Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Theft: what can we do to avoid it?

In light of a threads recently begun here talking about the theft of trailers, I thought I would ask what we can do to avoid it.

In the camp where my AS Henri lives (and has for over 11 years), my nearest neighbour says he never locks his door, ever. His reasoning is that he knows that if anyone is even half-way serious about getting into his TT, they will. If they do, they will wreck his door or a window or two.

Also, if the following data published by Consumer Reports is accurate, the number 2 most often stolen vehicle is one of the most favourite TVs, from what I read on here. Here it is:

__________________________________________________ ________
Grander theft auto: IIHS report shows car snatchers favor upscale rides

Car thieves are either going upscale, have a need to move some stuff, or both. That's one way to interpret the results from the latest Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) report on insurance claims. The new list of vehicles with the largest and smallest claims shows big losses for premium, performance, and cargo-hauling models. (Read: "How to prevent car theft.")

The Cadillac Escalade gets the top spot despite engine immobilizers being standard equipment. Owners of 2007-2009 Escalades are the most likely to lose their rides, with an average loss of $11,934 per claim. One of out every four claims is for $40,000 or more. The biggest, baddest Escalade EXT with four-wheel drive being the most likely model to be ripped off.

Next up is the Ford F-250 Crew Cab pickup, apparently a favorite of thieves with more utilitarian needs.

High-performance cars are next on the IIHS hit parade, with the Infiniti G and Dodge Charger V8 favorites with thieves not in the midst of a home remodeling. According to the IIHS, all of the above are 3.5 times more likely to be stolen than more ordinary vehicles, including older Escalades, and Ford F-250 pickups without a back seat.
__________________________________________________ ________

So, what do you do to discourage theft of your TT or TV, or even both?

Fancy alarm? Loud, vicious dog? Chains?

Let us know...?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I think about theft a good deal and evaluate the risk of theft any time I park.

I have a security chain I use to immobilize the trailer when I am parked in areas of concern. Not proof against theft but enough to deter most theives. I believe the Propride hitch helps a little because most people don't know what it is and it's one more thing they have to figure out. But, in general, I try not to leave the trailer unattended anywhere there's opportunity for it to be stolen. And I have insurance.

I believe there are two key elements to any trailer theft. Both must be present for a theft to occur:

1) Someone with larceny in their hearts must find out where the trailer is.
2) They must have sufficient access for a relatively lengthy period of time without fear of encountering witnesses.

As such an area that is visible from a frequently traveled road or highway, but far enough away that the exact nature of a thief's activities would be difficult to discern, would be the worst case.

I don't worry much about campgrounds with people in them.

I don't worry much about really remote areas where nobody goes, especially if there's only one way in and out.

I've tried to ask questions of the people in Tx whose rigs have been stolen and they don't answer. Perhaps in retrospect they realize they were complacent.

I have had items stolen from cars and in retrospect the warning signs were there. In two cases it was unavoidable and the third, well, if only I'd been paying attention, things would have been different.

So when I park now, traylah or motorcycle or cage or TV, I look around. Who can see me? How much can they see? Where are the cameras? Are there potential witnesses? Are there potential thieves?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49830017.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	114111   Click image for larger version

Name:	49830018.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	114112  

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I say they - or someone ought to set up a trailer as a trap and watch to see what happens.
We are about thirty miles from the Texas border and all this trending jazz has got me wondering who's going to be next?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
All good points Jammer, and the forum needs to establish a place where all this good info can be housed so that all these threads are together. In the case of my trailer - it was too visible from a busy road in the middle of town.
-thieves had access to the fenced area and could look through the fence and study the locks to the gates, the locks on the trailer and the hitch cover lock. Pink is a nice bright color and attracts attention. The guys who stole my trailer could have cut through that lock in a minute. They came prepared. I say "guys" because I don't think it was just some Bubba who wanted a trailer for his deer lease and saw an opportunity.

Also unless you live in a small tight community, the police have more important things to do than to help find a stolen Airstream.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, just the normal locking of things and of course the coupler lock on my trailer, since I myself, move my trailer with a 2" ball while the coupler latch lock is in place. I cannot confirm this, but I was told many years ago that a lot of the tow truck drivers are ex-cons. And in this economy, your neighbor might just think your stuff is getting repossessed. Don't need to be paranoid, or careless either.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Has anyone tried using a wheel boot I wonder if these that I see would work on airstreams?
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Is anyone in the forums currently using a GPS tracking device on their AS?
What brand did they buy, was it easy to have installed and are they happy with it?

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
There was a picture of the boot on a thread a few weeks back on Stolem Airstreams

Smart Tracker - Advanced GPS Vehicle Recovery System by RMTracking

Gps tracking system under $200

Haven't bought one but the add looks good, plus you pay for tracking only when you need it, no monthly fee.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Haiku for the wicked...

A curse upon thieves
who steal our silver trailers
Ghastly woe descends.
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Pflugerville , Texas
Some help my be on the way.

Automated License Plate Recognition seems to be the real deal. Perhaps one should remove their license plate if you are going to be in one place for a while. At least the bad guys would have to come up with a plate, hopefully stolen. The other thing is to check that none of your plates are missing, plate theft is on the rise because of the new technology. And of course report a missing plate a quick as possible.
Regards
Bill

Old 10-28-2010, 05:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
They may be watching the forum (among others)..everybody is busy writing about where they are, when they are going,what they are doing,where their AS is...a great place to stalk.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Rallys dates and places are always posted on this forum. Maybe somebody is cruising these rallys and checking out the trailers. They maybe following them home and planning a crime to steal a particular trailer.

I am going to try remember not to post to much information anymore about where I am going and where my trailer will be. I do have my town posted but not my address. I don't think I will post where I am going anymore either.

Brian
Old 10-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Just a quick note on the (only turn on when you need it unit). I talked to some of the salesmen about them. Seems that sometime they do not activate when you need them to. Would be better to have an Asset Protection Unit. It stays on and runs off your battery or its own battery with optional battery pack. reports 4 time a day - which you can look at and you can set up virtual fences - if it travels pass the fence - you get notified.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #14
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Pink is a nice bright color and attracts attention. The guys who stole my trailer could have cut through that lock in a minute. They came prepared. I say "guys" because I don't think it was just some Bubba who wanted a trailer for his deer lease and saw an opportunity.
It's actually red but the scan changed the color. It has to be prominent or I'll forget it's there one of these days. The place that makes the security chain also has black covers for them, but it didn't seem wise.

Any lock will fall quickly to people who understand metalworking and have an angle grinder or cutting torch in their bag of tricks and are willing to draw that much attention to themselves.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
GPS Smart Tracker

Smart Tracker - Advanced GPS Vehicle Recovery System by RMTracking

I have one of these units on order and will update this forum after I install it.....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
These gps units sound good, but I imagine they could be found and disarmed (by yet another electronic gizmo?)- I would encourage everybody to get replacement-value insurance on their rigs just in case the worst happens. I'm not sure which company consistently pays fair claims on things like this- worth looking into. I have State Farm and I think I pay less than $100 a year for comprehensive insurance, including theft. Generally, I don't like paying insurance bills but this one I don't mind.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
If they are watching/stalking...thieves....please be aware Texas has a under the cover of darkness law.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
If they are watching/stalking...thieves....please be aware Texas has a under the cover of darkness law.

Shane
Which is what?
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
In Texas, deadly force is justified in the protection of property if:

Quote:
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Shane correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the problem at hand is one of trailers being stolen despite their owners' presence.

Tags
theft