32' actual length) and a 30' (31' actual length) and I have only found 1 park I couldn't get into. It was so terrible anyway I didn't want to stay there.
My understanding is that Yellowstone and other National Parks cannot accommodate a trailer of this length.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The bunkhouse certainly gives everyone good sleeping space, nice family Airstream for the o.p. who apparently is planning near full-time. Personally I like the living space in the front of the trailer but in this case the trade-off would certainly be reasonable.

I tried Yosemite for reservations recently and only 27' was available. They have some larger sites but it looks like they go fast and early, and that may be the case elsewhere as the trend has been towards larger RV's.

Right now we are in a pull-through section of a large RV park surrounded by MH's and big fivers for a couple days, not good. Diesels starting up and running for no apparent reason, and coming/going, A/C's on, exterior radios and televisions on. It's a nuthouse, like among the semi's overnight at a Flying J or an interstate highway rest area.

We can be thankful even the largest Airstreams are relatively small and we don't have to hang out with this crowd for lack of a big camp site.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote