Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Seal Beach , California
Thinking of buying

So….we are wading into the airstream waters and have started to look around. If we decided to buy a new one, how much off MSRP do you think I can get one for?
pksben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings From The Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, it would depend upon several factors. A current model year of a popular model may net a 10% reduction. A not as popular last year's model may get you into the 15% to 20% area.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pksben View Post
So….we are wading into the airstream waters and have started to look around. If we decided to buy a new one, how much off MSRP do you think I can get one for?
First WELCOME! This site is a motherload of information and practical help. Dive in.

15% to 20% - the more popular the model, the less you'll get off. You can possibly get a bit more if a particular model has sat on the dealer's lot for a long time.

You did not ask, BUT this is obviously your first Airstream. Consider buying gently used. Why? Well here is a very personal example. (Don't bother reading the rest if you think $20,000 is just something you'd drop for a week or two vacation, or your kid's sixteenth birthday. )

I bought an 05 22 ft CCD and a year later traded up to a 2006 25 FB SE Safari. Last year I was involved in a rollover wreck, and got very lucky to find a 2012 25 Eddie Bauer that was very gently used. Got it at Colonial Airstream where another "first time owner" had bought it a year earlier, had it shipped to his home in Florida - and apparently used it either zero or ONE time. If I told you how much money he lost/I saved, you'd probably need to change undies.

They do depreciate heavily in the first year or two. The odds of you finding the perfect trailer on the first go round are 50/50 at best. So, IF you decide you need to upsize or downsize - or just realize after a couple of trips that this just isn't for you - the walk away cost will be much lower. And don't forget, you'll probably need a tow vehicle too.

Ways to research available Airstream choice for your family?
  1. visit a dealer without your checkbook - sit in and pretend your camping in several models
  2. look at the "upcoming rallies" in this forum - they're generally open to anyone who wants to attend, and there's almost always an open house where owners will show off their units and discuss the strengths and weaknesses of their model
  3. WBCCI is the Wally Byam Caravan Club Internatonal - they also advertise their rallies on this forum, but call or send a message to see if they are "open" or closed events before just dropping in
  4. click on "Classifieds" here and explore
  5. look at craigslist, local newspapers, storage yards, etc. you can find anything from vintage to something only months old
  6. there are actually Airstream Only RV Parks - if there is one near you, it can be a happy hunting ground, as owners DO sometimes simply age out - or develop medical conditions that make travel a bad idea.

And by the way, the vintage community has some drool worthy choices too. You're probably not ready to really choose until you know what an Argosy is, what the common vintage kin trailers are, and a "squarestream" - what the heck? Oh and just one more thing. An SOB is "square old box" or "some other brand" on this forum. Happy hunting and happy trails.

Paula
Old 06-29-2014, 02:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Really check the units out!

I mean lie on a bed and see if you can sit up without hitting your head like I did in our 25FB after getting it home on our shake down trip. Sit in the dinette and look at the television.is having your head turned an issue to see the television? It was our first RV and purchased while I was overseas sight unseen. It was a huge mistake to rely on the literature and floor plan drawings therein.

We traded our 25FB after a few months as it was not working for us and ordered what we have now, a 31" Classic model 30.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I am thinking about buying a 2015 Classic. Can anyone explain what all is standard on a classic and which dealer is the most price effective?
I saw one at the Hersey show and I think I was told power awning and power stabilizers and Michelin tires and glass mat batteries are standard?..

I tried to find out this info on the AS website couldn't find it. Maybe I am not looking in the right place. Comments vs the Classic and a 30 Serenity would be appreciated. My first AS venture and am Total GREEN

Thank you
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome EarlM. We have an 1986 Classic Limited that has been in the family since new. These Airstreams last a long time with proper maintenance.

I suggest you visit the Colonial Airstream website. They have some good video tours of the new Classic. They also have some links to brochures and the like. They are a large Airstream dealer with a good reputation, however there are other good dealers too.

I welcome you and pksben to Air Forums and the Airstream community. It's a great way to travel. Airstreams are very expensive. But they are unique and last a long time. I find these Forums helpful, courteous, and fun. I find fellow Airstreamers the same way. Airstreaming is my retirement recreation.

Here is a photo of my old Limited, hooked up and ready to depart for our trip to Acadia. We like to simply head in a general direction and drive without a schedule or particular destination. The journey is the fun. Find a place you like, then stay a few days and explore. Or simple rest a while. My old Airstream is not as nice as the new ones, but it is still functional and comfortable.

If you decide to get one, be prepared to meet new folks and answer questions. You will likely be the only one in the RV park. People will want to know why you bought one!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1410 Black Stripe.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	228096  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote