Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Traveling with a small generator.

I own a small 2000kw Yamaha generator and would like to bring it with us on the trip.

We are driving down to Florida to pick up the airstream.

Our vehicle is a Toyota sequioa and would like to place the generator in the truck when we travel - but don't want to smell the gas on the way down.

I think I should empty the gas and run the carb dry. But not sure if I should do anything else with it.

Think double bagging the "dry" generator will be enough to keep the odor out of the cab?

My mind is on overload as we ready for our maiden voyage. I'm not even thinking clearly due to prepare overload.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Your generator should have both a fuel cutoff valve, and a screw vent on the tank. If so, you should be able to run it, turn off the cutoff valve till it quits, then close the screw vent on the tank cap, and that should eliminate all the gas venting/smelling in the vehicle.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Find a storage tub with lid that will fit and it will help cut down any residual fumes. Occasionally vent the tank when you stop as it will build pressure as it gets warmer.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Your generator should have both a fuel cutoff valve, and a screw vent on the tank. If so, you should be able to run it, turn off the cutoff valve till it quits, then close the screw vent on the tank cap.
And then put it in a plastic bag.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Awesome guys. Thank you
Old 09-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Find a storage tub with lid that will fit and it will help cut down any residual fumes. Occasionally vent the tank when you stop as it will build pressure as it gets warmer.

This is a great idea...
Old 09-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Have you tried riding around with your Yamaha Genny inside with you?

I carry my 2800 Yamaha, full of gas, in my PU bed sealed with a hard tonneau cover and I don't smell any gasolene when I open up the tailgate.

Maybe it's not as bad as you think.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:22 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
I think I should empty the gas and run the carb dry. But not sure if I should do anything else with it.
That's a good idea for storing any small carbeurated engine (generator, lawn mower, chainsaw, whatever), especially if using ethanol gasoline.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
I know they also sell cans of non-ethanol gas for small engines. A good idea as well...
Old 09-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
They also sell non-ethanol regular at pumps near West Virginia 3.30 gal.. I've also seen non-ethanol 91 at boat docks as well as 93 in Derby Line Vt 4.00gal. It's amazing this gas is more without ethanol. One would think it should be less.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
They also sell non-ethanol regular at pumps near West Virginia 3.30 gal.. I've also seen non-ethanol 91 at boat docks as well as 93 in Derby Line Vt 4.00gal. It's amazing this gas is more without ethanol. One would think it should be less.
Not really. Supply and demand— as it becomes rarer and harder to find, non-ethanol gas naturally becomes more expensive.

But to get the thread back on topic, I would recommend to the OP that he run his generator until it's empty, but instead of carrying the generator in a plastic storage tub with lid, carry a gasoline can in a plastic storage tub without lid. The lack of a lid allows the gas can to vent as necessary to account for temperature changes, but the tub provides secondary containment in the event of a spill.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I read somewhere recently that if we use premium gas in our small engines it doesn't have the issue of going stale and fouling the small machines. Don't know if this it a fact myself but maybe someone here can confirm this. It would make my life a bit easier if it was that simple.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I read somewhere recently that if we use premium gas in our small engines it doesn't have the issue of going stale and fouling the small machines. Don't know if this it a fact myself but maybe someone here can confirm this. It would make my life a bit easier if it was that simple.

I don't believe it matter the grade of gas. Stale gas definitely gums up the carbs so the best solution is to make sure there's no gas in the carb.

I am reading that you can buy sealed cans of non-ethanol gas. I believe these would be a better alternative to storing with gas. Of course some fuel stabilizer won't hurt - though it's not a long term solution as this stuff breaks down as well.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I understand the principal of running the gas tank and carb. dry; but I have also been told to fill the tank,add "Stabil" or such and run the engine to get the mixture through it and than top off the tank. This would keep rust and water for forming in the tank. Which is best/right? I follow the "keep full" method
mike
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I understand the principal of running the gas tank and carb. dry; but I have also been told to fill the tank,add "Stabil" or such and run the engine to get the mixture through it and than top off the tank. This would keep rust and water for forming in the tank. Which is best/right? I follow the "keep full" method
mike

Probably the right way to go about it unless you have a plastic tank.

Also some engine oil to coat the cylinders/pistons/rings.

I think the store full theory applies to boats where a full tank won't allow for condensation to build.

The Yamaha manual actually says to drain for long term storage.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
mike
My opinion is that for storage at home, storing it full with stabilizer added is entirely adequate, as long as the storage period is three months or less. But for transport in a moving vehicle, dry is the way to go, no matter how long or short a time it will be carried.

But that's just an opinion. There is no such thing as a definitive "only one right way" to do it.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryV View Post
Have you tried riding around with your Yamaha Genny inside with you?

I carry my 2800 Yamaha, full of gas, in my PU bed sealed with a hard tonneau cover and I don't smell any gasolene when I open up the tailgate.

Maybe it's not as bad as you think.
He doesn't have a pickup-he has a Sequoia-genny will be inside, not outside.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Unleaded gas goes bad. To last a long time in storage, it must have a stabilizer of some sort mixed in it.

Leaded gas didn't go bad for a long time. Fixed Base Operators (FBOs) at airports that sell car gas for light planes will quite often add 10% 100 LL (100 octane low lead, which has about 4 times the lead that automobile gas used to have before the unleaded thing.) to their tank of car gas to keep it fresh.

I have a 100 gallon tank in my barn that I keep filled with gas for lawn mowers, trimmers, motorcycles, and anything else that does not have a cat. converter.

I go out to the local airport and buy 10 gallons of 100 LL and add it to the 90 gallons of regular unleaded gas that the gas truck brings me. That mixture will last for many years. BTW leaded gas is very good for small engines.

Incidently, premium gas is not necessarily better than regular gas. Premium gas does not have the BTUs of regular gas, and in really cold weather or high altitude may not run well at all in an engine designed for regular gas.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I use this lidded container for my Honda EU2000i:

Amazon.com - Rubbermaid 1172 ActionPacker Storage Box, 24 Gallon - Lidded Home Storage Bins
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
securing the generator to keep it from moving or tipping would be nice.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote