Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2003, 06:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Thoughts on end of camping season

For many of us Airstream owners who live in areas where temperatures drop below freezing for extended periods of time, it is getting close to that time when our thoughts are turning toward thinking about the end of the camping season. Even though I know another camping season will arrive next year, I am already nostalgic. I personally am not looking forward to the winterizing-time of year and try to avoid thinking about it until I have to. Does anyone else have thoughts to share on this topic?
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Head south.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 07:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally posted by 74Argosy24MH
Head south.
LOL! Right after I posted this thread, I just knew someone would say to go South!

I should have added "For many of us Airstream owners who still work full-time..."
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 08:00 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Ours is just beginning

We generally can expect great camping weather from about 9/1 through the end of the year and often into January.

The state parks are usually almost empty during the week. That is when I load up the kayak and hitch up the A/S.

Last year, we had a vintage rally mid-January and it was cold, but not freezing. After about mid- to late-February, it is usually warm enough, but tends to be rainy. With the exception of the freak storm last spring, by mid-March, things are usually pretty nice again.

It's great for retirees since we can easily avoid the crowds and kids.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 08:16 AM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Thoughts on end of camping season

Quote:
Originally posted by yukionna
[B I personally am not looking forward to the winterizing-time of year and try to avoid thinking about it until I have to. Does anyone else have thoughts to share on this topic? [/B]
Yukionna...

I too am having difficulty dealing with the end of summer this year. The older I get, the less I enjoy winter and the faster the summer passes. Perhaps if we all sat in a big circle and chanted a mantra or something we could stave off the cold weather?

Ok, maybe not... just know that I'm with ya in mourning the passing of summer this year!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
We are hoping to have our Coach back in service before X/mas. Day after X-mas Hitch it up and head down to the keys. If it works out this will be our first trip in ours
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 10:09 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I'm up here in Alaska. and beings as how winter is a large part of our existence, we do stuff then. So, I am anticipating using the trailer. I mean, jeez, its got a heater, and the tanks are, supposedly, protected to a degree (Hah!) and heated. Of course, I don't have a heated garage to store it in, so I will probably drain the water systems and just go with using the T "dry". A lot of the fall steelhead season gets temp.s in the 20's.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 10:10 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This is our first season, but being in a mild climate, I don't see it ending anytime soon. We're thinking the trailer will be perfect for trips to the beach during the winter. It can be cold and windy, but it's always fun to let the dogs play on the beach, and to curl up in the trailer with a book and relax for a spell. And who knows, maybe we'll work in that winter AZ trip we've been planning. Yep, the only reward for living with all this rain is that it seldom drops below freezing around here.

Good luck toaster, I can't wait to see pics of your coach finally hitting the road. You've sure been working hard on it, you deserve to finally get to enjoy it as it was intended!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 03:47 PM   #9
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
When we lived in Canada we had an expression for the weather which went something like "six months of winter-and another six months of poor sledding! "
Now that we live in 300 sunshine days/year the only thing stopping us is what elevation the snowline is down to! We find camping in the summer more of a hindrance- as it's either too hot or the sites are booked, so now that the fall is here we're looking at hitting the desert areas in the cool uncrowded autumn.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 04:08 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Does anyone else have thoughts to share on this topic?

Florida is nice this time of year...
Terry
(in Florida)
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 05:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Thoughts on end of camping season
I don’t like those thoughts! Where has the summer gone?

Quote:
its got a heater, and the tanks are, supposedly, protected to a degree (Hah!) and heated.
We've only used ours twice this summer and we are itching to get out in it again. I would just love to get out sometime in the winter and spend a weekend in the A/S. I think that would be a lot of fun.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 06:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
autumn is the best time

ive spent the years since 1975 truck camping...now that im a wee bit aged(yuck...you lucky 30 somethings...im eating my heart out...) Miss moneypit has entered my life...and i will no longer freeze my booty off sleeping in wyoming...but autumn is best of all...cheaper fuel.. no bugs.. crisp weather..no humditity...and no ugly americans on the road to cause problems and piss off the truckers.... in fact they are almost civil...( i think...its been years since my last road trip)...so the 1st of the month im be seatttle bound....im gettin the hell out of chicago and lookin for some friendly souls that will tip their hat and say good morning.....ands thats all you need to know....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 07:32 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ask me again in december!

yukionna

the two best months for camping are coming up!

october and november are great months to get out and about in wisconsin. last year i used my trailer right up to thanksgiving for deer hunting.

even if we get a cold snap i'll winterize the plumbing and still use the trailer.

the only thing that will keep me off the road is salt on the highway.

other than that, and planning ahead for lots of propane i can't think of a reason not to go camping when everyone else has put theirs up for the winter.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 07:56 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Last winter, we picked up the Bambi in February. We camped in the driveway 2 or 3 times. This year, we may go camping a few times locally since some of the state parks are open all year round....

Of course, only when the salt is pretty much not all around. Being that we're picking up the new twinkie in December, I am hoping that mother nature will be kind......we'll have to see....

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
the only thing that will keep me off the road is salt on the highway
That was our motto when we lived in SE Wisconsin.

Since I grew up here in FL, freezing water has always been exciting to me. There was no way I was staying inside with all that cool frozen water outside.

While we were in WI, we traveled in our AS until the first of the year, at least. We would go ahead and winterize the trailer if we had to, and use it dry. The peace of a state park in late fall and early winter is amazing.

If we were still there, I'd be looking forward to the most serene 3 months of camping still ahead.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:26 PM   #16
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
bet you'll be back!

edie/brett,

wisconsinites never leave, they just vacation elsewhere for a while!

john
Old 09-28-2003, 07:56 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
The camping season never dies here in Illinois I will camp all year long if I can.

Chris
WBCCI #2732
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:59 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey Chris...nice to see you around a bit more.....you've been kind of absent for a while.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 08:48 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
This is going to be an unusually long winter for me. We traded in the Safari this weekend for a to be built 04' Classic 30' Slide Out. After a trip to Branson my Safari will go to the dealer for resale. The Classic should come in around the end of November so we will be waiting for an early spring. Unlike Silvertwinkie I can't keep the trailer at home to play in so it will be buttoned up in my inside winter storage location while I dream of warmer days.....

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 07:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
what a way to get out of winterizing the rig!!!

norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote