Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lakeview , Arkansas
Tools and other little necessities

23 D is at dealership and ready for pickup!!!! Yahoo!!!
My problem is that I had a tools /items list going and my super efficient better half was cleaning up our computer and deleted it. . Still new to forum and can't seem two locate the previous threads discussing this topic. I seem to remember one from a couple weeks ago that talked of tools fuses and lubes.
BTW. How does one search on this forum? Is there a tutorial section within this forum??
Dave
Airborne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
There are two ways to search Airforums. The first is to go to the upper dark blue tool bar on the portal page. Fill in what you are looking for and hit go. This works best if the thread you are seeking is recent because you usually get a really long list to go through.

The better way of searching is to Google what your are looking for along with the word, airforums. I have always gotten much better results this way.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Airborn6, Moosetags is correct.
Google search is the easiest way to search and it gives you multiple results.
Example: I Google searched your "tools fuses and lubes"added "for airstream" and I got 5 choices.

Here is the first choice listed:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ie-123597.html

Hope that helps,

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Batman, good link. Thank you for sharing.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Some say the only tools they have are their cell phone and credit card(s).

I ain't one of those wonderful folks...either.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Some say the only tools they have are their cell phone and credit card(s).

I ain't one of those wonderful folks...either.

Yep, at any given time I have 100 pounds of tools with me in the camper....

I hate having an issue I could fix if I just had the tools....

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:33 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lakeview , Arkansas
Much appreciated Moosetags and Batman. Did a screen shot on the search explanation to have it with me for future reference. That was the post I had been looking for. I am with the same mindset as J Morgan. If I can fix it I will. If not, break out the plastic money.
It is great to be able to pick the brains and gain knowledge through experience of this forums members. Have learned sooooo much while waiting for the AS to be built. Joined AIR officially a couple days ago. Awaiting stickers and #. 😄
Old 04-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
fth
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Fairlawn , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
There are two ways to search Airforums. The first is to go to the upper dark blue tool bar on the portal page. Fill in what you are looking for and hit go. This works best if the thread you are seeking is recent because you usually get a really long list to go through.

The better way of searching is to Google what your are looking for along with the word, airforums. I have always gotten much better results this way.

Brian
Hint: Use this with Google.

site:airforums.com search text

Only searches airforums.com
fth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
There are lots of general purpose tools that might come in handy, but here are a couple that might be hard to find in a pinch:

Since AS, in their wisdom, does not provide a lug wrench, get one that fits your wheels. I use a breaker bar that fits 1/2" sockets, which might also be useful for other purposes. Whatever you get, be sure to test it that it actually fits your lug nuts. For example, I have an X bar lug wrench with the right size on it, but it won't fit down into the hole in the AS wheels.

The bolt that holds my sway bar to the hitch gets loose, and has to be tightened from time to time. The last time I visited the AS dealer to get a recall notice fixed, I asked them to make sure those bolts were tightened to the correct torque, since I don't have a torque wrench. They were happy to do that, but didn't have the correct socket size to fit it! Fortunately, I did, so I loaned them mine. Maybe you won't have this particular problem, but you should think about what fasteners you might have that might need tightened in Caliente, NV, where the local station will be happy to tighten anything you want, as long as it fits a 7/8" or 1" socket.

New AS's are tight, as they should be. To free up that sticky lock (or whatever) a spray can of silicone lube comes in handy.

New AS's can be loose, as they shouldn't be. Before your TV falls off its brackets onto the floor, be sure to find all the screws that vibrated out and fell in the couch, or whatever, and screw them back in with a dab of (non-permanent) lock-tite on the threads. If you can't find them all, be sure to replace them with either metric or SAE as necessary. Just because a metric or SAE almost fits, you need to resist the urge to force it, because it will result in worse problems than you started with. Get the right size.

Some of the screws that hold the pull out bed, or cabinet doors, to some piece of wood will have been over tightened at the factory and will be stripped. They will fall out from vibration and hopefully you will find them. You will need a supply of the next size larger screw to replace them with, being careful, of course, not to over tighten them yourself.

Some cabinet or closet doors won't stay closed, and you will find canned goods or wine bottles rolling around the floor the next time you stop. When this happens, visit your local Home Depot or whatever, and you can find supplemental fastenings to keep them closed.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:16 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lakeview , Arkansas
Very good info McDave. Just got the new 23D home so I can check it all out and make sure I have the appropriate tools that will fit. Towed her 4 1/2 hours yesterday and she pulled like a dream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	236603  

WBCCI # 1959
Black 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
2015 23D International Signature (Salsa)
Stella our Bull Pointer mix
Old 05-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Tool list on our website at http://dreamstreamr.com/gearpage.html. We're in eight year full-timing and, like poster above, wouldn't leave home without hardware. It's really handy sometimes and, thankfully, we can help others too. Check out our page about what we carry and what didn't work out.

Hope this helps,

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lakeview , Arkansas
Thank you DreamStreamer. I do see some things I have overlooked. I can see this is an ongoing process to have the things we may need while on the road.
Dave

WBCCI # 1959
Black 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
2015 23D International Signature (Salsa)
Stella our Bull Pointer mix