Old 08-28-2003, 08:35 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Question Thor bought a SOB company?

I heard that THOR, who owns A/S, purchased a large sob company making them one of the largest manufacturers of motorhomes. Is this accurate?

Has anyone heard the deal? How will it affect current units? Are they headed in another direction? Is it good for Airstreamers?....jem

zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 08:58 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Thor owns many RV Manufacturers

Damon I think was the most recent aquisition.

Hurricane
Infinity
Mandalay
Windsport

Are the ones listed on the www.thorindustries.com site under class A

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 06:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Since Airstream is such a high end travel trailer with a relatively small consumer base, compared to all the many sob's combined, they need someone with a large capital base, (Thor), to keep Airstream funded. I'm afraid that Airstream would not be able to sustain it's self in a market full of lower priced sob's. What I fear most is that since Thor owns quite a few sob names, is that some of the same cheap building practices and materials of those sob's may find their way into Airstreams for the sake of higher profit margins. Let's hope I'm wrong!! Just my 2 cent.
Andre
Old 08-29-2003, 07:12 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by RACRX
What I fear most is that since Thor owns quite a few sob names, is that some of the same cheap building practices and materials of those sob's may find their way into Airstreams for the sake of higher profit margins. Let's hope I'm wrong!! Just my 2 cent.
Andre
Andre,
I hate to tell you in a lot of cases it has. We looked at a Bambi at a dealer's a couple of weeks ago. I could not believe the fit and finish was as poor as it was for the price of the unit. If and when I buy it will be a vintage...even if I have to do a ground up restoration. I have played with vintage cars and aircraft for years and could not believe that AS would send out a product with the exposed metal edges not deburred or cleaned up in any way, as well as the amount of construction debris still inside and silicone caulk globbed on.

Aaron
Old 08-29-2003, 09:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Aaron,

I too looked at several new Airstreams a few weeks ago. I'm affraid our concerns were not just limited to the Bambi's. A couple of their top end classics left a lot to be desired in the fit and finish department. I won't get into all that here as I have already voiced my opinions elsewhere on this forum and the AS forum. Sounds like we have some of the same ideas when it comes to redoing an older unit. I to am into the classic cars having just finished a 3 year resto on a 68 Z/28 thats been in the family (not mine) since the car was a year old. If you have time you can see it at, Z/28, good luck with a vintage!
Andre