Old 05-16-2003, 09:28 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Trans cooler install

Just got a B&M trans cooler, but found that it takes an NPT thread. The car has an "AN" on it. Can anyone point me to a place that can get me from the smaller 3/8 "AN" an to the 1/2 NPT threads. I don't want to use rubber hoses.

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 10:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
www.jegs.com
www.summitracing.com

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 08:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Got any local outfits that make hydraulic hoses? A lot are AN, they should have fittings.

John
Old 05-17-2003, 09:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i like your idea but i have used rubber hose for ten years and havent had a problem. one of these days im going to be sorry. i change the hose every three years. im getting there on the silver weenie. i would hate to dump that trans. lol
al
Old 05-17-2003, 09:12 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not that I can see.

I looked at Jegs and Summit, but see the problem lies here:

The pipe is a small trans line pipe that even if cut, there is no NPT that can go from that size pipe to the 1/2 NPT fitting on the cooler.

The other problem is that Jegs, Earl's and Summit have AN to NTP adapters, however the current connector on the pipe is a male AN and on the cooler it's an NTP female. All the adapters are all male to male that I can find. If there was a female to AN 3/8" to male NTP 1/2" that could seal securely without leaks, that would be just what the doctor ordered, but so far nada.

So, then I took a look at other coolers that are "AN" connectors and they are as small as the stock unit (which on the B-Body is exactly right behind the bumper so that it gets no "real" airflow. I'd really like not to use rubber lines.

Either of you seen a female to male such as I describe or a 8-9" deep cooler that is 11" wide with "AN" connectors?

Thanks for your responses.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 05-17-2003, 09:27 AM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
fuel line

twink,

keep what you have, go look at 3/8 fuel line at the auto store.

you should be able to come up with a section of generic fuel line with a AN fitting on one end.

you can use a coupler for that. AN to AN.

on the other end, go to a real hardware store. look in plumbing for a 1/2 npt to 3/8 compression fitting.

bend it up, cut off with a tubing cutter, and use the compression fitting for the cooler end.

bam, done!

or, you can cut all the AN stuff off and just use a compression coupling to splice it and the same 1/2 npt to 3/8 compression fitting on the cooler.

same result,

bam, done!

john
Old 05-17-2003, 06:19 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
John,

That sound like a possibility. Off to the plumbing department I go soon!

You the man....forget what everyone says about you...you're alright in my book!

Eric