Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2002, 05:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Trailer Life "letter to the editor" too old

Just was reading TRAILER LIFE mag and in the letters to the editor one is about coaches/rigs too old for some RV parks...

What do you all do about that? I know that my Jambo was 9 years old and we traded in October for this Airstream so wasn't able to test Chula Vista RV Resort in Chula Vista, CA....

Too bad....anyway...do you think Airstreams are exempt?

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 05:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Kistler!

Private parks that wish to restrict the age of coaches typically will apply the restriction to all coaches. If I am making a special trip to a destination park that restricts age, I always ask in advance if my coach will be acceptable - - so far have only been turned away once in four situations (when towing my '64 Overlander with '99 GMC Suburban) - - the reason for the turn-away was lack of a permanently mounted gray water tank. When I am traveling and selecting parks without prior arrangments, I simply pull into the waiting area and proceed to the registration desk - - if I am asked about the age of my coach, I tell them that it is a fully-restored 1964 Airstream - - usually, I haven't been questioned - - the one time that I was questioned, the park operator knew Airstreams and that mine was more than 30 years old due to the front window style, but he welcomed me despite the posted rule.

So far, I haven't encountered very many problems related to parks with coach age restrictions but I don't travel frequently to either coast where these restrictions seem to be somewhat more prevelant. My nagging concern is how parks might react to my 1975 Cadillac/1978 Argosy Minuet combination next summer on my route to the International Rally in Vermont - - both vehicles are well-maintained originals with very minimal restoration (especially on the exteriors).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Aaaah remember 1975 Cadillacs....BUT Sir (other than the rust spots) is that they categorically disallow older vehicles....isn't that a class action suit waiting to happen?

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:27 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I can second Kevin's experience. When I towed a 77 Airstream it was "too old" for some of the parks we were in. We would pull in to the waiting area and ask if we could check in. If the age of our unit was an issue they could say something and give it the once over. It seems most of the parks that have limitations are due to their own lack of services (as mentioned) or the desire to keep a level of outward appearance. The age limit is a line in the sand way to do it. Not to offend members that have more than one RV but have you see how some of the SOB units from the 60s, and 70's look?

An Airstream will normally pass the eye pleasing test no matter the year, but then the is that pesky self containment issue.

As to the class action issue. Most parks are independenly owned and as a private business reserve the right to not accept you, or kick you out for almost any reason. State and city parks usally cannot restrict, but private parks are another matter. Just look at what is going on with Augusta National and the pressure to allow women in. Not saying that it is right, or wrong. It just is.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

I'm curious.....

These parks that folks have been turned away from, I'm assuming that they do not have full hook-ups, or do they?? Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
I've never encountered this issue in California... Is this an East coast thing?
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 09:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Quote:
I've never encountered this issue in California... Is this an East coast thing?
I have encountered these policies in campgrounds located in Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and Kentucky.

Quote:
These parks that folks have been turned away from, I'm assuming that they do not have full hook-ups, or do they??
There doesn't seem to be any consistent reason for the policy. Several of the restricted parks where I have stayed did not have sewer connections at their sites which may have been part of the motivation for the policy. The one park (in Illinois) that I was turned away from did not have sewer connections at their sites and was struggling to answer zoning challenges to its continued existence. One of the restricted parks where I stayed with my '64 Overlander (with the managers consent) had full hookups at every site including cable TV and telephone - - I got the distinct impression that the policy was one of trying to maintain a certain aesthetic in that park.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote