Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Trailer theft survey

Sadly, we get reports of stolen Airstreams here at the forums fairly often. Understandably, most of the posts are oriented towards recovery of the trailer.

I would like to make this thread a place to accumulate the facts of each theft, to serve as a resource for discerning patterns in these crimes. Understanding common threads is the first step towards prevention. Please post pertinent facts of the theft that are relevant to determining patterns and trends and avoid recovery-related information.

Here are some questions to guide your reports:

1. In what state did the theft occur?

2. Was the trailer hitched to a tow vehicle at the time of the theft?

3. Was the parking location: a commercial campground, national/state park, remote blm/national forest land, storage area, residence, commercial/industrial area, or .... ?

4. What measures if any had been taken to secure the trailer (coupler lock, fence, tires immobilized, etc.)

5. Approximately how long had the trailer been at this location prior to the theft?

6. What time of the day did the theft take place? What day of the week? If at night, was the area lighted?

7. Describe the visibility of the parking location. Were there witnesses? How did the thieves know the trailer was there?

8. What if anything is known about the method of removal? Was a tow truck, flatbed, or other special equipment used? Did the thieves bring any tools, jacks, or hitching equipment?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
I would like to make this thread a place to accumulate the facts
------------------

Add a few very usefull facts to your list:

You may want to add a place for serial numbers
and distinguishing marks or photo's.

Not knowing what a thing looks like or exactly how
to positively identify it leaves folks only sorts guessing.

Also, was it Reported to the State Dept of Motor Vehicles
as stolen - providing serial numbers - The State it was stolen in
and the State of it's registration.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Kenneth the purpose of this thread is not recovery. People have other threads for serial numbers, distinguishing marks, where last seen, etc.

The goal here is to provide examples so that others can adjust their approach to security as necessary.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
one can't help but wonder about this one in the Seattle Craig's list

1975 AIRSTREAM

seattle craigslist > tacoma > for sale / wanted > recreational vehicles
please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1975 AIRSTREAM (FORT LEWIS)

Date: 2010-11-22, 6:36PM PST
Reply to: sale-9apcx-2075258547@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

HI THE 22FT AIRSTREAM LISTED IS NICE BUT THE TITLE THE FAKE OWNER HAS IS NOT VALAID JUST A CAUTION TO POTENTIAL BUYERS
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2075258547
Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Stolen Trailer Forum

I have asked the powers that be, whoever they are to create a FORUM specifically to store this type of information. I can barely find the thread I started on my own stolen 72 Tradewind much less locate the information in other threads on other stolen trailers. So it would be good for all the data to be together in one forum. As mentioned above the other pertinent data on all unrecovered trailers, and if one is ever recovered should go in one place.
I'll follow your format listed above later when I have time to put it together.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
additional question

Smart idea. I've heard that adding the WBCCI numbers on your Airstream significantly reduces the risk of theft. So I'd like to suggest this additional question for the survey...

Were WBCCI numbers on the trailer?
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceEgg View Post
Smart idea. I've heard that adding the WBCCI numbers on your Airstream significantly reduces the risk of theft. So I'd like to suggest this additional question for the survey...

Were WBCCI numbers on the trailer?
Yes, they seem to be the bane of people polishing old trailers because they are a lot of work to remove, and very visible when being towed down the highway. Probably the first really good reason I've seen posted about why I should actually put mine on the trailer. And an much easier way for people to identify when seeing it towed or sitting.

A front and rear view would be good pictures to include as that is how most people are going to see them - going down the highway. So noting with the pictures any distinguishing items that are visible when the trailer is viewed from the front and back would help.

