Old 11-20-2003, 06:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Trying to ID a Airstream....

As you can see I'm pending a A/S. This is what I know so far.

It has the 5 section end caps with rectangel windows on the ends. The name on it is.....

Landyacht Ambassador International.

I paced off about 22 feet in length. The rear bath is open to the elements too. The wheels (three at least,one has been replaced with a white spoked replacement) have hub caps that look like baby moons.

It has what is left of what I believe to be a WBBCI number on it. 4039.

What do I have here?? I think it may be going for around $400.00. I'm not afraid of work to get to what I want, A Airstream that I can use with the family. Me, the wife and three kids. 8, 6 and 10.5 mo. Maybe a cat in the future.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 07:03 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
What are the numbers on the tag by the door? That imparts a great amount of information. But I really like the price Worst case scenario you could probably get that much for it at the recycling place But momma says I'm not allowed to bring nuthin else home until I complete the projects I already have

Aaron

Old 11-20-2003, 07:07 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
The Ambassador of that year was a 28 foot model.

Based on your description that is what you are looking at.

here is a Picture of what it could be with some work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	%2768ambassador.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	3895  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 07:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Didn't see any numbers by the door. Of course it was dark out and I had a hard enough time remembering what I have. There was a plate above the name plate the was like a frame in the shape of a Airstream, but nothing was in it that I could see. I'm hoping to go back this weekend and see it in the daylight.

Under edit,

Yep that is what it looks like, well kind of. That one in the picture is in a lot better shape. Heck the one I'm looking at does not have the tanks.

Under edit again....
Is there a chance to get a floor plan for this modle to see if it can be made to sleep 5??
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
Happy wife, happy life.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:08 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Don't worry about the tanks. New ones would be needed, or the old re-certed anyhow. OPD compliance is the issue.

In the 60's there are 3 main design changes to look for (excluding the 69-81 style) .

In 64 The Ambassador went to the 5 panel ends, so it is post 64.

In 65 the door within a door went away and the door is one peice with a screen door.

In 66? I think, the curved corning windows were the style thru 68.

That should help narrow it down even if you cannot see the numbers on the door plate.

Sleeping 5.....................
Adults? children?

The Ambassador normally had a front couch that was a marginal double size and 2 beds mid coach ( under the side windows towards the rear). If you removed the roof lockers you could add bunks. The mid coach beds are one Twin size and one almost Twin size.

Check out this Link to see a 67 floorplan. This is pretty standard for the late 60's models.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 11-20-2003, 09:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Well,
There are the two of us (Wife and me) so a "double" size bed is no problem. The other three are 8 years, 6 years and 10.5 mo. currently.

I like the idea of bunks. My neighbor has shown me the parts break out of the folding bunks for his unit. I can fab them at work, out of aluminum for that authentic style and get sleeping for 6. Good point on the tanks. I'm sure that I can pick up a couple on the used market and get them cleaned up and re-certified. Won't need them for a while. The interor will have to come out and be gone through and cleaned repaired. Plus the sag and bath will have to be addressed. I'm guessing about two to three years to get through it.

Major thank you for the link. From what you said and what I see it looks like it is a 65. the only exception is there are two windows on the left side forward. That is the floor plan I'm looking for too boot.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
Happy wife, happy life.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:43 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
If there are 2 windows on the roadside? that may have been a custom or sepcial order. If they are the Jalouise type by the door (curbside) then they were a special order option.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 11-20-2003, 09:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
They are on the road side. Just above a 6" tall by 48" long batch in the skin. I'm going to guess a custom job. I will have a S/N Saturday. I guess that will be a big help.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
Happy wife, happy life.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:04 PM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
I fyou are going to have to gut it, and then fix the frame and rebuild it, might I suggest another option. Buy a good chassis that is already gutted, but does not require as much work.

Check out This Thread about half way down There is a WBCCI unit in Detroit selling a gutted Overlander. Overlanders were 26-27 feet long. Since it is empty you can let you imagination decide where/how to sleep 5. From the pics it looks good, but I would contact 71tradewind to see them all. As it is currently priced it is more than the ambassabor you are looking at, but may save you some time and money as the chassis will not need repair.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 11-23-2003, 02:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Wowsers!!!!

Man the thing is a wreck on the inside!!!

BTW S/N is I28-75 515 2057

Needless to say, I will not be getting it for a referb or the like. My neighbor is thinking of getting it to part it out to support his '79 Sovereign.

Looked at two more Satuday though, A Overlander O2709-S592 3907 sunk to the axles in mud. The interor is in good shape, but I think there looking for a lot of money out of it.

The other one was a Safari L23-D6J-1104 build date of 7-15-75 Waiting to hear back on that one.

The search continues. Looks like a rear 3/4 bath with center twins is the goal.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
Happy wife, happy life.