Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2003, 04:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Question To "file" or Not to" file"

Last weekend my '99 Safari was out in a good hail storm and was damaged. It broke both vent covers and A/C cover. The hail came from the direction the trailer was headed and caught the brunt of the hail on the front cap and around the front window and on top. It didn't get much of the sides. The top is beat pretty good in places. Where the front cap was dented it also took off a small portion of clearcoat on each one. I am torn as to whether to file a claim or not. I guess I can live with the looks of it but I sort of would like to have it fixed, but I don't want my rates to soar. I also don't want to be without it most of the summer. The only dealer in the area that repairs them also wants $100 for an estimate. I have not talked to the agent but I would think that would be refunded in the claim. I have already replaced the vent covers and A/C cover which took a little more than my deductible. Any feelings would be appreciated.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:05 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I would pay the 100 bucks and get the estimate before too much time has passed. Three reasons.

1. If you decide to file in a month you can be assured that the damage that is on the estimate has not been added to, The insurace company may give you some greifwhen you wait.

2. You will have a hard number repair cost and depending on the repair and the value of the trailer you may want to not file if the cost excceds the value.

3. You may find the repair $$ are enough to get the visible panels fixed, reimburse you for what you have spent, and put some monies away for the next mishap. I know of a few AS owners that have done just that.

The repair cost could be reasonable, and IF you are working with an agent he may be able to tell you what a claim of X would do to your future rates.

BUT.........

If the front dome is damaged and all 3 segments have to be replaced you may end up with a leak in the front to match the one in the rear . You need to be sure that who ever fixes it is going to stand behind the work and make every attemt to remedy a problem after your check clears.

Just my $.02 worth
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
To "file" or Not to" file"

Another consideration is the reduced value of a hail damaged coach. If the panels aren't repaired and the factory finish has been damaged it won't take long for corrossion to begin either. Even if you choose not to repair, your insurance company may offer a settlement based upon the reduction in value due to the damaged appearance - - I know that my insurance company tried to convince me to accept such a settlement when I had an unfortunate encounter with a gatepost that left three deep scratches along a four plus foot section of the streetside panel of my Overlander four years ago.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

With our recent top panel dent caused by a (hit & run) we called the insurance company right away. First, the AS was new and the honeymoon was in full swing. Second, had we not fixed it, there may have been a leak that may not have showed up for years when the floor would show rot. Third, that's why we paid for insurance. They, the insurance company had no qualms with it even though it cost two thousand dollars for the panel, installed. It's an Airstream (better than having cash losing value every day) and you want to maintain your Airstreams value. We will get ours back in ten more days and we can't wait! If you wait to file, you may get less or nothing at all. Make the file.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote