Old 10-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #57

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I think that the big red WBCCI numbers my Airstream contribute to Lucy's undesirability to a potential thief. The big red numbers are large and not quickly removable. They are much more noticeable and significant than any license tag. Even though the big red numbers do not rule out theft, I believe they are a help.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Thumbs down

I use a Reese coupler lock and face the tongue in towards the garage so that it would be much harder to hook a tow vehicle up to it. It currently also has two terrible tires and a rotten frame/tongue, so if anyone takes it, they might only get a block or two before it breaks! Once repaired, I won't intend to do much differently.

I think it is terrible to have to worry about such thefts. The original writer of this thread said (I believe I remember) that he uses a coupler lock and took the tires/wheels off. What else could he do?

Dad has had big Airstreams my whole life and never took any precautions. All went fine for thirty plus years.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
I think the red numbers are another way to identify a trailer especially newer ones that don't have marks, dents or identifiers on them. Rigging the umbilical cord may deter a thief some but say they just don't plug it in so the brakes don't lock up. And say that cops then pull them over. But since the trailer hasn't yet been reported stolen they can come up with any alibi, after all this is one of those old Airstreams, we're just moving it to work on the lights and get her street legal.

I think the best solution is a wheel boot and a GPS that reports when it moves outside of a boundary.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
As a backup to the insurance that I finally got, the locks that I know won't stop any pros, the GPS I'm determined to get, I even went around to the neighbors in my trailer park and handed out my card with my cell number on it with instructions to call me if they if they hear the slightest commotion over at my trailer if my car is not there, I don't care what time it is........

Carol
Old 11-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
carol, train the bear to guard the trailer!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #62
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Jammer though I respect your reasoning, you haven't had a trailer stolen. You don't just put it out of your mind. Everywhere you drive you are always watching, as if you could spot your trailer somewhere. And insurance may cover the replacement cost, but the personal items in the trailer,and the work you do in restoration fixing and upgrading go beyond money. Then there's the anger you feel at the thieves and a desire to see justice served, whether Texas style or not.
No but I've been through other losses.

A fact to consider, is that recovering the trailer does not eliminate the loss. It is rare for stolen goods to be recovered in the same condition they were in when stolen, and when insurance is involved, the financial ramifications are often no better when recovering a damaged trailer than they are with no recovery at all.

Another facet of the problem, is that I have on two occasions been falsely accused of having a stolen Jeep by people who were hellbent on recovering one. One situation was particularly awkward and potentially dangerous. Stuff of a particular era tends to look the same, have dents in the same spots, have some of the same customizations, and people forget that.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #63
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
A sign may help.
While I'm guessing that was at least partially tongue in cheek, I'm not going to shoot somebody over a trailer and I don't think that, when it comes right down to it, anyone else on the forums would either.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Wait a minute.... If I was out there and caught someone stealing my trailer?
Right between the eyes, honey...
Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Dreams.

Hi, I think we all may have had dreams about what we would do if we caught some thief red handed. But part of life is that we do sleep sometimes and go places and leave things unattended; So that opportunity might be rare or never. I don't plan on sitting next to my trailer with a loaded shot gun waiting for something to happen. We can become our own prisoner.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:22 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
While I'm guessing that was at least partially tongue in cheek, I'm not going to shoot somebody over a trailer and I don't think that, when it comes right down to it, anyone else on the forums would either.
Wouldn't want to live out my life remembering shooting someone over a trailer theft....
Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
I would be more afraid that the trailer thieves would be the first to shoot as they live a live of crime.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Gps

I received my "Smart Tracker" Yesterday.

Smart Tracker - Advanced GPS Vehicle Recovery System by RMTracking

It is very discreet in size and the instructions for installation are simple. One wire for 12v and 1 wire to ground (just like a light). It has an internal battery back up in case some one cuts the battery power. (if power is cut the unit sends out an email alert). It also as a small round disc antenna w/ cable that allows for creative and hidden placement. After I determined placement it only took 15 min. to install. Once installed I logged into "Smart Tracker" to manage my account. I have several options - 1. Activate only when needed (no monthly fee pay as you go) 2. Ongoing tracking with fence (monthly fee). There are many option levels that cover most situations. The website and maps that show the tracking are very impressive.

We do carry replacement insurance (agreed value) but now feel like we would have a good chance of recovering our labor of love.....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
That looks like a pretty neat gadget. I wonder if it would be able to be "jammed" by yet another device, similar to a radar detector for your car? It seems thieves are pretty good at getting a step ahead of deterrents if it's something they really want.
The idea of re-wiring the plug-in for the umbilical to activate trailer brakes if a thief plugs in a standard umbilical is a clever idea too, but could be thwarted with the usual temporary brake/turn-light set-up, bypassing the clever re-wiring. Professional thieves are not dumb, and probably even like the occassional challenge to make their "job" more interesting. Get some insurance for your rig just in case.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Texas Rules...I think you could still be hung for an old oak for stealing a horse.
Thanks everyone for all you good ideas to keep our Airstreams somewhat safer.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
theft