Old 02-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #43
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Great science fiction but doesn't solve any problems that actually exist in real life.

There is a common pattern to trailer thefts.
- The trailer is parked in a commercial/industrial area, or an extremely rural area, where people are not present at night.
- The theft is planned in advance and is not a crime of opportunity.
- Thefts take place late at night/early in the morning on weekdays when police presence and traffic are minimal.
- Thieves come equipped with jacks, heavy cutting tools, and towing equipment.
- The trailer is jacked and secured to the tow vehicle with chains, or a tow truck with a hoist is used to move it.
- The trailer is moved to a nearby indoor location (within several miles). Car wash, body shop, etc
- At this location the perpetrators can remove any locking devices and "anonymize" the trailer (remove or cover decals, change identification numbers, etc) at their leisure.
- In the next few hours the trailer is usually taken over the border or moved to a permanent parking site (someone's lake place or hunting lodge, e.g.). In either case registration is a non-issue and the chances of anyone identifying the trailer as stolen are basically zero.

By the time your phone beeps and you wake up, realize what's going on, and call the cops, the perps already have it inside somewhere. Even if you know the location, the cops won't (can't) go in without a warrant. By the time they get one, the trailer is gone. Police interest in recovering stolen property is basically zero and they're not going to follow up unless there has been a pattern of similar thefts over time.

I use a security chain and heavy padlock between the wheels. Cutting that or changing out the tires or putting that side on a dolly will add several minutes and a bunch of noise and activity. It may help if there are people around to see. It improves my chances but it isn't going to "prevent."

I store my trailer in a shed back behind a house where a retired ex-army guy lives. He likes dogs and guns. I figure the chances of anyone stealing my trailer from storage are basically zero.

To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Trailer Security (Preventing unauthorized towing)

That's like the last commercial storage we used. The resident manager lived on the second floor, had, as he put it, a clear field of fire inside the facility, and was there all the time at night. Yeah, he had a great gun collection as well. The gate system and cameras were tempted to his bedroom as well.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Great science fiction but doesn't solve any problems that actually exist in real life.
That's a lot of assuming...
There is not any science fiction about it....
Did I say I was going to park it far away from civilization next to a border? Your statement sounds like something in the movie gone in 60 seconds. In YOUR case you can put as many dogs as you want outside next to an old retried vet armed to the teeth. If your away from civilization the dogs will be barking till they are thirsty while they torch through your thick chain and your neighbor will forget to change his hearing aid batteries and those guns will just collect dust while your camper is being claimed by somebody else. ..... I guess this could happen also...

if you don't agree with an idea, then have ligitimate reason to instead of making up particularly exceptional circumstances to debunk entire the idea. Nothing is perfect but my idea could be a high tech deterrent for MOST situations of theft. Just not in the middle of the dessert next to Mexico....

Please have a more proactive and open outlook to other's ideas next time.
Artisan Airstreams
Custom restorations and renovations
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:43 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by ArtisanAir View Post
What the logical answer on why? If your surface is stable and you don't add excessive weight, I don't see issue with keeping the tires off of the ground. Just curious. ....

I called the factory and asked about it and the person I talked to said the frame is not designed to be supported by jack stands without wheels on the ground for long periods of time. In addition, knowing thieves and the criminal mind it would not surprise me if they find the trailer without wheels and on stands just for spite they knock it off the stands.

As I stater prior I take the steps outlined and we keep nothing of value in the trailer when stored, so of someone wants it we will buy another.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote