Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2005, 07:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Turned off by the new Safaris

Last month we stopped at a dealer to check out the new units thinking we might like to have a new Safari. We had not looked at the new ones for a couple of years and was really surprised by the plain look of the interior of the Safari. Ours is a '99 and there is a huge difference in the two interiors. The '05 we looked at seemed really down graded in the window dressings, making for a sparse look. Also, the lack of carpet on the walls. We were very disappointed. Came away thinking there was no way we would give that kins of money for one. Made ours look good again. Since then, we have looked at the 30' Classic with the slide and it is a knockout. I want one!
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorrider2001
Last month we stopped at a dealer to check out the new units thinking we might like to have a new Safari. We had not looked at the new ones for a couple of years and was really surprised by the plain look of the interior of the Safari. Ours is a '99 and there is a huge difference in the two interiors. The '05 we looked at seemed really down graded in the window dressings, making for a sparse look. Also, the lack of carpet on the walls. We were very disappointed. Came away thinking there was no way we would give that kins of money for one. Made ours look good again. Since then, we have looked at the 30' Classic with the slide and it is a knockout. I want one!
Did you get a look at the 2006 25' SE FB model? It looks like a knock out for two.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
No. They didn't have but the one '06 (30' Classic with slide) but are supposed to be on the way. Claims most are sold in advance. No, I lied to you. They did have one of the 25' FB. Nice layout but again, it seemed plain inside. It had the brown interior.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
...really surprised by the plain look of the interior of the Safari. ...seemed really down graded in the window dressings, making for a sparse look. Also, the lack of carpet on the walls. ...very disappointed.

Since then, we have looked at the 30' Classic with the slide and it is a knockout. I want one!
Probably why there are different models to choose from. What's the problem, buy the Classic!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
No. They didn't have but the one '06 (30' Classic with slide) but are supposed to be on the way. Claims most are sold in advance. No, I lied to you. They did have one of the 25' FB. Nice layout but again, it seemed plain inside. It had the brown interior.

Take a look at this link http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...options.html#1

The have leather available also.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I looked at the Safari and think the lack of carpet on the walls was a total advantage that I wish the larger units had. The aluminum interior is awesome but the Safari and Bambi are targeted to younger people...so I think. Think how easy it is to clean. Agree it's not as warm looking but love the retro look. I have noticed over the years how many high dollar custom jobs have went that way too, even the Spartan and Silverstreak. I just like it!
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I viewed your photos and can see the difference in your Safari and the current Safaries and understand your view of the current models. I like the bare aluminum of the SE models because of the clean, contemporary lines and the ease of cleaning that was previously mentioned. I agree that your interior has a warmer appearence, but if you want the clean, contemporary lines of the CCD and don't like the harshness of the CCD's cabinetry, the Safari SE is a good alternative.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:09 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Like Minnie's Mate, I looked at your photos also and I agree that your AS looks very cozy and homey. We have a 2005 SS SE LS with the Midnight Sun (brown) interior. With two kids, we liked the uncarpeted walls because we figured it'd be easier to wipe the walls than to try to lift our carpet shampooer up there ! I also like the mix between the ultra-modern CCD model and the traditional "wood" of the Safari. I also love the big windows and the lighting is to-die-for. To make up for the sleek monotone of the browns and blacks, we've added some colorful throw rugs and accessories - very cool. We love it.
Roadsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:19 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have an '04 Safari and love it....is it a luxo coach, yes and no. Are there areas where it could be improved...sure, and to me, that's where the special editions come into play. However, I know what you mean about the 30' Slide....Jack Canavera has one, and when that baby is parked and slid out, it's like he's got a living room. There is only one minus IMHO about the 30' unit and that is that the bathroom is part of the hall. The A/C unit is closer to the front of the coach, so if someone eats Mexican or something that could bother one's digestive system, they open the doors, you are gonna enjoy it twice. Particularly on the warmer nights when you can't leave the doors to the head closed cause you won't get any cool.

If they had a side bath, the 30' would be the perfect coach. The 31' is darn close...the main issue I found with the suggestions here was that the front couch has almost no room between the dinette and the couch....which could easily be fixed by making the shower moved to the other side like on some other coaches....though you'd take a hit loosing some storage......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
25' Fb Se

We pick ours up tomorrow. The metal interior is one thing from the CCD line that we liked. I wasn't so willing to go with all the CCD glam. I'd still find CCDs easier to take than the Classic interior IMHO. What I look forward to is bringing the outdoors in through the great windows. That'll get me yearning to finish my morning coffee toot-sweet and pull on the waders!

I agree -- your photos show a nice model!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You're gonna love those front and back panoramic windows Bob.

That is one sharp coach.....I hope to be able to get an '06 SS SE LS Say that three times fast.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Special Editions

We liked the 25 foot Safari Spec. edition because it didn't have furry walls and carpet - right now there isn't a classic that fits our tastes, to fancy/flowery.
One other big thing is we are in Florida, and the less fabric (wall fur, carpet) you have the less opportunity for moldy type situations. Also we couldn't imagine how to get golden retriever fur off of those walls!
I can't imagine having any carpet in an rv, I love the vinyl floor.
Good thing they have lots of models for everyone's tastes.

Barbara
25' Safari SE 2005
05 dodge ram 3500 super sized truck
and some golden retrievers....
Golden Retriever Rescue of Mid-Florida
www.grrmf.org
red2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:31 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I know what you mean about the 30' Slide....Jack Canavera has one, and when that baby is parked and slid out, it's like he's got a living room. There is only one minus IMHO about the 30' unit and that is that the bathroom is part of the hall.
Twink:

We've got a Safari 28 Slide... we love the roominess (like Jack has in the 30 Classic) but have an enclosed bath (across from shower). These are some of the reasons we chose it over the Classic.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:32 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Just FYI: simple vacuuming gets golden retriever hair off the walls... although we do ask the dogs not to climb the walls if they can help it. Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2dogs
We liked the 25 foot Safari Spec. edition because it didn't have furry walls and carpet - right now there isn't a classic that fits our tastes, to fancy/flowery.
One other big thing is we are in Florida, and the less fabric (wall fur, carpet) you have the less opportunity for moldy type situations. Also we couldn't imagine how to get golden retriever fur off of those walls!
I can't imagine having any carpet in an rv, I love the vinyl floor.

Barbara
25' Safari SE 2005
05 dodge ram 3500 super sized truck
and some golden retrievers....
Golden Retriever Rescue of Mid-Florida
www.grrmf.org
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:03 AM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by red2dogs
Actually, we have two young boys, ages 5 & 8 and are about to get a cocker spaniel puppy. Since we have two boys, we felt the Safari 30' bunk house is the perfect fit for our family. Mom & Dad get a "private" room and the boys each get their own bed that doesn't have to be made and unmade every day.

At first, we were turned off by the CCD because of the colors and cabinetry. We thought the interior was too cold and uninviting. The Classics were too old fashioned for our age group and didn't have a family friendly floor plan. But I didn't like the windows in the Safari. However, when we saw the Safari SE we decided to postpone ordering until the 30' is available in the SE line. I like the traditional Airstream windows, we feel the lack of carpeted walls and white vinyl ceilings will be less of a hastle to keep clean (especially after seeing one that had been on the dealer's lot for a while and it had really seen a lot of traffic inside), and we really like the lighting package in the SE.

According to an e-mail I got from Airstream about six weeks ago, the 30' should be available in the SE trim level around December. Since then, I am reading between the lines and guessing that with deliveries running the way they are, it will probably be January or February at least. So we went from a plan of ordering in June of '05 to planning to order around the first of the year in '06.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:32 AM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
[QUOTE=Silvertwinkie] There is only one minus IMHO about the 30' unit and that is that the bathroom is part of the hall. QUOTE]

Interestingly enough from our standpoint this is a plus. The hallway bath provides much more room to navigate in than a side bath. A real plus when you step out of that shower.

To each his own....

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:55 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
[QUOTE=jcanavera]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
There is only one minus IMHO about the 30' unit and that is that the bathroom is part of the hall. QUOTE]

Interestingly enough from our standpoint this is a plus. The hallway bath provides much more room to navigate in than a side bath. A real plus when you step out of that shower.

To each his own....

Jack
I agree, it is spacious. This coming from the guy with a 25' Oompaloompa rear bath.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
I have also heard that Airstream is modernifying it's interiors to appeal to younger people, and in some designer's brains, that means hard surfaces and a generally utilitarian look. I'm not all that crazy about the little I've seen of the CCDs. I don't care for the heavy oak, fru-fru look either, but there ought to be a happy medium of comfort and modernity.

I've got it! A '71 Safari! I feel like I'm sitting in my own personal jetliner when I'm sitting on the couch and looking down the aisle.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote