Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
try a different approach

No matter what you are doing or how you are doing it, someone always thinks there is a better way, and I am no exception.

Consider this approach:

Click image for larger version

Name:	garage2.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	24735
Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
the Ponz... nice diagram! That is along the same lines of my thinking... you may not even need to run it over the curb... I think you now have a few solid options Brad. Good Luck and we look forward to pictures of her in the garage!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Vernon , Texas
Awesome Responses

You folks are great -- I appreciate the ideas and the diagram.

I have considered modifying the drive to allow sloped entry from the left-- it would also make the approach a little easier.

A little history -- I built the storage building before considering an Airstream. Once we started really looking, we were taken by the styling of the Airstream -- but also dismayed at how low they sit compared to SOB's that we also considered.

The plan will be to try dead slow with the rear end up as far as it can go (thanks for the torsion bar advice), then add the timber to see if it can get in that way if needed. Long term, if it turns out a lot of fussing is neccessary to get it in and out, I will look at concrete mods -- either the left entry idea or redoing the whole drive.

The drive costs $3.75 per sf, plus labor to remove it. To completely replace it would cost $2,000 to $2,250. Money I do not want to spend, but cheaper than buggering up the trailer. I can just see myself not going slow enough one time or not putting a board in the exact right place and screwing it up.

On a more positive note, the Airstream in question came through town yesterday on its way to the dealer that is cleaning it up and inspecting it. We did not get a chance to try the drive however.

My wife and I are on the way to the tax office this morning to file the titles. We go to the dealership next week for training. We are excited and a little apprehensive -- our first time doing anything like this.
I will definitely post a pic of the trailer/tow vehicle in the garage.

Good weekend to all -b
bradjbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:36 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
the Ponz... nice diagram!
I can back up pretty well when coming from the direction shown. I have to do that to get my Safari diagonally between two brick pillars 20' apart to get into my driveway -- you wouldn't believe... My experience has shown that you could back with much greater accuracy if you backed in from the direction opposite to that shown in the Ponz' diagram. You would be able to directly visualize the roadside of your Airstream as you worked the angles.

I haven't heard what your garage door dimensions are, so I printed out the photo and worked the ratios (assuming a 6'8" entry door). I came up with 9.5" tall -- probably actually a 10' x 10'. Right? Anyway ... be sure to put the tail in the first time, then walk across the street to make sure you have plenty of room to clear the air conditioner. A full 10' would clear in any event.

Enjoy the world of Airstreaming! May the traffic on your road always be patient.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Vernon , Texas
Door Dimensions

Sorry -- forgot to post the door dimesions -- it is a 12' x 10' door. I definitely plan on backing in and checking. According to the literature I have seen, I should have approximately 6" of clearance.

Canoe Stream -- you were close. Very impressive considering the angle that the shot was taken from. -b
Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Brad,
Just curious. Did you get your new A/S backed in to the drive?

Gene
Old 10-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Vernon , Texas
Got it done

Sorry I have not replied in a while -- things have been beyond hectic. I am travelling a lot for work -- not much fun, but it pays the bills.

I did get the Airstream in the garage. I had the casters put on the back instead of skid plates, plus I expanded the drive on one side to make it easier to do a left hand back. I had the grade smoothed on this triangular extension and it works well. I dragged one of the torsion bars on the Hensley hitch just slightly. I had less than 1" clearance in the back between the lowest point on the trailer and the drive, but I did clear.

I promise that I will post some pics of the Airstream and its attendant Excursion tow vehicle parked in the garage and a pic of the drive extension as soon as I can get to it.

Thanks again to all for the ideas.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
my 34' has the rear wheels as a standard they help in a long slow slope but will do nothing if it is a severe drop like at a gas station on an Indian reservation.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote