Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Trailer-Aid

Who uses the Trailer-Aid?I am wondering what your opinions are?I plan on purchasing one by the end of the week.It seems to be a very good product.Thanks All.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Hay devo Maay I ask what is a trailer aid?/

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Trailer-Aid

It helps you out to take your tire off in case of a flat without having to take a heavy jack.Also you can fix you brakes as well.
http://www.traileraid.com/traileraid...CategoryId=267

Old 08-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
It helps you out to take your tire off in case of a flat without having to take a heavy jack.Also you can fix you brakes as well.
http://www.traileraid.com/traileraid...CategoryId=267

I have one and LOVE it. It came in real handy when replacing the shock absorbers. The scary part is how the tire hangs off the sides. It is heavy and has bolts in the base to dig into the surface you are on. Here is one photo. I have some more but they are at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03222006.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	25097  
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
that is really a neat lookin item if it works that would be an excellent tool to have...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:14 PM   #6
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hey, guys,

I bought a pair of plastic ramps at Advantage Auto for $44 that are made by Rhino and can support 12,000 lbs between them. They don't have the pronounced dip in the middle of them like the Trailer Aids, but if you adjust your mirrors right, you can watch the wheel as you pull or push the trailer onto it.

I recently had to use one on the side of the road to change a tire. It worked great, and I can use them when I service my truck, too.

They DO take up a bit of space, though. There's a picture in my gallery of my trailer up on one. (Right now, it's the very first photo.)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
As 'threatened', here are the other two pictures I took of the Trailer-Aid (took them with my old cell phone - Nokia 6682).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ta1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	25137   Click image for larger version

Name:	ta2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	25138  

On the road!
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
Old 08-25-2006, 05:45 AM   #8
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Trailer Aid

Got some plans to hopefully go and get a trailer aid from camping world if they carry them.It is the only place I know of to get the goods when you really need it.It will take about an hour and a half to get there though.Looking into getting other things also to make this one trip worth it.Plus it is on the way to Jaxsonville where I hope to catch a few waves so it works out perfect.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:06 AM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Just use your levelling blocks.

My lego-type levelling blocks work just as well and serve a dual purpose. Several years ago, when I had an internal brake failure (shoes came off), I had no problem raising the tailer on a ramp of levelling blocks and removing the wheel.

Nothing wrong with the Trailer-Aid, I just don't wish to tote along unneeded stuff.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
The Lego type have a second use asd a camp site leveler for the camper. They adjust by stacking in 1 inch steps and stack to store. I will be getting a set for the driveway storage as I have a pronounced slope to my drive and to use at campsites.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
My lego-type levelling blocks work just as well and serve a dual purpose. Several years ago, when I had an internal brake failure (shoes came off), I had no problem raising the tailer on a ramp of levelling blocks and removing the wheel.

Nothing wrong with the Trailer-Aid, I just don't wish to tote along unneeded stuff.
I have also used the lego blocks prior to having this one. They work well on grass and dirt. However on asphalt, I have always had them shoot out from under the wheel as I am backing on them. Maybe I had it too steep. One of the plusses of the Trailer-Aid is that it has bolt heads sticking out of the foot part so they dig into the asphalt. I don't think, however, it would work on smooth concrete. Another drawback is the sucker is HEAVY!

Prior to the Trailer-Aid we were trying to get one wheel off so I was using a combination of lego blocks and some wood. I was pulling it forward on to this menagerie of a ramp. Got it up there and was electric jacking it off the hitch. As soon as it cleared the trailer decided it didn't want on the ramp (no I did not block the other side DUH!) and proceded to roll backwards off the ramp. Luckily the jack stand (aluminum) that I have slid with the trailer and it ended up down off the ramp about 2 feet away from the truck but intact. I had to sit down a bit after that one.
On the road!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #12
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
I bought and used the ‘Trailer Aid’ to change a new tire on my new 25’ Safari. It works very well and I recommend keeping one in the trailer for emergency use. Safer, better and faster than using a jack.

The rest of the story: It appears the during assembly at the JC factory, one tire picked up a hex head screw, just like the kind used to fasten the underbody sheet metal to the chassis.
I called the dealer and the factory and but didn’t get any satisfaction. Later I heard that it is not an uncommon problem. Tour the factory and you’ll see how easily it can happen.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote