Old 08-28-2003, 01:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I have not had a single person that wasn't a friend come by our home and asked. Now I recently had some major work done at the house including a new roof and trees removed. My neighbor accross the street was kind enough to let me park it and my tow rig in her Driveway for a week. She had somebody knock on the door and ask if it was for sale. LOL

I think my hose might be intimidating. I have a big nasty dented up 7ft tall 4x4 that is parked next to the Airstream. I think it scares people away.

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 01:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Originally posted by Pick
I always get a kick out of it, when someone asks "WHEN did they stop making those?"

Then you really shock them, by telling them they are made HERE in OHIO!!!
Need to start telling them 1942 when the war started. When they ask what year it is tell them. When they get confused tell them "Well they started back in 1947 (?) when aluminum was again available".

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 03:39 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I had a fella tell me one time that our AS must have been made in Canada. I asked "why's that"? He said "because the dump valve was on the curb side not the street side".

Gotta admit, he caught me off gaurd with that one.

I just replied "No, Jackson Center, just like it says on the side panel plaque, bill of sale, warrenty, etc".

I think he was skeptical 'till he saw the plaque the next morning and the fact he didn't realize it was a '62 model.

Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 04:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Re: Probably the MOST common statement

Originally posted by dtbw
I have found that virtually everyone thinks that A/S folded. Some think it was back in the 50, others think the 80s, but virtually no one realizes that A/S stayed in continuious production and is very much alive and well.

Maybe we should have a bumper sticker that says "YES!! they still make them"

you mean they really ARE still in business? Jeeeez!!!!!!!!!

actually driving an Airstream motorhome causes all kinds of attention from other motorhomers and every kind of passing car/ truck/ semi. We get high fives, thumbs up, amazed looks, and comments from what year is it? to I didn't know they made a motorhome.... it makes the whole thing that much more fun.

On the other hand out on the road in two years of travel I have seen 3 classic MH's total. More at our mini rally in FLA then in many thousands of miles of travel.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 04:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I think there is some truth to this Tim...

I thought that is why no one asks about mine because its NOT polished...
Ours sat at our house, no fences, all last comments. Except for the half-cocked eyebrow as they looked the other way shaking their heads and the occasional "Wow, that looks like a lot of work..." comments. Now, I admit the outside was a little scroungy looking with the peeling clearcoat and splotchy oxidized skin and the patchwork of "sample polishing" we tried with different products.

This summer we started polishing and we too have met all the neighbors!!! We've lived in the same house for 10 years and barely got a "Hi" from the dog, there is a constant parade of "lookie-loos". Almost to a degree on the weekends that it's hard to keep working without being rude! Also a lot of:

Q: "Did you get a new trailer?"
A: "No, it's the same one..."

And the folks who drive by & stop to check out our' has been fun, watching "the lights come on" as they realize that "that ol' thing?!" was actually a diamond in the rough!

Hang in there...

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 05:54 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
We recently returned from 14 days on the road (our first trip). We saw 2 Airstreams in 1700 miles. Met some nice people, most were not very interested in Airstreams. Gave one tour and went to see theirs (SOB). My wife started to feel like we were the only people who owned one. If I had to quess it was 50% Motorhomes, 30% 5th Wheels, 20% TT, .00001% ! Airstreams Al
ajjohnsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:09 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
Seems we can't stop with-out someone coming over & wanting to look inside. The best was at a fuel stop when a (young) middle 30's person came around from the back side of the trailer, with a large smile & running his hand caringly over the trailer side. He was surprised that A/S was still being made & then added, with a somewhat small tear, that his folks had an A/S when the kids were young & some of his best memories was from family camping in an A/S.
Home of the Wayward Wind

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:46 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Smile I am not the Lone Ranger, after all...

I thought it was just me, for some wierd reason. Even though ours is the painted version (read Argosy), we seem to have a whole lot of new friends that have to look in, out, over, under, poke and prod, etc.
Then they seem amazed when I let them know the trailer is 32 years old, and yes, they still make them, although all the ones now are aluminum colored.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:48 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
We've taken ours out twice. On the first trip we had a lady who was admiring it, although she didn't ask for a tour. On the second trip, nobody mentioned it. We did get some looks on the road and gas station on both trips.

When we had it parked in the driveway, some neighbors that had barely spoken to us before made an excuse to come over. While they were here they just 'happened' to ask about the AS. "Oh, did you get a new trailer? We've always wanted one of those." And of course my husband offers to show them the inside, which is probably the reason they came over in the first place!!
71Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 07:07 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
For Stefrobrts re: Doggie

Sorry, I could not resist. Is that a picture of an American Eskimo? He/She is adorable!

We had an AE for nine years. Nicky developed a cancerous tumor and we had to have him put down. He was my "boy" and I loved him dearly.
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 10:41 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
NOW I know that it's actually alright to go up and ask for a tour! I just got back from a trip to Utah (about 750 miles each way from SF) and saw three AS trailers on the road (Hwy 80) and one parked in a supermarket parking lot in Winnemuca, NV (see below). I was at the gas station across the street and could see the folks inside and was so tempted to go up and talk to them, but chickened out and instead snapped a picture of them from afar (I'm curious if anyone recognizes themselves and their trailer ... grin).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2848  
proxak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 12:10 AM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Re: For Stefrobrts re: Doggie

Originally posted by WolfSong
Sorry, I could not resist. Is that a picture of an American Eskimo? He/She is adorable!

We had an AE for nine years. Nicky developed a cancerous tumor and we had to have him put down. He was my "boy" and I loved him dearly.
That's our little girl Alki, the pesky-eskie. Although the AS hasn't gotten much attention at the campgrounds, nothing breaks the ice like a fluffy, waggy eskimo

Sorry to hear about Nicky. Eskies are known for getting under your skin (in a good way). The national Eskie Rescue was called Heart Bandits for that reason. I don't know what we'll do without Alki someday, I hate to even think about it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 03:38 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member
We get the tour thing alot ,the most common comment i get did you get it sooooo shinny.....and its not even polished.I do use Nu-Finish on it and have had great results.I was pulling out of a campsite one time and had this lady come running up and stop us just so she could see inside.Go figure !
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 05:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Tonka Bay
Looking out for Airstreams

Like proxak I could recount just about every Airstream I saw when on road trip vacations--kind of a vicarious lust. Now we have ours. They will probably be popping up everywhere. One of my fellow co-workers on learning about ours realized she had two neighbors with Airstreams. My wife's job as a homecare RN has her one the streets daily and she is starting to see Airstreams everywhere.

I do get a lot of inquiring comments at work so I posted some pictures there. I find it interesting that a LOT of people have that vicarious interest in Airstreams. The Airstream article that came out in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune newspaper one week after I purchased ours spurred a lot of interest and people clipped the article and brought it in. Kind of made me look like a trendsetter.

As for ours. We haven't taken it anywhere yet and it is parked deep in our woods 200 feet off the street and will not be seen from the street until the leaves fall. Two neighbors have seen it. One I reported before here actually helped me back it up and park it. The other neighbor hasn't said a word.

2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote