Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2003, 06:09 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Seems we can't stop with-out someone coming over & wanting to look inside. The best was at a fuel stop when a (young) middle 30's person came around from the back side of the trailer, with a large smile & running his hand caringly over the trailer side. He was surprised that A/S was still being made & then added, with a somewhat small tear, that his folks had an A/S when the kids were young & some of his best memories was from family camping in an A/S.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:46 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Smile I am not the Lone Ranger, after all...

I thought it was just me, for some wierd reason. Even though ours is the painted version (read Argosy), we seem to have a whole lot of new friends that have to look in, out, over, under, poke and prod, etc.
Then they seem amazed when I let them know the trailer is 32 years old, and yes, they still make them, although all the ones now are aluminum colored.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:48 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

We've taken ours out twice. On the first trip we had a lady who was admiring it, although she didn't ask for a tour. On the second trip, nobody mentioned it. We did get some looks on the road and gas station on both trips.

When we had it parked in the driveway, some neighbors that had barely spoken to us before made an excuse to come over. While they were here they just 'happened' to ask about the AS. "Oh, did you get a new trailer? We've always wanted one of those." And of course my husband offers to show them the inside, which is probably the reason they came over in the first place!!
cykakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 07:07 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

For Stefrobrts re: Doggie

Sorry, I could not resist. Is that a picture of an American Eskimo? He/She is adorable!

We had an AE for nine years. Nicky developed a cancerous tumor and we had to have him put down. He was my "boy" and I loved him dearly.
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 10:41 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

NOW I know that it's actually alright to go up and ask for a tour! I just got back from a trip to Utah (about 750 miles each way from SF) and saw three AS trailers on the road (Hwy 80) and one parked in a supermarket parking lot in Winnemuca, NV (see below). I was at the gas station across the street and could see the folks inside and was so tempted to go up and talk to them, but chickened out and instead snapped a picture of them from afar (I'm curious if anyone recognizes themselves and their trailer ... grin).

Xak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2848  
proxak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 12:10 AM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Re: For Stefrobrts re: Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfSong
Sorry, I could not resist. Is that a picture of an American Eskimo? He/She is adorable!

We had an AE for nine years. Nicky developed a cancerous tumor and we had to have him put down. He was my "boy" and I loved him dearly.
That's our little girl Alki, the pesky-eskie. Although the AS hasn't gotten much attention at the campgrounds, nothing breaks the ice like a fluffy, waggy eskimo

Sorry to hear about Nicky. Eskies are known for getting under your skin (in a good way). The national Eskie Rescue was called Heart Bandits for that reason. I don't know what we'll do without Alki someday, I hate to even think about it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 03:38 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

We get the tour thing alot ,the most common comment i get is......how did you get it sooooo shinny.....and its not even polished.I do use Nu-Finish on it and have had great results.I was pulling out of a campsite one time and had this lady come running up and stop us just so she could see inside.Go figure !
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 05:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Looking out for Airstreams

Like proxak I could recount just about every Airstream I saw when on road trip vacations--kind of a vicarious lust. Now we have ours. They will probably be popping up everywhere. One of my fellow co-workers on learning about ours realized she had two neighbors with Airstreams. My wife's job as a homecare RN has her one the streets daily and she is starting to see Airstreams everywhere.

I do get a lot of inquiring comments at work so I posted some pictures there. I find it interesting that a LOT of people have that vicarious interest in Airstreams. The Airstream article that came out in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune newspaper one week after I purchased ours spurred a lot of interest and people clipped the article and brought it in. Kind of made me look like a trendsetter.

As for ours. We haven't taken it anywhere yet and it is parked deep in our woods 200 feet off the street and will not be seen from the street until the leaves fall. Two neighbors have seen it. One I reported before here actually helped me back it up and park it. The other neighbor hasn't said a word.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:04 PM   #29

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Thumbs up

Good one Heidi! She looks great!! And what a great sign to get a picture under - 100% refrigerated air Period perfect!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:28 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up New Attitude

Finally. On the road last weekend a woman pulled up next to us waving furiously. When I looked at her she threw a kiss to the
trailer and mouthed "I love her!"
She was looking pretty cute I must say. Here's a pic.

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:33 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Here she is...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vsmneon66242.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	3006  
Old 09-08-2003, 10:11 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Tucumcari America...

Ahh yes, the Blue Swallow Motel...US 66...Tucumcari, New Mexico, America...and a vintage Airstream....how perfect is that???!!
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:59 AM   #33
Castaway

Appalachia , Pennsylvania
Rt 66

Funny story.

I picked up my new (to me) Airstream in Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Walt Disney.) While the previous owner was showing me how to unhitch etc, the people camping beside me "toured" the inside of my trailer. (They asked if they could before it arrived)

When the lady said to me, "Wow, that's nice." I said something like, "Thanks, but I have never seen it."

You should of seen the look on her face, as she scurried away---LOL. I didn't even mean it rude, I was just speaking the truth.

I generally get LOTS of positive comments on mine. Most people think it is much older from the outside, like 25 years old! They say, "That's the Cadillac."

Here's a photo I took on my way home from the Vintage Rally in La Veta, CO.

This old gas station "Lucille's", is in Hydro, OK, on "Old 66." It is supposedly the first Coconoco (sp?) Gas Station in OK. I sat and talked to the new owners for over an hour. Wonderful people!

BTW The Rally was AWESOME and so was the trip home
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lucilles.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	3010  
Poor Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 04:33 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
My co-workers all love touring my Airstream! I take my Airstream to work on Fridays whenever I have a camping trip planned over a weekend where driving time can be saved by leaving directly from work. There is always a mob of people requesting tours on and off over the course of the day.
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:05 PM   #35
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: Tucumcari America...

Quote:
Originally posted by dscluchfc
Ahh yes, the Blue Swallow Motel...US 66...Tucumcari, New Mexico, America...and a vintage Airstream....how perfect is that???!!
Several years ago, a group of about 6 of us from our banjo band spent a most of a week at the Blue Swallow, playing around town for our keep. Had a great time.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:17 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

The Blue Swallow

They were cleaning the rooms while we were there.
I peaked into one and it had a kitchenette with a pink stove! Would have loved to stay a night or 2 but we were "on the road."

Heidi
Old 09-09-2003, 03:43 PM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Had a pack of Harley riders pass me on the Interstate last year. As they went by they all raised their arms in a clenched fist salute. Was pretty cool.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 04:23 PM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It is pretty rare that someone does not stop by at the campground and ask to see the inside of the Bambi. They think the name and the coach is soooooo cute......

At any rate, my neighbors all love the little thing....who knows, maybe I'd sell it to one of them if I upgrade to the Safari...

Any of you interested in a Bambi???

$24k!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:47 PM   #39

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
At any rate, my neighbors all love the little thing....who knows, maybe I'd sell it to one of them if I upgrade to the Safari...

Any of you interested in a Bambi???

$24k!

Eric
Eric and I talked on the phone for 90 minutes tonight. If his Bambi is not your cup of tea, you can make an offer on my Safari. Any proceeds will go to the Canavera Classic A/S fund.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:06 PM   #40
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
We had a few people come over and say "nice airstream" at the KOA last week. We have had a few cars and truckers wave when passing from time to time. Out MH needs a little love so we've often wondered if they were admiring the MH or thinking..."I can't believe they let that thing on the road".

We're going with the former.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote