Old 03-25-2003, 08:28 PM   #1
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Donnellson , Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Tinovations Send a message via Yahoo to Tinovations
To theme or not to theme that is the question

Curious as to how Airstream owners feel about decorating their vintage Airstreams with a theme such as the POLO editions.

I've often thought about trying the nautical theme yet I really do like the 50's theme our Overlander was born with !

Hope this thread sparks some interest.

'55 Overlander
Cary, NC

Tinovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
We are tossing this very idea around right now.
Tabasco has all sorts of neat stuff like nice big throws, dishes,Peper patio lights, accessories etc. We understand that there is some Tabaso Fabrics available that would be heavy enough to use to recover the sofa. Free catalog available at

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:37 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
I kind of like the theme if it is appropriate to the vintage of the trailer but I really dont think "Polo" is. Some one has a cute Hawaiian one (dont know who) but it's really cute.
Just my opinion.

hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 06:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
"Themed" airstreams are a little scary to me, because I think I would have a tendency to tire of a theme. Not being a "true" Airstream person, and by that I mean I bought my Caravel for a purpose other than camping. We needed a Guest house, and I have always loved Airstreams. Of course I looked at the Lauren themed airstreams for inspiration.
I have some sort of affinity toward the 1930's and 1940s. I like the fabrics, colors that were in vogue, the scale of things, furniture, architecture, music, etc. I like the quality of switches, dials knobs and other mechanical things of the era. But even though I love that era my wife and I eventually settled on a late 60s Caravel, because we needed the extra room the body curvature permits. We found a gutted one, because I couldn't bring myself to tear apart a restorable trailer (even a Caravel, let alone a Trailwind). So here I am, creating a sort of custom trailer/guesthouse that even though it was built in the 60s, will have a distinct 30s-40s trailer feel to it. I guess it will be sort of a
"take-the-best-from-the-eras-I-love-the-most" theme. So now we are deciding on mahogany or birch paneling and looking at fabrics. . .
amfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Round Rock , Texas
I've been thinking about this since buying my 1965 Overlander a couple of months ago, and just this morning decided to go with a Jetsons' theme. I already have a nice retro table lamp, and a Buck Rogers starship style lava lamp, plus an 8-inch tin Gort (remember the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still"?).

My A/S is at Birchwood Beauties in Vacaville, CA, right now, getting some rust and flooring damage repaired, as well as getting akitchen remodel so I can fit a larger refrigerator and put a microwave where the oven used to be. If anyone needs a near mint oven let me know quick before I sell it cheap to a used RV appliance dealer.

Now I'm looking for some retro fabric to make a new couch and cushions for the front. The PO replaced the original couch with a rear seats straight out of a Dodge Caravan. No accounting for taste, which is the reason I'm looking for some fabric with pink flamingos wearing sunglasses and playing saxophones. If you know where I can order something like that please let me know. If I can't find the cool flamingos I'll settle for fabric with rockets ships out of the Jetsons or Buck Rogers eras. Even NASA Mercury mission fabric would work for my theme.

What can I say. I came of age in the 60s, although I was unfortunately too young to participate in all the free love stuff.
Photobitstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:57 PM   #6
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Our Argosy Motorhome was built in 1976 and my Wife's family has always been very Patriotic. So we have decided to use the coaches birthdate as the basis for out theme, Stars and Stripes.

The exterior will be a pearl white with a blue nose contining a field of white stars (I am attempting to get the exteror graghis done in a reflective vinyl) with waving red strips down the sides. The exact design has not been agreed upon, but the overall idea is in motion. Inside we have already done Blue solid curtains, ivory counters, and we plan to recover the couch and chairs in a Ivory fabric/leather with accents of red. The carpet, if we do it will be blue as well.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote