Old 01-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Crescent , Oklahoma
Buy a cable lock, if you have tandem axles, cable lock the two wheels together. If you have a single axle, run cable lock through rim and around axle. it is much harder to cut a cable lock than a paddle lock

TAC OK-5
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
If you are depending on a coupler lock, also secure the break away chains into short loops with the best lock you can find. Otherwise they can be pulled forward and use to tow the rig way.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
If you really think your rig is a target for theft, and expect an experienced thief... well, they will get it.

One more bit of insurance was suggested elsewhere on this forum. If you have the rig plugged in, buy a cheap cell phone and load a "find my phone" app on it. Hide it somewhere inside where you can plug it in to 12v to keep it charged.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Das BOOT!

Do exactly what the city does when they don't want your vehicle (or trailer) to move.......
Attached Images

Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
All you can do is slow them down. But if you make it hard enough they may choose another to pick on.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Channing is right. Suppose someone took several of the suggestions here all together. Raise your trailer way up in the air and remove all of the wheels. Put a lock on the hitch. Put some chains around the axles and hook those chains to something set in a large concrete block buried a few feet down. A determined thief can still steal the trailer, but it will take a few hours of work. Of course, it will take you a few hours of work to get it in that position in the first place, and then when you want to use your trailer, it will take you a couple of hours to get it back on the road.

Some thieves are after a coach for resale. Others are after one to strip. Still others are after the stuff inside. No one security plan will stop all three. The best security system is a nosy neighbor.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Your only FULL-PROOF WAY... Live in it full time and never leave the trailer. Unreasonable to most.

I agree, the further you go out of your way to prevent it the more prep work you must do when utilizing it. If you don't use it regularly then all of those things can be done and you can sleep at night. If you do use it often those preventive tasks just becomes a hassle. That is why most owners who care about this situation store them in a secured facility.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I have lots of insurance, if stolen I will get a new one, paying the difference...
Old 01-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If you store your trailer on property where you have the ability to mount your own cameras, then probably the best bet is to buy some trail cameras with motion sensors at Cabela's, and security enclosures to fit around the cameras to minimize vandalism of the cameras, and mount them where there's a good view of points of access to your trailer. Aim a camera at the trailer tongue as well and you can get pictures of anyone trying to hitch up the trailer.

Anyone triggering the camera's IR motion sensor will cause the camera to wirelessly send you a 90-second video directly to your smartphone, so even if you're not present you can catch them in the act.

That won't keep people from breaking into or stealing the trailer, but it will allow you to positively identify who did it, which can help you get your stuff back.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you store your trailer on property where you have the ability to mount your own cameras, then probably the best bet is to buy some trail cameras with motion sensors at Cabela's, and security enclosures to fit around the cameras to minimize vandalism of the cameras, and mount them where there's a good view of points of access to your trailer. Aim a camera at the trailer tongue as well and you can get pictures of anyone trying to hitch up the trailer.

Anyone triggering the camera's IR motion sensor will cause the camera to wirelessly send you a 90-second video directly to your smartphone, so even if you're not present you can catch them in the act.

That won't keep people from breaking into or stealing the trailer, but it will allow you to positively identify who did it, which can help you get your stuff back.
Good Idea... Cheap and effective
Old 01-13-2016, 10:25 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
1995 21' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Lock tests

Although this is clearly a video to promote one particular lock, I found it helpful and actually bought the Husky 39594 as a result:
Old 01-14-2016, 05:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Not sure why this would be a problem. Like Andy said: Jack it up, take the wheels off, put them in you house. When you're ready to travel, it will take less than twenty minutes to roll them out and put them on.

If someone is willing to bring wheels/tires, jacks, lug wrenches, lug nuts, etc... to steal your trailer, they need it more than you do!

Problem Solved

Enjoy,
Old 01-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Andy should know, but I would not want to jack up and AS for a long period of time resting on supports.

I put a hitch lock box over the hitch on the trailer, I lock with a Kyptonite cable both sets of wheels together and lock them with Kyptonite barrel keyed locks. Then I remove the fuse from the electric jack. Several units have been stolen over the years from the public storage facility where ours is stored and ours has been touched, they removed the cover I have over the hitch assembly and apparently try the electric hitch and nothing happens they move on.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Andy should know, but I would not want to jack up and AS for a long period of time resting
What the logical answer on why? If your surface is stable and you don't add excessive weight, I don't see issue with keeping the tires off of the ground. Just curious. ....