Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
TRAILER STOLEN outside of el paso

We had our 31ft 1974 Sovereign LY STOLEN within the last two weeks from our land outside of Hueco Tanks State Park, east of El Paso, TX.

We are heartbroken, we restored everything in it. We took the wheels off and locked the hitch before we left it, but apparently someone found 2 wheels and dragged it off.

If anybody in the area sees it, please let me know and/or call the police.

Here are some pics, there is some damage by the front, on the passenger side:

blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Hearing this again really rattles me. I'll be sure to add it to the list of others we are always watching for here in NV, although my guess would be it went south.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow! Another stolen Airstream in Texas. And you took all the precautions to prevent theft. Sorry to hear about your loss and I hope you find the scum who stole it.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Did ya report it stolen to the DMV.
Make, Model, and Serial number....

If yes - good!
If no - you should!
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Thieving scum.

Dave Park recommended a GPS tracker, and I'm definitely installing one when I finally give in to temptation and get one. This one is self-contained and as Dave pointed out in another thread, you could easily put a solar charger on it to keep the unit's internal battery charged, even if the stinking thieves disconnect the trailer batteries. His recommendation was to hide it in the AC shroud, where it's well-hidden, inconvenient for them to access and has a good "view" of the sky to get its position. You can define an area where the trailer is expected to be, and get an alert on your phone and/or email in minutes if the trailer leaves that area, etc.

http://www.northlanddealers.com/medi...2012-07-09.pdf
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
oh no! im so sorry. that really stinks. i was considering leaving mine on our land in NC; dad thought it was a bad idea - i definitely will not be doing that now :/
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
el paso county sheriff's dept finally called me back. report has been filed, but I don't have much faith we'll ever see it again. :-(
blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Lots of AS trailers up here, but I have not seen yours, will keep a eye out. Glad we can see the number.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
El Paso , Texas
I hate to tell you this but your trailer was stolen by scrap metal theives. I own a lot in front of the park that had a chain link fence with two large box trucks and antique cars inside a locked fence.

These lowlifes pulled down the fence and stole a 1977 Ford F350 14' box truck (ex U-Haul), my 18' dual axle trailer and a vintage 1967 Fiat 850 coupe that was on the trailer. They came back the day after I reported this to police and stole all loose metal objects lying around and did not quit robbing me until I stood on the property all night long in front of a bonfire holding an AK-47.

I had to move everything off my property and the El Paso Co. Sherriff knows these robbers operate in this area and do nothing.

Warning to all: DO NOT BUY LAND AT HUECO TANKS OR PUT ANY METAL OBJECTS ON IT OR THEY WILL BE STOLEN. THIEF IS LOCAL TO THE AREA BECAUSE THEY TORE DOWN THE REWARD SIGNS I POSTED IN NEARBY BUISNESSES.

PS: I found your post by googling "Stolen from Hueco Tanks"
fiat128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Sorry to hear about your loss. I will keep an eye out for it.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat128 View Post
I hate to tell you this but your trailer was stolen by scrap metal theives. I own a lot in front of the park that had a chain link fence with two large box trucks and antique cars inside a locked fence.

These lowlifes pulled down the fence and stole a 1977 Ford F350 14' box truck (ex U-Haul), my 18' dual axle trailer and a vintage 1967 Fiat 850 coupe that was on the trailer. They came back the day after I reported this to police and stole all loose metal objects lying around and did not quit robbing me until I stood on the property all night long in front of a bonfire holding an AK-47.

I had to move everything off my property and the El Paso Co. Sherriff knows these robbers operate in this area and do nothing.

Warning to all: DO NOT BUY LAND AT HUECO TANKS OR PUT ANY METAL OBJECTS ON IT OR THEY WILL BE STOLEN. THIEF IS LOCAL TO THE AREA BECAUSE THEY TORE DOWN THE REWARD SIGNS I POSTED IN NEARBY BUISNESSES.

PS: I found your post by googling "Stolen from Hueco Tanks"
Wow!!! It's surprising that things like this go on right under the Sherriff's nose and they do nothing. Hmmmm, makes you wonder what's going on.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Something like this might be nice - only pay when you need it.

Smart Tracker - Advanced GPS Vehicle Recovery System by RMTracking

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

This must be happening west of the Pecos, huh?
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat128 View Post
...They came back the day after I reported this to police and stole all loose metal objects lying around and did not quit robbing me until I stood on the property all night long in front of a bonfire holding an AK-47...
Well there's your problem. Instead of the bonfire you needed a night scope. That would have allowed you the opportunity to solve the problem long-term, at least where this particular group of scumbags is concerned.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Wow!!! It's surprising that things like this go on right under the Sherriff's nose and they do nothing. Hmmmm, makes you wonder what's going on.

Yea, it reminds of something I read once that said "Remember, when every second counts the police are only minutes away"

The police were pretty much useless on this although the deputy who responded to the theft of all the loose metal liked my rifle.

Theives suck and cops should spend more time chasing them than traffic violators the way they do now. It wouldn't take much police work to catch these guys but that must be too much for them.

To the OP, I hope you do get your trailer back and I I hope I see my truck and trailer again but the people who did this seemed to be very orgainzed in the way they did it.
fiat128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Wow, that really sucks for the both of you. Any chance your stream went south of the border? An AS would be a like a luxury home down there.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Newport Beach , California
This just makes my blood boil!!!

I know it is not the same thing after all the work you put into making your trailer your own, but I do hope you are insured.

Best of luck,

Cathy
Cathy&Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
I agree with DKB. Panasonic web cams with night vision & motion sensors cost about $225 each. Simple set up. Nightvision scope & some hollow point shells.

Make sure they are clearly on your land and committing a crime (trespassing is a crime, especially if they took your fence down) if/when you shoot. Remember to tell the police you were in fear of your life when they come to pick up the bodies. They will probably do less than they did to recover the stolen metal objects.

Gun laws and the right to use them in defense of your life/property are pretty clear in Texas. I was surprised how clear the self defense rule are here, and how rarely they are challenged. You got to be dumb and brave to pull these kind of stunts in our great state.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
On the E. side of Austin the scum are now stealing the AC compressors from houses for sale/vacant--in broad daylight. everyone works during the day and any cop driving by would just assume "workers."
HCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
So sorry to hear of you loss... Mine was stolen Labor Day , or the night before. So I get what you're feeling. Dave Park's stolen Trailer was turned to scrap in Midland. Mine could be anywhere. And after all the work you put into Vintage unit it goes beyond just the monetary loss. Family memories are made in Airstreams. What I did was create a flyer with pictures, vin # and a description of what would be noticable from a distance for someone looking for your trailer. Send it to the police, Texas Rangers, DMV in Austin and then to any of the parts suppliers Inland, Vintage Trailer, Airstream. Somebody might be looking for a lock mechanism for a 70s trailer, you never know, they could call one of the few suppliers out there and a light will go off. Watch the Craigslist feeds and ebay. Prayers will go out for you!

To the rest of you reading this, don't think your trailer is safe from thieves. Airstreams are desirable, and that makes them a target. I found out how easy it was for someone to cut a chain and two locks and once it's a mile down the road with another license plate on it nobody will ever know it's stolen.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote