Old 10-12-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Traveling up north

I am wanting to go up north some this november.How far can I really go before I hit snow.I know when it could start by watch the weather channel but I just want to know how far.
Could I go to virginia before it snows up there.(It has been a few years since I have went up there.I used to go for a month every year to Virginia beach and stay with a good friend of mine on the first of Oct to the first of Nov.)I wish I could go earlier now to show my baby girl the changing of the leaves and let her play in them but I have to work until the 1st of november.
I am just really needing some help on where are good places to travel and stay..I would really like to stay on the eastern side of the states right now but i can travel a state or 2 over.
Any help is greatly appreciated.I have been looking on line but hearing from you all I figure there might be a few places that are recommended.Thanks.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Devoman,

It's not likely that you'll hit any snow in Virginia Beach in November. I live in Delaware which is about 3 hours north of there and we typically don't get any significant snow until late December, sometimes as late as mid-January, sometimes not at all. As long as you stay along the coast, you should be alright. Regarding campgrounds along the coast, if you like hookups/amenities, I recommend Inland Harbor near Darien, GA, and Lakewood Campground in Myrtle Beach SC. Lakewood is huge (1200 sites), and part of it is beachfront. Both are clean and well run. Have a safe trip.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Devoman,

I lived in southside Virginia 13 years. October and November were alway great months to be outside camping. Chilly at night but, plenty of sunshine during the day, long color season.
I think we had snow before or during christmas once in 13 years.

If you go north toward Winchester or Wash DC, you are getting close enough to where a powerful storm can push over the mountains of PA or WV and the moderating temperatures of the Atlantic ocean can not keep it out. But, as a rule, Virginia is a nice climate and especially in the fall right up to christmas. That is my memories.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:18 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Take your chances and go for it! Last year I was in VaBeach and we had snow in December and January. November was a beautiful month for camping.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Take your chances and go for it! Last year I was in VaBeach and we had snow in December and January. November was a beautiful month for camping.

Aaron
Heck! Virginia isn't North!
We (New England) Typically do not see snow till mid December, but it is a crap shoot. We have a planned camping trip to the White Mountains sometime in the first 2 weeks of November. It is not the snow that does us in but the below freezing temps. Good luck
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
15-20 years ago, here in the upper midwest, we'd get some snow by Thanksgiving typically, but it is now very rare...and in most cases we don't see much snow if any until just before Christmas. One thing to watch out for though is the area to the south of Lake Michigan in the northern Indiana area. It gets pounded by lake effect snow, so I would plan around that area if you plans are to head this far north.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Ohio

You can come up to Ohio and not have to worry too much about snow until around Thanksgiving, however, it is cold enough that you will have to watch just how cold it gets at night and keep an eye on your plumbing for freezing. We are near Cleveland. While we don't usually have snow it can get very cold and we too are in line for Lake Effect weather!!

Larry and I are hoping to do a couple of more weekends before we winterize the plumbing. Maybe a couple of "dry" camping sessions. Sure hate to give it up for winter tho.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:31 AM   #8
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Traveling

Thanks for the great info you all.The reason I want to go up north is cause it is just so hot here in the summer and they are long hot summers.I mean it is almost november and it is still reaching the 90's.We can usually go swimming in our shorts until mid nov to dec.I just want to get some cooler air and not worry about having to go inside for the A/C.When it gets colder though we will start going back to St.Augustine where we always go.I think we are going to Charlottesville,VA and stay at a place called Misty Mountains Campgrounds.Has anyone ever been there and what is it like.I dont need the best of places to stay at.I kinda like the areas with a bit more trees and smaller campsites.Thanks

Old 10-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
There are several campgrounds in that area, especially off of the Blue Ridge Pkwy or Skyline drive. Here is one that is off of the Blue Ridge Pky
http://www.montebellova.com/camping.htm

You can also check the state site;http://www.virginia.org/ go to the accommodations pull down, then camping.

The Charlottesville area is a wonderful area with great mountains. Not sure of how you plan to go home, but you should check out Southwest Va (down towards TN on I81) If you check out my members photos you can see photos from 2 state parks in that area)

Let me know if when/if you will be going through Richmond VA.
Lots of forum members live in VA and I am sure that they can also help too..
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #10
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Pics

Vajeep...
Those are great pics.Hopefully soon I will be able to post some for myself sometime in the future.I had taken some earlier but I need to check them out.
Seems like that is a great place to see.We are going to check our situation and mabey head that way.Thanks.
Any more wonderful areas to go to please post them as I am trying to get as much info I can before we leave.