Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
albany , California
Howdy! We have a 2016 Ram 1500 eco diesel towing a flyingcloud 27 footer.
we have the tow package and the 3.92 (?) axle.

Man, this thing tows the hell out of the trailer. We have pulled over Donner summit in the Sierras NO PROBLEM...about 8500 feet.

We have made a couple modifications. installed the Firestone airbag lift kit and replaced the shocks and did a 2" lift... looking back, the air bag addition was the only thing that made a difference. It helps us level the truck. We also have the blue ox swaybar....

The truck has no problem pulling or stoping the trailer. I would do it again. let me know if you have any specific questions.

Cheers, Skyler
schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyler View Post
Howdy! We have a 2016 Ram 1500 eco diesel towing a flyingcloud 27 footer.
we have the tow package and the 3.92 (?) axle.

Man, this thing tows the hell out of the trailer. We have pulled over Donner summit in the Sierras NO PROBLEM...about 8500 feet.

We have made a couple modifications. installed the Firestone airbag lift kit and replaced the shocks and did a 2" lift... looking back, the air bag addition was the only thing that made a difference. It helps us level the truck. We also have the blue ox swaybar....

The truck has no problem pulling or stoping the trailer. I would do it again. let me know if you have any specific questions.

Cheers, Skyler
Not sure why you would lift the truck 2" especially if your going to tow a27' AS? If left stock, you shouldn't need the airbags to level the truck if the BO is set up properly...just saying. The airbags don't do a thing for handling and give a false sense of added value when towing..several youtubes on this. Get the proper truck or TV, with the proper payload rating to handle your needs; likely your RAM does not have enough payload with your passengers and cargo for that rig set up, from what I recall in looking at the RAMs few years back... Do you have scale weights you can share and also look at the door jam drivers side, for max payload...be interesting to see... Note that Sctintman44 above your post has 1600+ payload rating...that's pretty darnd good for a 1/2T RAM...what is yours?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Thanks for that...nice payload and I am sure it's a great truck you will enjoy driving/pulling your AS! Would match nicely with a 25' or 26' AS...is that what your thinking?
In response to the ram 1500 I towa 34 with my 1500 Gmc 6.2 with max tow package. Pulls like its not behind me. I also fill my box with camping gear.
wvollans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:07 AM   #44

1970 21' Globetrotter
Woodway , Washington
Dodge 1/2 ton Ecco diesel

2017 Dodge Ecco Diesel crew cab with 6’4” bed and canopy. I have this truck and this past summer drove my 21’ Landyacht from Seattle to Newfoundland and back. 14 states, 9 provinces, 12,000 miles in 55 days. Average mpg 15.5, average travel speed 65mph, approximately 1500 lbs payload. Not stock items on this truck 17” wheels with Nitto road tires, and rear airbags with built in compressor. The power this little 200 hp diesel generated was impressive and had no problems pulling 10%+ grades on secondary roads in the Rockies, albeit not at 70mph. Never did I feel a need for more power. This is the most impressive truck I’ve owned and I was a Ford man up until this one (had a 83, 96 and a 05 all diesels). Hope this helps Bill Seattle
Kingcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Morro Bay , California
Tow question - we just purchased a 2008 Bambi DWR and looking forward to enjoying it. But, we do not have a tow vehicle yet. We have looked at the RAM 1500, Fords F-150, and the Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 L Duramax with Turbo-Diesel and their 3.6L V6 gas engines. We really like the design and look for the Colorado, plus it fits into our budget. How are we doing? Since the Bambi is 3500 lbs and tow range of Colorado is 7500, shouldn't we have enough power? We need input for those who tow and understand towing. We have not towed before but instead had a Sprinter Pleasure Way diesel for years and loved the diesel engine power drive. Only problem was that it rusted as we live on Coast and know that our airstream will not. Any input would be appreciated.
jzuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzuur View Post
Tow question - we just purchased a 2008 Bambi DWR and looking forward to enjoying it. But, we do not have a tow vehicle yet. We have looked at the RAM 1500, Fords F-150, and the Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 L Duramax with Turbo-Diesel and their 3.6L V6 gas engines. We really like the design and look for the Colorado, plus it fits into our budget. How are we doing? Since the Bambi is 3500 lbs and tow range of Colorado is 7500, shouldn't we have enough power? We need input for those who tow and understand towing. We have not towed before but instead had a Sprinter Pleasure Way diesel for years and loved the diesel engine power drive. Only problem was that it rusted as we live on Coast and know that our airstream will not. Any input would be appreciated.
What is the size/length of your Bambi? They had a 16' and 19' back then in the International lineup. CCD was the fancier model in this size; I forgot about the DWR (Design Within Reach) model. They did not offer a Safari in that size at the time...I thought both the 16 & 19 models were both called "Bambi" back then also....not sure.

Brother in law (staying with us currently) drives a GMC Canyon with 2.8L Duramax and loves it...4x4 CrewCab Longbed…payload is 1254lbs ; max rating for towing is 7600#...he is looking at a new 23FB Queen and it is heavier then your Bambi; he has done lots of research as he moves to an AS....he thinks this is a good match and as I said, he loves his Canyon!

The 2008 International series of Bambi 16' had a GVW max at 3,500# with tongue weight of 430#. The 19' Bambi had a GVW of 4,500# with tongue weight of 510#. I think you should be fine if you keep your payload down...weigh your rig at the truck scales to get accurate tongue weight.
Add the tongue weight, passenger/driver weight, and subtract from the payload weight on "your trucks payload sticker" inside your vehicle driver door jam, and then you will know how much additional cargo weight your truck is rated for. If you have the short bed, and not many options, your payload likely could be higher then he has. If you plan to carry a lot of "stuff" in the back like generator, bikes, campgear, bbq, etc...you might be close to or over capcity...might consider a 1/2T...Welcome to the AS world!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote