Old 06-10-2004, 03:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
TV Selection

I can't believe that I've finally arrived at the point where I can start thinking about the little things! I know that the new Airstreams are coming with LCD TVs (optionally) but I'm having a rough time justifying their expense (---the LCD TVs, that is!) A good 20" Sony flat screen sells for about $250 and weighs about 55 pounds. I'm still checking to see if the dimensions will work - but aside from that, does anyone else have any thoughts on a good TV selection? The next question is, with a 55 lb TV how do you keep it tied down? The commercial adhesive straps seem to be limited to the smaller (13") TVs. Even if you put the TV on the floor CRT tubes are heavy towards the screen side and it's difficult to secure it in place. The only accessory I'll need is a DVD player - and those are getting small enough to tuck away anywhere.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
20" TV???!!!

you people with the big trailers crack me up.

just put it on a table next to the jaccuzzi

you know, I saw one of those million-dollar motorhomes on the travel channel...had 3 (not 1, nor 2 but THREE) 60" plasma tvs. good grief!

one for the front, one for the back, and one for outside. (slides out from a "basement" compartment.)

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

With the digital broadcast tv changeover looming we just bought the cheapest tv we could fit in the front credenza. This took care of tie-down issues.

The nice thing about the LCD tvs is that they essentially have only two dimensions, making secure storage much easier.

Mark
Old 06-10-2004, 06:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I strongly advise spending as little as possible on any TV right now.

Except upper-tier HDTVs, current TVs have only NTSC analog tuners and will not be able to pick up local broadcast TV when the industry switches to ATSC digital in 2006. Yes, external ATSC tuners are available, some standalone, some built into HDTV-capable satellite receivers. Both are very expensive at this point, but will hopefully come down in price by the changeover.

The technology with which external source boxes connect to the display is also changing. Previously, that has been NTSC video, S-Video, and component (YPrPb) video, all analog, and none with copy-protection. For the last few years, there has been a digital connection battle between IEEE1394 Firewire with 5C (aka DTCP) copy-protection, and a special form of DVI with HDCP copy-protection. The former scheme keeps the source data compressed until it reaches the display, and has provisions for broadcasters to allow copying, on devices like D-VHS. The latter decompresses the compressed source data in the source box, requiring the high bandwidth of DVI, and ensuring the data is too voluminous to copy, even if the HDCP encryption is broken. Moviemakers are against home-copying and supported the latter, which appears to be winning the connection battle, and most current HDTVs come with at least one DVI-HDCP connection. Mitsubishi is the primary supporter of Firewire. It is important to note that current computer monitors which use DVI for input WILL NOT be able to view video from DVI-HDCP sources. In the future, the only way to copy a program may be to a hard disk inside the source box (like TiVO).

DVI-HDCP is on its way to being replaced by HDMI, which integrates the audio signal into the connection, and will allow for things like pop-up advertisements, and menus to be injected into the video stream by the source box. The good news is that HDMI is supposed to be backwards compatible with DVI-HDCP for the video portion, requiring only separate audio cables (as has always been the case).

I've determined that the widest TV that will fit on my 34 Limited's credenza is 18" wide (not diagonal). While, in theory, this should accomodate a 20" diagonal display, I've found none that narrow. About the largest tube-type TV that will fit in the real-world is a 13-14" model. My advice is to buy one of these, from Toshiba or Sylvania for example, as cheaply as you can find it, and wait until near-2006, or later, to invest in a good video system.

[on edit] Oh yeah, your Winegard batwing antenna will still work in the future because TV will still be broadcast on the same radio frequencies (RF) and the antenna doesn't care whether that RF is carrying analog or digital data.

Hope this helps,
Old 06-10-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Thanks Maurice - but I think that you blew everyone's brain cells on the explanation! The 20" Sony probably fits your guidelines - other than for physical size. I have a 13" sitting on the credenza now but, with respect to Chuck's snide comments, my wife and I's 65 year old eyes would appreciate a bit more size! I wasn't born yesterday Chuck - I was probably camping in tents when you were still wearing diapers. If you don't have anything positive to offer shut your computer down and go play with your toy trucks. The nice feature about the 20" CRT flat screen Sony is that it has a pedestal tie down feature that would solve my dilemma about securing it in place.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:02 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Question

Uh-Uh-----HUH

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 07:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
... I wasn't born yesterday Chuck - I was probably camping in tents when you were still wearing diapers. If you don't have anything positive to offer shut your computer down and go play with your toy trucks...
Cracker:

Woah, dude,

The following is the opinion of the writer only.

I have an entirely different interpretation of what Chuck was trying to say - I think he was complimenting you on your larger trailer, and even a little envious that you had the space to even think of a 20" TV.

It is also my opinion (as a user - note that I am not a moderator) that
Flaming, at the very least, should be with withheld until there is something to Flame about.

One of the reasons this Forum is so successful is the minimization of (personal) attacks. -- Personal opinions, you bet, but personal attacks - no way.

Soap box off - Moderators are welcome to edit or delete this post.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 07:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
If I was out of line I sincerely apologize to Chuck. I appreciate good-natured ribbing - so I guess I just took Chuck's comments the wrong way. There was a follow-up comment (---that has since been removed) that probably egged me on a bit. I agree about the flaming! I'm usually too thick-skinned for off-handed comments to bother me - regardless of how I interpret them!

Old 06-11-2004, 08:52 AM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Cracker:

- I think he was complimenting you on your larger trailer, and even a little envious that you had the space to even think of a 20" TV.
um...yeah. what HE said.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:03 AM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
If I was out of line I sincerely apologize to Chuck. I appreciate good-natured ribbing - so I guess I just took Chuck's comments the wrong way. There was a follow-up comment (---that has since been removed) that probably egged me on a bit. I agree about the flaming! I'm usually too thick-skinned for off-handed comments to bother me - regardless of how I interpret them!
Apology accepted. but I decided to take your advice anyway, and go do some testing on my new tow vehicle. Granted, the wheel base is a tad short, but it makes a cool popping noise.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
You made my day Chuck! Thanks!

Old 06-11-2004, 02:01 PM   #12
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Just in case you've been saving up for that flatscreen TV for your AS...checkout the dell outlet online (www.delloutlet.com). I just bought a 17" widescreen LCD for $529 ($624 with 2 day shipping and tax). It will also double as a PC/laptop monitor and even run PC in Picture. All the inputs and HDTV ready. I went by the dell kiosk at the mall before I purchased it and the picture quality was pretty impressive. They have about 90 of them on the outlet site.

It is also has a handle and is on a quick release mount so I plan to use it as a second monitor in the home office then mount it in the AS when we go camping. I love double utility and this way I don't need to leave it "locked" in the AS when were not using it.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I just don't get why people want to take a TV with them to the woods unless they don't like the company. Makes my skin crawl when I hear the TV blasting in a trailer. Makes the campground sound like a trailer park, which alot are becoming anyway with those park models.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:09 AM   #14
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychpw
I just don't get why people want to take a TV with them to the woods unless they don't like the company. Makes my skin crawl when I hear the TV blasting in a trailer. Makes the campground sound like a trailer park, which alot are becoming anyway with those park models.
In another time, I would agree. But, with the way the world is now, with the threat of terrorism and all, I think it's probably a good idea to have a small TV of some sort with you. The volume can always be adjusted to prevent disturbing neighbors.

As others have suggested, I don't think I'd put a lot of expense into a TV for the trailer. Regardless how you strap it down or mount it, road vibrations are bound to pay their toll on it, while traveling. It's easier to replace a $150 - $200 portable every few years than worry about replacing a $500+ model that only gets the useage when camping. Just my opinion.