I did not know where to post the Seattle one and figured out of all of them , everyone will likely read this thread, but there does seem to be good justification for a dedicated sticky thread for this.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
There is another thread on GPS tracking devices with a lot of discussion on deterrents. The numbers are a great way to describe a missing trailer but I don't think the will prevent theft. When the officer that was writing up the theft report on my Tradewind asked me if there were any distinguishing features of my stolen trailer I almost laughed. It's an Airstream, a big 25' silver twinkie going down the road. Pretty hard to miss.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I like this thread - I will definately check it now and again to gain as much information as I can on protecting my girl. Right now I am not too worried about theft - They would be dragging parts behind her LOL. But soon she will be all buttoned up.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
How about this one. Don't park your trailer where it can be easily taken away without
someone or some thing (dog, camera, ect. ) noticing.
KL's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #11

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I'm in a secure storage area with a coded in/out gate, tons of cameras (one right on my Bambi), difficult to get to etc. It's very nice and secure looking. I have a cuppler lock, take the fuse out of the jack lower the stabilizers and bought good insurance. Ive not had any problems where I have it. They did have a break in on several class A and fifth wheels. They are parked in the back and the theifs stole the gigantic flat screens and audio equipment. Mine was left alone, because I'm in front or they thought it was old or the tv would be too small. I visit her once a week and have tons of photos and a list of markings just incase. Let's face it, if someone wants it bad enough they will take it. I hope it never happens but I know it can.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
I'm in a secure storage area with a coded in/out gate, tons of cameras (one right on my Bambi), difficult to get to etc. It's very nice and secure looking. I have a cuppler lock, take the fuse out of the jack lower the stabilizers and bought good insurance. Ive not had any problems where I have it. They did have a break in on several class A and fifth wheels. They are parked in the back and the theifs stole the gigantic flat screens and audio equipment. Mine was left alone, because I'm in front or they thought it was old or the tv would be too small. I visit her once a week and have tons of photos and a list of markings just incase. Let's face it, if someone wants it bad enough they will take it. I hope it never happens but I know it can.
Yey, right.... my trailer was at a similar facility. It was broken into and totally trashed. The "secure storage" owner then said the problem was mine. They were not responsible for anything. Read the fine print!
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #13

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post
Yey, right.... my trailer was at a similar facility. It was broken into and totally trashed. The "secure storage" owner then said the problem was mine. They were not responsible for anything. Read the fine print!
I know they don't have any responsibility that's why I got insurance for her. I know I was lucky but since I can't keep her at home, it was the most "secure" place I could find near me. Sorry to hear about yours being trashed. I was sick when they sent me an email about the break in. I guess it's been happening in KC alot this year. Huge and expensive electronics are easy pickings. Like I said, been lucky so far but if they want it they will figure out a way to get it.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Does anybody wonder if they read these forums and figure out what we're doing?
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
i wonder what they do with a stolen trailer?is it used in some remote area as a home or hunting lodge?my trailer is at home with the hensley locked with a locking pin.i guess if i wasnt around someone could tow the trailer by the chains until they could cut the lock off?i think i better check my insurance coverage.in these times desperate people are out there.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Chris is having serious thoughts about "miswiring" the umbilical cord from the trailer to the TV so that weird things would happen when plugged in to the "wrong" TV such as brakes come on when you put on the turn signal, etc. He says we'd need 2 adapters if you ever towed another trailer, or towed that trailer with a different TV. It's an idea he's toying with right now. It could be overcome eventually, like anything else, but might give someone enough pause initially for it to be noticed.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Chris is having serious thoughts about "miswiring" the umbilical cord from the trailer to the TV so that weird things would happen when plugged in to the "wrong" TV such as brakes come on when you put on the turn signal, etc. He says we'd need 2 adapters if you ever towed another trailer, or towed that trailer with a different TV. It's an idea he's toying with right now. It could be overcome eventually, like anything else, but might give someone enough pause initially for it to be noticed.

Kay
i would think that they would quickly learn to just not signal. maybe wiring the running light feed to the brakes would work better. no running lights at night would be noticeable.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1966 17' Caravel
in , zazen
Recovered Airstream!

Just wanted to post my 74 overlander was recovered last night. It was the WB # that someone recognized and alerted me due to a flyer. They had removed all other identifying marks and looks like they tried to buff out the number but couldnt! Thieves are lazy! So I am going today to get better measures to safe guard my girl. It is a happy day for me and I am keeping my eyes peeled for other lost trailers. Mine was less than 10 miles from my house. I cant find the forumn link for stolen As so please direct me so I can tell my very happy story.
casitaplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Congratulations on getting her back.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Nothing you can do will stop a determined thief. Get stated value insurance and quit worrying about it.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote