Old 06-12-2004, 10:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

We watch very little tv at home and one of the things we enjoy while camping is to watch a few movies (checked out from the library - I'm too cheap to buy them). Its too dark at night for hiking.

Mark

Old 06-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
We like to sit at the dinette, play cards, listen to the radio, and talk. Thinking of getting a short wave ? for remote areas but don't know enough about them.
If I were to have TV in the trailer I would do it with my notebook PC and an external adapter like this. http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...23&Langue_ID=7
I travel with the notebook for Mapping, journaling, photo storage,...
Will also play DVD's and CD's. Has it's own battery and requires a very modest DC / AC converter to run off the trailer batteries. Only wish the high end tablet PC weren't so expensive.

Old 06-12-2004, 11:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
We're gettin' by 'til '06 with a little 9" Phillips color TV we already had, which is a little less than desirable with the further distance the credenza is from the couch on the 34' (and 31' and 28'). A 13-14" CRT would be good enough, and a 17" 4:3 LCD would be great!

One might note when considering a 17" 16:9 widescreeen, that it only displays 4:3 programming, which is still most of it these days, at about the same size as a 14" 4:3 TV. Where the 17" 16:9 beats the 14" 4:3 TV is viewing widescreen DVDs, however the 17" 16:9 isn't much larger at this than a 17" 4:3. Play with the size numbers here.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #18
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
While I completely agree about camping with TV's blasting (it annoys me to) I have a few very good reasons for the fancy shmancy TV we're installing in our MH. They are aged eight, four and three. Perhaps it's one of those differences between traveling with a trailer that has a TV you can't see while in trasit and traveling in a MH. Since we tend to take long trips (1000+ miles) which span a full day or more on the road, several times a year I don't consider a TV/DVD a luxury...really more of a mental health necessity!

There is nothing better to calm the kids after four hours of midwestern "scenery" then popping in "Finding Nemo" or "The Lion King". Once we're in camp...the TV goes away and we hike, camp, visit local places, etc.

Additionally I use the AS a ton for work trips and while I enjoy sitting in my AS it'll be nice to pop in a movie instead of looking out the window at a Super Wal-Mart or RV Dealer's parking lot all evening.

One more note on the Dell TV we purchased. It's light. It's small and it's removable. We plan to drop it in (one button release on the mounting plate) before a trip (I"m buiding a new entertainment cabinet curbside) but the rest of the time it'll be the PC monitor in our home office. Two for the price of one. I love that part.

We'll drive DVD's from one of our laptops (yes we're a two laptop family) as a second monitor...leaving the laptop screen for GPS and the like.

One more comment - I was in a new RV yesterday that had three plasma screens! One in the bedroom, one dropped down from the ceiling over the driver and passenger seats and one was mounted in the curbside underbay - presumably so you can watch the game on a 42" screen from the fireside!

Is that still considered "camping"?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 01:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Steve, I'd really like to see a picture of how that 21" wide Dell fits on the Airstream credenza. It would sure tell me a whole lot more than just using a tape measure! It just seems to me that TVs with speakers on the sides wouldn't fit there very well.

One tip about using the Dell TV with a DVD player. The Dell has a Faroudja DCDi (Directional Correlational Deinterlacing) chip, so there's no need for a progressive scan DVD player. Even if you have one, you'll probably get a better picture by setting it for interlaced output, and letting the TV do the deinterlacing. The chips in many consumer-grade DVD players (besides Panasonic which uses the Faroudja chip) aren't up to the same quality.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:25 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychpw
We like to sit at the dinette, play cards, listen to the radio, and talk. Thinking of getting a short wave ? for remote areas but don't know enough about them.
If I were to have TV in the trailer I would do it with my notebook PC and an external adapter like this. http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...23&Langue_ID=7
I travel with the notebook for Mapping, journaling, photo storage,...
Will also play DVD's and CD's. Has it's own battery and requires a very modest DC / AC converter to run off the trailer batteries. Only wish the high end tablet PC weren't so expensive.
Thanks for the link. That's pretty cool. I bought a dell laptop to replace my desktop at Christmas time, planning to also take it on the road with us when we're going on longer trips. I'd planned to use it for DVDs, and thanks to the iPod it already has my entire music collection on it. With that little do-dad it looks like it can be a tv too. Best of all I can hide it away when we're not in the mood for high tech entertainment. I agree that the best thing about camping is reading, playing cards, and just living the quiet life for a few days. But hey, TV is nice sometimes too.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:45 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Big Change ahead

Yes I put an LCD 15 inch in the hole as it is all that will fit. Fantastic picture and is compatable with my HDTV tuner. Got it from JimsBestdeals on e-bay for about $350. As somewhat of a buff I must recommend the new DLP (Digital Light Processor) projector like that from SAMs Club. I installed a larger version in a Theater and it is fantastic. It is small, can be partially hidden on the ceiling and projects on the inside on a screen that will now pull down inside the windshield. The monitor now can display awsome HDTV, DVD (Soon to be replaced by Blue Ray) and can be used for current low grade regular TV. These are being installed all ready in very High End RVs but are really easy to enstall yourself. They are perfect for RVs. Be sure to make room for 16 X 9 ratio screen. The DLP is an American invention that produces a fantastic picture and is not that expensive. See any Sams. Remember you still need a receiver or DVD or a HDTV tuner but they are relatively cheap and can be changed with technology. The one you have already will work with regualr TV/ Ron
Old 07-08-2004, 03:14 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

We're new to AS, ours is soon to go into production (Bambi19'INT) so am following all threads here to learn and appreciate all opinions. Size limits us to 13"LCD type to be installed on arm that will allow screen to swivel facing table or bed, (also frees up space on top of fridge where connection is), but will none of these tv's work with the new industry switch?

Our dealer here is installing and I am free to bring tv of choice, any brand suggestions here in this size?

Will our 2yrs new Philips HDTV be a pricey dvd player in 2006 ?

Also, I'm new to forum and see SOB in referrence to other trailers...can any here enlighten me? All I can think of is sh*%ty other brand...am I close?

Cheers from sunny San Diego, where there are no AS's to be seen...didn't even know they were still in production! Husband picked this out who never buys a thing and I'm in love!!
Old 07-08-2004, 03:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Like most, I just wanta camp~!! No newspapers, no TV, but..I do carry a little 13" w/dvd player built-in for watching movies.
(When it raining outside)
I think HDTV is great but, for now I'll leave that for the "home-base"...
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodie
We're new to AS, ours is soon to go into production (Bambi19'INT) so am following all threads here to learn and appreciate all opinions. Size limits us to 13"LCD type to be installed on arm that will allow screen to swivel facing table or bed, (also frees up space on top of fridge where connection is), but will none of these tv's work with the new industry switch?

Our dealer here is installing and I am free to bring tv of choice, any brand suggestions here in this size?

Will our 2yrs new Philips HDTV be a pricey dvd player in 2006 ?

Also, I'm new to forum and see SOB in referrence to other trailers...can any here enlighten me? All I can think of is sh*%ty other brand...am I close?

Cheers from sunny San Diego, where there are no AS's to be seen...didn't even know they were still in production! Husband picked this out who never buys a thing and I'm in love!!
felicitations rhodie!
there will be conversion boxes available when the switch over occurs,,,so not to worry...
SOB stands for some other brand, although, you were correct but not pc..
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for info Norby .

We also watch little tv but having progressive scan I hate the lines even if it's just the news, so hopefully will find flat 13" tv to fit arm and take up less room.

I have a mac powerbook for dvd's so just looking to buy a tv, and anyone with same setup that works well please chime in with what works for you!
Old 07-08-2004, 12:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Just Wondering.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodie
........I have a mac powerbook for dvd's so just looking to buy a tv, and anyone with same setup that works well please chime in with what works for you!
If the primary requirement is saving space and watching the news.....

would there be TV card available for the notebook?....maybe an adapter box via a USB cable?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:15 PM   #27
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
We watch very little tv at home and one of the things we enjoy while camping is to watch a few movies (checked out from the library - I'm too cheap to buy them). Its too dark at night for hiking.

Mark
Mark,

You and my wife must be cut from the same cloth...

Twice now I have started a trip by towing my trailer to the library parking lot on the way out of town!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:24 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
If the primary requirement is saving space and watching the news.....

would there be TV card available for the notebook?....maybe an adapter box via a USB cable?
There are some mac compatable products I've read about but not tempted to buy till I hear more, but display on this powerbook is great and would be perfect. Would have to be via usb or firewire as macs don't use cards so small flat tv still best bet unless someone has mac osx set up for tv on laptop and they could share info?