Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2019, 05:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Newfane , Vermont
Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

Let me start this off by stating unequivocally, totally happy with our purchase of a 2019 International Serenity 23fb. This despite some stressful moments at the dealer, including the rig arriving 2 months ahead of when we were told to expect and our readiness to bring her home. No matter, it's all worked out, yet I have one peeve...

We ordered the salsa interior and indeed, the dinette cushions are a beautiful red....but the throw 4 pillows are all in a brown/beige pattern. Not a good look. Hmmm. The 2019 brochure shows lime, red, and an oyster pillow combo. Seems like no big deal right? Easy to find some nice throw pillows on our own.

Yet....I've woken up this morning with irritation over the reaction of the Airstream rep when our sales guy reached out to question the pillow issue. We were essentially told they ran out of the red/lime/oyster pillows so they included what they had when it came off the line. What they had?? Just paid 70 grand for a TT and that's the reaction?

Not a showstopper, just highly irritating and was a slight joy-kill. Feel better already just posting this 'rant'. Thanks for listening!Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_172954.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	333277Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_105754.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	333278Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_105832.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	333279
SerenityVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:32 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Any pictures of the cushions?

We have the salsa upholstery but took away the lime green cushions immediately as they were too slippery and we didn't care for the colour. The reddish ones have an oriental look and are a nice shape and look. The cream are very neutral.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Newfane , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Any pictures of the cushions?

We have the salsa upholstery but took away the lime green cushions immediately as they were too slippery and we didn't care for the colour. The reddish ones have an oriental look and are a nice shape and look. The cream are very neutral.
Nope. Was too irritated to take a picture of cushions. I've designed part of our decor around the green color, including towels, kitchen stuff, sheets, so the brown pillows will be trashed.

It's not so much the actual missing pillows as the 'too bad so sad' reaction.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
We got the salsa and all the pillows. I thought there were too many anyway. They all get tossed on the bed. Maybe the dealer should swap some with another unit for you? My dealer would do that.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Newfane , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
We got the salsa and all the pillows. I thought there were too many anyway. They all get tossed on the bed. Maybe the dealer should swap some with another unit for you? My dealer would do that.
Our unit had to be ordered, no Serenity or other units on the dealer lot that would be suitable.

My point isnt the pillows themselves, I am more than capable of purchasing lime colored pillows, it's the attitude of Airstream themselves....the 'shrug' and stating they are out of the items that their own sales brochures and videos show.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just going to throw this out there......but if wrong coloured pillows irritate you, be prepared for some major therapy.

The trailer will test your resolve by having systems break down at the most inconvenient times; booking the perfect campsites, only to have your neighbours erect a huge tarp tent blocking your view of the senic river will drive you nuts; other drivers cutting in front of you and brake checking; your first scuff or scratch on the Airstream, (God help you if it's a dent)......the list goes on.

Learn to relax and go with the flow fast, or you'll be hating taking trips and camping very quickly. Nothing tests your resolve more, than packing to go camping; you'll pack too much; your husband will forget things like gas cans for the generator; the list goes on.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Everyone has a supervisor, even the “Airstream rep” that shrugged off your concerns.
Call Jackson Center and elevate your complaint. I’m sure they’d be interested to know that one of their “reps” is not very responsive to an unhappy customer.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Everyone has a supervisor, even the “Airstream rep” that shrugged off your concerns.
Call Jackson Center and elevate your complaint. I’m sure they’d be interested to know that one of their “reps” is not very responsive to an unhappy customer.

This ^^^^^^^!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Airstream Contact Info

SerenityVT,
Use this link below to contact the Mothership.
https://www.airstream.com/company/contact/
I'm quite sure they will satisfy you.
Stay tough!

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
Welcome! As you have discovered you will find many opinions here on the Forums. I’m glad you feel better now that you have posted. I won’t put in my two cents as someone already posted what I would do. I am most tickled by both your smiles. Love it! I wish you many happy days and years of enjoyment ahead in your fabulous new Airstream. It’s only just begun. As I say mine have far exceeded the dreams that inspired it. Hope to have the pleasure to see and meet you one day in a campground and enjoy a cold adult beverage by your campfire. Cheers!!!

MsRivet
Not all those who wander are lost.
Living the Dream ... Plan B
The 75 year journey of our Airstream Liner . . .
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60...ey-176336.html
MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
London , Ontario
Escalate your concerns

Hi,

I do believe that the pillows you ordered are an important issue for sure! Air Streams whether old or new are expensive and yes can on a good day cost us $ and patience as some of you have alluded to. What I do believe that concerns you the most is the lack of proper response from the AS rep. I do agree with "JMynes" comments and would encourage you to escalate your concerns to the next level and let them know you expect a response to your concerns. Bringing attention to an employee's bad business dealings or attitude might prevent him/her from causing others the same concerns.

Have a great time with your AS and surround yourself with knowledgeable owners and fun folks! Makes life so much easier

Wayne
winnie1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie1932 View Post
... What I do believe that concerns you the most is the lack of proper response from the AS rep. I do agree with "JMynes" comments and would encourage you to escalate your concerns to the next level and let them know you expect a response to your concerns. Bringing attention to an employee's bad business dealings or attitude might prevent him/her from causing others the same concerns...
I think the OP never talked with an Airstream rep but was merely reporting hearsay from the salesperson at the dealership.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I think the OP never talked with an Airstream rep but was merely reporting hearsay from the salesperson at the dealership.
If that’s the case, I still recommend elevating the complaint to Jackson Center. Let the shame of poor customer service land where it may.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Newfane , Vermont
I appreciate all responses, in particular those who get the 'why'. I am not an easily irritated person, I'm not discouraged and I'm well aware things will go wrong when we actually travel and camp. This isn't that.

There are ways to do things, and ways not to do things. Instead of just throwing some random accessories in the trailer and leaving it to the dealer to explain, how about just not sending any and offer the customer a choice? Heck, I would have probably said no biggie or send me a souvenir tshirt!

I just settled on the TT on Saturday and will be returning for training in a few weeks, so given it is a weekend, I'll deal with the escalation this week.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
. . .
Learn to relax and go with the flow . . .
. . .

Your entire post is very well said, Tony.

Good luck Serenity with getting things adjusted in your favor!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
pillows

That is unacceptable. If Lime pillows is what you paid for.
Lime pillows is what you should get.
Take as high as you have to go to get the pillows you paid for.
You already outfitted you trailer in those colors.
You paid for that Decor.
Jackson Center always has new shipments coming in.
DEMAND THEM !!! Don't take no for an answer.

I have a hard time believing the Jackson Center would send it out that way.
A more likely scenario is that someone at the dealership swapped them out for another customer, and never contacted Jackson Center.
Have you ever considered that you did not receive the trailer being built for you.
Are you 100% SURE that you received a NEW trailer and not someones slightly used/returned trailer.
Did Jackson Center give you a Vin # for your trailer ?? Call them and check.

FWIW My wife and I took most of the pillows out of the trailer.
They were always laying around in the way.
I'd call them to be certain.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear people, I have never seen an Airstream pillow that I think is truly beautiful or high quality. One that I thought would be an exception was the first year Serenity which had one pillow that looked like crewel embroidery (wool yarn on wool fabric) of a bird in a field of flowers. When I saw it at a dealer location, it turned out to be a cheap print on second rate cotton fabric. Would have looked dingy and worn out in a year.

If the size and firmness of the pillows suit you, just buy fabric and replace the covers... the photographs of what you are buying were professionally lighted and perhaps photoshopped to tweak the exact shade of the fabrics... you can and will do better by going to a shop that sells upholstery fabric. Years ago Airstream did an Ocean Breeze interior that had blue and white striped couch fabric and blue palm trees on the curtains... People sitting on that fabric wearing shorts... meh.. Looked like shyte in six months.

Oh yes, and send the bill for the fabric to Airstream. I agree with prior poster who thinks that getting your salsa interior EARLY possibly means that someone else ordered it, then cancelled or changed the order as their trailer was on the assembly line. If they upscaled to a 30 ft Classic, Airstream or a dealer might have gone hunting for you as the buyer they could unload a salsa unit on.

Happy trails none the less!

Paula
Old 02-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Newfane , Vermont
Thanks all for your input. I have spoken to someone at Airstream and the right pillows will be shipped directly to our home.

Also confirmed the unit was built for us, came off the line on the date I was told by the dealer, and is not someone else's trade in. I never really suspected that due to the white film still present on rocker panels and all the tags and other 'new' trailer stuff.

I love lots of throw pillows and our dinette will spend most of the time as a couch. That said, I already have other pillows. It is not about the pillows in particular, it's the situation!

Thanks to all! Glad to have this community.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The fact your "special order" arrived two months early makes me wonder how?
I understand your concern, but all my throw pillows are now in a vacuum bag in a closet at home. I got tired of moving them.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #20
Jo3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake Lanier Area , North Georgia
Top of the line companies should honor their “brochures “. (unless written “pillows will vary from picture”.
Ex: our granddaughter received a “sewing machine with sewing projects included”
It was missing pink fabric for the ballerina skirt. I called 1 800 # and they sent another sewing machine with included sewing projects. They had run out of pink fabric and just shipped out sewing machines for the Christmas rush knowing they all were missing fabric! At least they honored their missing product. Airstream should do “something” to make up for your situation. IMO. It’s a principle of good
business.
Jo3 is offline   Reply With Quote