2013, around 40 nights and 4400 miles
2012, 52 nights, 8261 miles
2011, 50 nights, 5652 miles
2010, 57 nights, 8152 miles
2009, 37 nights, 5847 miles
2008, 37 nights, 7252 miles
2007, 23 nights, 5230 miles
2006 blah blah blah
Geez, 300+ nights and 45,000 miles later...

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Storing at home is not bad. There is not a whole lot of loading and unloading. We leave summer clothes, winter clothes, and non perishable groceries and dry goods and sundries in the trailer forever to prevent loading and unloading. We even leave cases of soft drinks and bottled water in there. We leave groceries with really long dates in there- macaroni, ramen, ravioli, chicken soup, grits, oatmeal- All we have to do when we go is go. We will think about what perishable groceries we need and buy them along the way after the refrigerator has started cooling. There are even books, magazines, puzzles, movies- everything- ready to roll. Every once in a while I inventory what's in there and restock socks and underwear. When it comes time to go to Canopener we will just go- we will hit a grocery store on the way- even some ingredients for my tamales are always in there- spices, hot sauce, corn meal- all dishes, toiletries, paper goods, foil, charcoal- everything-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
West Dummerston , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Six to seven months a year touring about the country on the way to destinations in the south for winter. This is our fifth year with Airstreams, sure beats the many years with VW Camper vans for comfort but not for touring.
I have enjoyed this thread as my wife and I plan our airstream travels. Looking to travel from cold north to AZ next fall and spend the winter. Can't wait😏
2008 Triton TR186
ricks-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #74
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Have had SilverLeaf for just two years, but this year I spent 67 nights in it, and enjoyed every single one. Granted, one trip was 4 full weeks. Oh, I will spend Christmas eve in it as well. (My son, daughter-in-law and grandkids live in Charlotte....and her folks will be visiting them for a couple of weeks and they'll have the guest room.....I tow my trailer and sleep in my OWN bed...and I have NO issues with dewinterizing and rewinterizing, either....as I'm fortunate enough to have had a shed built for my trailer in my backyard....with full hookups so I can sleep out there if I want!)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Stafford , Virginia
We got our AS on Nov 6th this year and have spent 7 nights in it. We were hoping to go somewhere over Christmas but may stay around home. We anticipate traveling many weekends when spring comes and the month of July, maybe a week or so in August. Being a teacher helps with the summer travel schedule! I'd like to shoot for 50-60 nights a year.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Purchased Fiona on November 2, 2013. So far, spent 13 nights in her.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #77
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Poised For Departure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
.... We leave summer clothes, winter clothes, and non-perishable groceries and dry goods and sundries in the trailer forever to prevent loading and unloading. We even leave cases of soft drinks and bottled water in there. We leave groceries with really long dates in there- macaroni, ramen, ravioli, chicken soup, grits, oatmeal.. Every once in a while I inventory what's in there and restock socks and underwear. When it comes time to go...we will hit a grocery store on the way
Does anybody else do otherwise?

We found various size plastic storage bins at Wally World that fit the drawers and overhead cabinets perfectly so moisture (humidity) and bugs are thwarted during storage periods.

We do a top to bottom cleaning/restock at each trip conclusion so we are ready on a whim for another outing. Our trailer is stored about 15 miles away so we grab meds, computers, etc., and take a cooler full of frozen water bottles to jump start the reefer on our way out the door.

It has allowed us to maximise our outings as only a minimal lead time has us mobile again. I guess you could say we are evacuation prepped although we aren't pessimists. I'd rather be labeled a "travel optimist!"
Old 12-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I thought maybe some people do otherwise because they seem to think loading/unloading is a big deal.
We basically have a bag of dirty clothes to unload. We even have Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes in there.
That is another reason I don't understand tire threads and tongue weight threads- we have under 7,500# on our trailer axle and maybe 1,000# tongue weight as loaded as we'll ever be.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #79
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Does anybody else do otherwise?

We found various size plastic storage bins at Wally World that fit the drawers and overhead cabinets perfectly so moisture (humidity) and bugs are thwarted during storage periods.

We do a top to bottom cleaning/restock at each trip conclusion so we are ready on a whim for another outing. Our trailer is stored about 15 miles away so we grab meds, computers, etc., and take a cooler full of frozen water bottles to jump start the reefer on our way out the door.

It has allowed us to maximise our outings as only a minimal lead time has us mobile again. I guess you could say we are evacuation prepped although we aren't pessimists. I'd rather be labeled a "travel optimist!"
During hurricane season, my Airstream is kept fully prepped for evacuation. Full freshwater tank, empty holding tanks, full propane tank, full diesel tank, closet with at least three days' worth of clean clothing, one set of clean bedding, cabinets stocked with at least three days' worth of canned goods with a six-month or greater shelf life but empty refrigerator, a couple of unread books, a couple of DVDs. When I decide to evacuate, personal electronics, medications, and the contents of my home refrigerator (at least whatever will fit in my Airstream's dinky 3.1cf fridge) get loaded up and I hit the road. Only three days of food and clothing because I'm evacuating to someplace civilized, where I can do laundry or buy groceries. If I wanted to boondock for a hurricane, there would be no need to evacuate, just stay home, and when municipal services are interrupted, then bam, instant boondocking, even if I never leave the apartment.

Outside of hurricane season, it's a bit different. I don't store clothes or clean bedding, canned goods, books, DVDs, or fresh water inside the Airstream. It doesn't take me all that long to load these things up for a trip, and given space restrictions, I much prefer to take only what I expect to need. I don't have enough room in my Airstream Interstate to carry any food that I'm not going to eat on the current trip, or any clothes I'm not going to wear on the current trip. If I plan the trip just right, I arrive back home at the end of the trip with one laundry basket of dirty clothes, with no leftover clean ones, and no food at all left over to unload.

I have separate cookware and dinnerware for my Airstream that resides in it year-round so I don't have to transfer that stuff back and forth, at least. Plus a separate tool kit for the Airstream, that's actually a bit more complete than my home kit (I'm an apartment dweller, so there aren't a whole lot of fix-it-yourself projects around home).
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #80
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
For the first 10 years or so of Airstreaming (our first and only RV to date) we spent in the range of 30 - 40 nights in the trailer. Mostly long weekends and periodically a 10 day trip.

Now that we have more time on our hands, we left our jobs voluntarily two years ago, we are averaging 180 nights - and it's been great.

Next year we have some home projects to catch up on so it will probably be under 100 nights.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
We spend most of our time in one spot. Mine stays in a huge barn (retirement property) and we camp in the trailer getting the property ready. We usually will take it for anywhere from two weeks to a month every summer.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Per year. 3 months in Fl. 3-4 months for one long caravan plus going and coming. couple of weekend trips. so on a good year about 6-7 months in the trailers.
Headed out on the landmarks west caravan this summer and will come home slowly.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I don't have enough room in my Airstream Interstate to carry any food that I'm not going to eat on the current trip, or any clothes I'm not going to wear on the current trip. If I plan the trip just right, I arrive back home at the end of the trip with one laundry basket of dirty clothes, with no leftover clean ones, and no food at all left over to unload.
From one Interstate owner to another....I totally get this!! My eyes are bugging out reading all the stuff trailer owners take and pack!

We're so new to this, and just figuring out our "packing system." But so far, this seems to be working for us:

Stashed in the RV are dog bowls, dog toys, dog comb/brush, doggie poop bags. In the space left over for us, we leave bedding, toiletries, kitchen plates/utensils, and a couple of inexpensive musical instruments.

When it's time to pack, we start with dog food, dog beds/blankies. In the space left over, we pack some clothes for us! Then stop at store and buy some beverages and basic food/snacks.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You have less storage in an Airstream than in an sob. When we traded we had to jettison lots of cargo. In our sob we had 3 box fans, 3 lawn chairs, a bbq grill- more books, movies, blankets- and all those overhead lockers were still not full-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955