Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2003, 12:13 PM   #1

Thinking about it

At the moment, I am 8 to 12 years away from retirement (depending upon whether or not I work until I am 70). I have my small pickup with a camper shell, to which I attach my tent for camping, attach my moped to my trailer hitch, and off I go---from our home in Las Vegas to my favorite - Kelly Creek/Northfork Clearwater in Idaho, but also to 4-Corners, Montana, Wyoming. The nice thing about being a HS math teacher is being free all summer long to pursue my passion---the main reason I am a teacher.

I have always dreamed of an Airstream, since a kid seeing them out on the road, and I still drool whenever I come across one while out on my summer trips. Hence, am enjoying reading many of your conversations about everything, and becoming increasingly more well-informed---thanks.

The main issues for me now are: (1) When I buy one, I will need to store it because there is absolutely no room here at our home in LV, with 2-car garage and small yard space. Any knowledge on cost of that? (2) I don't know whether to wait until retiring (or just before) or to go ahead now---will be in much better shape financially at retirement time, but would sure like to start sooner!

All I have read from your postings has provided me a lot of info on towing rigs, vintage vs new, size of trailer, etc.

Thanks for the past info and anything any of you may have to say now. By the way, any fellow flyfisherman out there who want to discuss anything about that? I haven't seen many Airstreamers on my flyfishing trips through the years, but haven't gone to many places other than those mentioned either---every summer since about 92-93'.

Yours Truly, Jim in Las Vegas
mutchj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thinking about it

Greetings Jim!

I too am a public school teacher (Business/Computer Science 6-12) and am about twenty years from retirement. I decided to begin Airstreaming in 1995 and have no regrets. If purchasing an adequate tow vehicle and an Airstream doesn't seriously impact your budget and retirement plans, I don't think that you would have any regrets about getting started sooner rather than later.

So far as off-site storage is concerned, there is a tremendous variable in cost depending upon location and whether the storage is outdoors (on a secured lot) or enclosed (within a building or secure shed) - - another variable with some locations is the accessibility of the coach while it is stored. While I have been fortunate to have an RV storage pad beside my home, I know several who have commercial storage where the rental is from $35.00 to as much as $200 per month.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 02:12 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Seize the moment.

Hi Jim. Since your passion is to own an Airstream, why wait another 8 or 12 years?
My advice would be to at least start 'windowshopping' now. You might start by placing a Wanted ad on the many free classified websites just to 'test the water' for your dream A/S. First decide what size will be right for you and how much you can afford to invest.
If you've done your homework on these forums, you'll know the right questions to ask about body, interior, axles, etc.
My bet is that you will find that there is an abundance of really nice Airstreams at affordable prices, especially at this time of year when the supply exceeds the demand.
If you choose wisely, a vintage Airstream can easily be a great investment as well as a great enjoyment.
I've owned 5 of them and I say go for it.

Best of luck.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote