Old 03-02-2003, 12:28 PM   #15
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I looked into the tank from the head (not been used yet). I guesstimated that it is larger than 8 gallons. When it warmed up I was going to do the gallon at a time test since no one including the people at A/S could answer it, nor have I been able to receive any return emails on the subject.

They did tell me when I called A/S that the upper bunk was discontinued after the '02 Bambi run. '03 has no upperbunk even as an option and A/S updated their website after I called with the question.

I'd also like would like to make the comment that I agree with Jack's comments, but I still find it hard to believe and accept the sign of the times stuff, even though it's true. For example, Cisco Systems, like A/S has historically been more expensive than competitors, way more expensive. Yet calling Cisco for questions or support is one of the most plesant and complete events one could ever expect from a company from a customer's perspective. Cisco is like the Zen of support and info on their products! When you call a company and only seem to get a straight answer at times on a product, and that they authorize some dealers, not all, that are somewhat clueless, I feel that it is a area that needs improvement. I can't accept the comparision to buying a VCR or a car. Although I don't support that these vendors for VCRs and cars shouldn't know the products either, there are a thousands more options. Additionally, when I call the manufacturer, Chevy for example or email, if they don't have the answer, they get it to me. This happens only 90% of the time w/ A/S. Maybe Cisco went through this too at some point. Bottom line, is that I think quaility and correct info in customer communications as well as dealer selection (which Cisco also is very picky about too) is what you make of it as a company.

The Reader's Digest version of this saga is that A/S communications through it's phone, web and dealer is an area that needs improvement. I looked into the Bambi for almost a year and found this issue consistantly throughout the process and contiuning after the purchase. Would using a different dealer have yeided a different perspective? Perhaps, but as most of us know there are not a whole lot of games in town when it comes to buying or repairing A/S rigs.

Was I or would I ever consider anything besides an A/S in the future? Not sure, but it would have to be one heck of a rig for me to even think of not buying that 6 sleeper Safari next if and when the time comes as we get to be a larger family. Right now it's just the two of us and the pooch!

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
I like the long term outlook.

I like the long term outlook of Thor stock and am currently buying a few shares every month. I believe the world has changed after Sept. 11, and that demographics will out weigh all of other factors. The preretirement boomers will buy these and other RVs because of a general reluctance to fly, (certainly instead of flying to Europe or taking luxury cruises). I think that getting Thor at under 10X earnings makes it a bargin in todays market. The real profit at Thor has to be in the high end motorhome divisions.
Just a guess on my part but I now think that Thor may eventually spin off Airstream. Richard Riegel III age 36 son-in-law of Wade Thompson the TH of Thor is now the president of Airstream Inc. Thor was founded when Wade Thompson and Peter Orthwein put together a company in 1980 to buy out the then not profitable Airstream. Airstream was made profitable the 1st year under their management. Thor then used the profits and income from Airstream to continue to buy out other RV manufacturers.
The son inlaw is a fresh graduate (1998)of business school. How better to test his metal than by giving him the reins of the company that you started with?
I like the long term prospects of the company, it was trading at $40 a share in Dec. before the oil workers strike in Venezuela (which is still going on) and the increased Iraq war jitters. The strike in Ven. has a much greater impact on US price than Iraq since we don't get any oil from Iraq. How ever I would not be the first one to get cut trying to catch a falling knife. I am looking long term and will continue to average down for while.

Rod Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:55 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
In a few days it might be time to buy THO ???

I have been in and out of the stock for several years.
I am currently out but with the accounting impropriety suddenly dropping the price it may be time to get back in some time soon. Why Bears are Betting Against Thor: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance
Rod Pease
19' Bambi
2001GMC Z-71 5.3L 3.73
5W-30 Synthetic
Rod Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #18

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Careful, friends. Sometimes stocks fall because they are not worth the price and risk. Buy good funds and diversify. Buy on news like this only if you have play money.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:38 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
"Remember when TV sets were a real piece of furniture and not a box of plastic? Is the quality the same? I'm not sure, but needless to say the work ethic of American workers is different and the attitude of business management is different also...these differences aren't always for the better."
My opinion is that you picked a poor example. Back when the TV sets were substantial pieces of good looking furniture, the electronics were primitive, though for its day, they were on the bleeding edge of development. I fixed those TV sets for several years, before getting a regular job, and remember that the deflection yoke and the 6BQ6 horizontal deflection driver were pretty fragile. TV sets nowadays, though not beautiful, seldom fail; they're thrown away long before they crap out.
Back to Thor and Airstream. I imagine they are in the final stages of moving production overseas. Just a guess that they will wring every peny out of the existing plans and one day !surprise! close them.
just my opinion
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:34 PM   #20
Site Team
, Minnesota
I just know Monaco Coach is up 50% in four months. Maybe IBT would prefer a ride in a nice Monaco?
MNC: Basic Chart for MONACO COACH CP - Yahoo! Finance
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Originally Posted by herrgirdner
Back to Thor and Airstream. I imagine they are in the final stages of moving production overseas. Just a guess that they will wring every peny out of the existing plans and one day !surprise! close them.
just my opinion
If they are they would be one of the first to be bringing any large numbers of RV's into the US market from an overseas source. As far as I know the only unit currently being "imported" other than the VW/Sprinter Westfalia would the the T@B from Thor, and my understanding is that the components are shipped to the US and assembled here.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #22

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia

It would be a sad day indeed if AS production went overseas. Even though Jackson Center is about 600 miles from me, I look for chances to stop by when I can. The factory and people, their work ethic, and the village itself, from what I can tell, are timeless Americana.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote