Old 10-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
El Paso , Texas
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Wow!!! It's surprising that things like this go on right under the Sherriff's nose and they do nothing. Hmmmm, makes you wonder what's going on.

Yea, it reminds of something I read once that said "Remember, when every second counts the police are only minutes away"

The police were pretty much useless on this although the deputy who responded to the theft of all the loose metal liked my rifle.

Theives suck and cops should spend more time chasing them than traffic violators the way they do now. It wouldn't take much police work to catch these guys but that must be too much for them.

To the OP, I hope you do get your trailer back and I I hope I see my truck and trailer again but the people who did this seemed to be very orgainzed in the way they did it.

fiat128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
Blue Highways Explorer
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Wow, that really sucks for the both of you. Any chance your stream went south of the border? An AS would be a like a luxury home down there.

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Classic
Newport Beach , California
This just makes my blood boil!!!

I know it is not the same thing after all the work you put into making your trailer your own, but I do hope you are insured.

Best of luck,

Cathy&Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
I agree with DKB. Panasonic web cams with night vision & motion sensors cost about $225 each. Simple set up. Nightvision scope & some hollow point shells.

Make sure they are clearly on your land and committing a crime (trespassing is a crime, especially if they took your fence down) if/when you shoot. Remember to tell the police you were in fear of your life when they come to pick up the bodies. They will probably do less than they did to recover the stolen metal objects.

Gun laws and the right to use them in defense of your life/property are pretty clear in Texas. I was surprised how clear the self defense rule are here, and how rarely they are challenged. You got to be dumb and brave to pull these kind of stunts in our great state.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
On the E. side of Austin the scum are now stealing the AC compressors from houses for sale/vacant--in broad daylight. everyone works during the day and any cop driving by would just assume "workers."
HCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
So sorry to hear of you loss... Mine was stolen Labor Day , or the night before. So I get what you're feeling. Dave Park's stolen Trailer was turned to scrap in Midland. Mine could be anywhere. And after all the work you put into Vintage unit it goes beyond just the monetary loss. Family memories are made in Airstreams. What I did was create a flyer with pictures, vin # and a description of what would be noticable from a distance for someone looking for your trailer. Send it to the police, Texas Rangers, DMV in Austin and then to any of the parts suppliers Inland, Vintage Trailer, Airstream. Somebody might be looking for a lock mechanism for a 70s trailer, you never know, they could call one of the few suppliers out there and a light will go off. Watch the Craigslist feeds and ebay. Prayers will go out for you!

To the rest of you reading this, don't think your trailer is safe from thieves. Airstreams are desirable, and that makes them a target. I found out how easy it was for someone to cut a chain and two locks and once it's a mile down the road with another license plate on it nobody will ever know it's stolen.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Also there are video cameras along I-10, not that anybody could help but notice a large silver twinkie going down the road. Will keep an eye out for it in this part of Texas.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #22
Maybe the police should be concentrating their efforts on the unscrupulous scrap dealers that buy this material from persons that they know have stolen it.
In the case of the trailer that was scrapped the day after it was purchased the scrap dealer should have questioned why someone would scrap a perfectly good trailer the day after buying it. Here you must present a title to a vehicle before it is scrapped. the title is then returned to the province and scrap metal dealers are periodically inspected to make sure they are complying.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I hope your police are more on top of it then our police in Georgia. Over a week ago most of the cars in our neighborhood were broken into. All kinds of things were stolen. Yes my son, wife and I locked our doors. They took my son's wallet and his credit cards. They took my school computer with all my grades and lesson plans, and my watch and wedding band. They stole every thing in one county and used the credit cards in another. Neither county has done anything and the credit card swipe is on video. My wife has called both counties everyday. The county where the credit cards were swiped , has not even been assigned the case to anybody. They don't care. They just don't care.

Brian & Adrienne
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I hope everybody is registering this. I would sure go the GPS tracking device hidden in there somewhere. I have heard that all mobile phones have tracking devices in them. Sometimes I think the 'officials' want us to be off balance, and want us to be afraid...especially around the election times. So they pull off these escapades. Thats paranoid thinking huh? .....or is it.
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member
1974 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
fiat128, thanks for the insight, I do think they may have stolen it for scrap. We found evidence they had broken into the trailer, and thats the only thing that makes me think it might be still whole. The inside was immaculate and pretty pimped out, they may have originally wanted it for scrap and then saw the inside...

Either way, we are making reward posters, they'll be up at the vista, park, gas stations, and we'll be sending them to the local law agencies as well.

Thanks for the consolations everyone, it was NOT insured :-(

If i ever get another one (too painful right now) we'll be installing a hidden GPS hooked up to a hidden solar panal.

fiat128, maybe we should leave some scrap hooked up to 220v layin around our properties :-) Sorry to hear about the theft from your place, its a pity, the valley really can be so peaceful and quiet. Shame on those bastards for ruining it.
blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
My Tradewind wasn't insured either and that make it all the more painful. Like you i had redone the interior and it's a VERY personal thing when it's stolen cause no other trailer is like it. Put all of us Airstreamers on alert with photos and a description of what makes your trailer different. No body can spot an Airstream trailer a mile away like another Airstreamer.

I just went the other direction and bought a 2006 Safari SE. Couldn't deal with another Vintage unit that needed the customization I had put into my Tradewind. The new trailer helps with the pain and I don't have to do nothin to fix it up.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Here is another asset tracking company - seems very resonable. I contacted them and got the cost of their asset protection unit, $269.00 for the unit and $40.00 a year to keep device active.

Asset Protection Unit for GPS Tracking

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member
2005 19' International CCD
Big Spring , Texas
Theft of AS near El Paso

This was sad to hear, but not in the least surprising. Juarez has been increasingly spilling over the "protected" border into El Paso for years, so having Mexican nationals roaming around is nothing unusual. Many are average folks who come to EP to shop or see family, but there are others who come to forage for easy pickings (of trusting Americans).
You will never know if your outfit was heisted by Mexicans or low life El Paso trash of some other variety, but in either case, you can hope for a plague on their family. LOL

jgsimons is offline   Reply With Quote