Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2004, 02:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Trying to help GT6921, on towing

GT, recently purchased a nice 69 Globe Trotter. I picked there unit up for them and am trying to help them decide on towing equipment.
GT recently purchase a KIA Sorrento and plans to haul the Golbe Trotter home with it.
Any suggestions on the best "light weight" levelers, hitch and swaybar. The reese "house moving equipment" I use with my Dodge might put them over on the load limit.
Suggestions or experience welcome.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Reese with 500lb bars Might even go with 750's and I would concider the Dual cam set up. Single axle trailers are MUCH more prone to sway then a double axle. Out 59 Caravanner that is 1ft longer a 400lb LIGHTER was a real handful with no sway control.

At the very least a good friction sway.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:53 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Question A Kia?

That SUV, from the factory with no mods has a 106.7" wheelbase and is rated to tow 3500lbs max....... The engine only has 192hp @5500rpm and 217ft/lbs at 3000rpm coming out of that little 3.5L V6.

I hope he's not thinking of towing regularly with that SUV......

According to the Airstream site the GlobeTrotter in 1969 was a 21' unit weighing 3300lbs DRY. If this info is correct, the truck will be out of it's league in a very short period of time even on the flat lands. Hills and mountains with passengers, cargo and trailer would be the closest thing to death sentence that I can see......

Even if you look at it a bit differently taking the max GVWR of the 4x4 which is about 4400lbs, minus passengers, cargo, fuel, hitch weight and you'll find that the Kia could be in real danger here.

My suggestion would be to worry less about sway and such and worry a bit more on the Kia's abilities to safely transport passengers, coach and cargo if this is to be the tow vehicle for the Globe Trotter.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote