Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #21
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Given the plastic bases of clearcoat finishes, I can follow how this might blend edges of a scratch. Do you follow with any wax or Walbernize application?
hi canoe stream....

i've got a route i follow....soap/water, 3m solvent, scratchX....these are nonabrasive. next up is 3m finesse-it scratch remover polishes that come 1500,1200,1000 grades....like sand paper. i work up the grades till the scratch/stain/blemish is gone....then back down the grades to refinish. these products are all much much less abrasive than traditional rubbing compounds....

then i follow with a polish/glaze from either 3m or meguiar's. last step is meguiar's polymer sealant. this is instead of wax/walbernize.

this is for the alcoa applied clearcoat. for older plastic coats, i'd use 3m plastic polish or meguiar's plastic polish.

i'm always amazed at how much the scratchX will remove. the accent stripe on my 34 must have been applied wrong, removed and reapplied. from the right angle a 2-3 inch wide patch of vertical scratches ringed the trailer.....from a scraper tool....

it took me about 3 hours...but i completely removed this abrasion last year with the meguiar's scratchX product.

for scratches that are through the clearcoat into aluminum....i'd use the can of spray clearcoat the factory sells....after a week, polish and wax as above...

of course scratches are like wrinkles....they keep appearing no matter what....and go with aging...
cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #22
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hey Bradk.

Nice set-up! Congratulations. And dig that crazy bunk!

One thing I noticed in the photos, and maybe it's just the angle of the photo, is that the front of your Pathfinder looks a little higher than the back. I gauging this by the space in the front wheel well compared to the rear.

This could mean that the Equilizer needs adjustment one way or another. I just wanted to point this out. Better safe than sorry.

BTW- we hate our Equilizer so much that we would never own any other brand than Equilizer....

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Old 04-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
laundry list

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

instead of telling us how horrible this dealer is......

why not just describe or list the issues/problems/behaviors....

and let us decide.....

your delivery appt started late and they wouldn't install your hitch...

late happens, but it's worse when you are wanting the trailer so badly...

would they not install the hitch as part of the price, did they want a fee, or just wouldn't do it...perhaps you're better off having done it yourself....

2 things?.....was that it or did they do other things to get you so fired up?

many of us will be traveling by their place this summer and may need service....so knowing what they did or didn't do....is useful.
2Air,
We just got home from a long trip, I will do a full write up on Bretz but not right now. Too tired.

I really don't have any interest in what you guys decide on the place, just consider yourself warned. I was there, went through the experience, not you, and I wouldn't go back if it was across the street and free.

The monitor is now not reading the grey tank at all. Something fishy but I will recalibrate and see what shakes.

Hey Jonothan, yeah it's the angle of the picture but also the wheel well measurements when we did the setup matched within .5-1" of eachother which was plenty for how cold, pissed off, and wet we were. We did the 6 hour trip from Great Falls this morning and all was just perfect.

There was snow on the ground there at "Dick's RV park" this morning in Great Falls. We were happy to get home to warmer Canada.

Thanks for all the help folks!
brad.
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Well, you got yourself and your coach home safely, in spite of the best efforts of the dealer. Now that you are home, you can tweak and adjust everything, and figure out how things work, and why they don't.
Let us know if you need help, or even moral support.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Loved the interior pics. You've got it looking so cool! Now for the fun part, bonding with your baby. My mother told me delivery was the greatest pain soon forgotten. Congratulations on your new addition to the family.

photography
wheel interested is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:12 AM   #26
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Brad,
In talking to the service folks at Jackson Center you may have a bum sensor. They said they were replacing a significant number of them. If recalibrating does not work then it will have to be replaced.
Hope you can find service in Canada.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Thanks Michelle!

Hopefully that's not the case as the closest airstream dealer is 3 hours north of here. I'm making a trip up that way in a few weeks anyway.

Thanks for the info and how did your service stuff go at Jackson Center?

cheers,
brad.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:10 AM   #28
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Brad,
They took care of everything! I must say I was really impressed by the factory. They even took care of a few preference items. Like my Pump switches did not show on in the same postions are the ones around them. A pilot thing. The Service faucet was pointed forwards. I had them point it backwards so I could the the black tank flush pig tail on the valve.
I can highly recommend them for anything you need for your airstream.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:30 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
that's great

I'd love to make it down there sometime, I'd really like to take a factory tour.

The problem:
Calgary, AB CA Revise | New Directions

Jackson Center, OH US Revise | New Directions

Total Est. Time: 32 hours, 11 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 1892.19 miles

That's a looooong way to for a grey tank sensor . We were laughing the other night as my father said, "hey I fixed it"...I looked and he just turned the panel off. Works just fine that way.

Post some pics fo the factory if you have any!

Cheers,
brad.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
It is wild that the dealer told one person that they had never seen a Reese hitch and they only see/use Equal-i-zer, and then told another person that Equal-i-zer is junk and they use Reese. It sounds like they sell what's on their shelf that day, and badmouth the others.

My delivery experience, from another dealer in the southeast 3 years ago, was poor as well. I was anxious to hitch up the trailer, get out of there, and never return.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
My delivery experience, from another dealer in the southeast 3 years ago, was poor as well. I was anxious to hitch up the trailer, get out of there, and never return.
Yeah Dan, you see either vino or vinegar about Bates RV too ....

(and 2air -- that does constitute a post in either the pre- or post-5000 world!)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:28 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
It's really too bad you got jacked around by those bozos in Missoula! You should have trekked on over to Spokane and dealt with Spokane Airstream. Family owned and excusively Airstream. They go the extra mile to make sure you're satisfied. Stop in if you're ever over this way..Deer Lake area.

Cheers, Jeff
2005 22' CCD
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote