Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2003, 12:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
The South in March/April?

I'm not trying to compete with Uwe and you people going the MX in March but was wondering if any of you would consider a caravan from the SW/W to Savannah & Charleston--sorta a "U" I-10 going east and return on something "higher" on the map with for sure stops in Nashville and Memphis.

Having never been east of El Paso or south of Virginia Beach that "quadrant" seems like fun to explore. Open for suggestions about everything.....would really like company.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 02:27 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We're planning a spring trip to visit family in Oklahoma. I think we might go down I5 to So Cal and catch as much of Route 66 as possible on the way out to Oklahoma. We haven't decided the return route yet until I do a little more research on the weather/driving conditions, but I was thinking of coming home through CO, UT, ID. Anyway, if you get something planned and we can join you for a portion of the trip it would be great to meet up with some other forum members on the road.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 02:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I wish you were going east on I-10, Tucson, El Paso, Ozona, San Antonio, Lafayette, New Orleans......then you could turn north.

We would like to travel with you also.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:14 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Well, I'm still figuring out the route, but a visit to Pheonix is in order along the way, because we have friends there to visit as well. They'd never forgive us if we came that close and didn't stop to say hello!

Old 12-13-2003, 05:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

We had been talking about going to North Carolina in March or April. Since it is our first long journey, it might be nice to link up along the way. Please keep us informed.
Windspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 06:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

What kind of things are you interested in ??

For me a trip to Nashville requires a stop at Greuns Guitar shop, Tooties Orchid Lounge :} Maybe CW and the Harley shop. You won't see many country stars in town, they are either on the road or in Branson Mo The Hall of Fame is interesting. And you MUST go to the Grand Ole Opery.

Memphis is home to Graceland, the Pink Palace musium, Beal Street with BB Kings Club & the Rum Boogie Cafe, National Civil rights Museum, and the Ornimential Metal museum. Great Harley shop, and nice retail shopping on the east side of the city. Downtown is no place for a MH after dark unless you're staying at the Peabody Hotel, then it's fun.

Don't forget OK City, Cowboy Hall of Fame, Avaitation Museum, several western Art galleries, etc. Brick Town has some nice resturants.

You MUST visit the site of the OK City bombing, it's just a few blocks off I-40, You WILL be moved. I've seen bikers with tears on their cheeks.

Hope this Helps
Don
Old 12-13-2003, 09:51 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Stef,
I 40 ( old Rte 66) is in very bad condition after you leave NM. I would NOT pull my trailer that way. It has a lot of road work going on, and is very crowded with 18wheelers.
I drove to Nashville last year, and it was the worst fwy in recent memory. I was not towing, the whole time thinking "man am I glad I'm not towing".
Old 12-13-2003, 11:38 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Thanks, uwe, that's good to know. I'll plan to make a limited visit to old 66 then. The goal is to get to OK and back in one piece, I just figured 66 was another thing to be sure to see along the way.

Once we get ot OKC we have friends who are going to show us around and take us up to Tulsa to see the old family home. We're very excited about the whole thing, we haven't been to that part of the country at all.

Old 12-14-2003, 10:05 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Stef,
We were in Albuquerque in October and took I-40 to Oklahoma City where we picked up I-44 to tulsa and on through Missouri.
I did not find the route a problem with the trailer, truck traffic no worse than most interstates and very little construction with no delays. Along the route there are several exits marked with route 66 attractions or sections of the old road. Take old 66 through Tucumcari, several old motels and gas stations, easy off and back on I-40. Nice museum in Clinton Ok. about 3/4 mile off I-40. Pick up map at museum and use 66 from Oklahomma City to Tulsa. Old road is still used. Many other spots along the way. Large web ring for Route 66 with lists by state. Enjoy your trip.
Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Hit Ashville NC o the way. The Biltmore house is well worth the stop and tour. It can be done in one day but 2 would be easier. Unfortunatly the gardens will not be in Bloom that time of year and they are incredible!

Be sure to wear your walking shoes. If you take the Guided tour it's going to be 8 HOUR on your feet to give you an idea of how big the place is......This was a private residence at one time LOL.

Weather is still flaky that time of year. One of the worst snow storms I remember here in Atlanta was in March. I also remember some T-shirt warm March day's. Mid April I'm usualy taking the hard top off the truck and putting on the soft top for the year. It's warm enough to handle no top with a warm Jacket with a tall collar.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

I drove I-40 from about Santa Rosa, N.M. to Ok city twice last summer, and it is now in excellent shape. The worst problem areas seem to have been the stretch through Arkansas. Hwever, I confess I am not at all current on the condition from Memphis east. I drove the section from Ft. Smith to Clarksville about a month ago and it is now has brand new pavement. There is still a lot of work going on east of there and the old pavement (was?) is unspeakably bad.

At Ok City, I-40 goes well south of the old Route 66. I-44 roughly parallels it to St. Louis, through Tulsa, Joplin, Springfield, and Rolla. The remaining pieces of the old road vary considerably in quality. You can drive very long sections of Route 66 without ever getting on the interstate, and it can be a lot more interesting. If you decide to come up to Missouri, let me know and I'll suggest some places to see and stay.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 02:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Biltmore Mansion

59toaster, I can endorse that. Two years ago I got the deluxe tour through all the back rooms, unrestored rooms and even the attic. The Biltmore is not quite snugged away from civilization now, but when it was built, it was built out in the middle of nowhere. It was quite a feat.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 09:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
bbbbbiltmore...

i took the biltmore tour in the early 80's....i was overcome by the largesse....saying this was toooo much..too much....by the end of the tour i was saying.....yes...yes...i can dig it..i can live this way.... .. . for you energy maniacs...the fireplaces were somewhere around 100...the oil burner in the boiler ran at 35 g.p.h......i recomend this tour...its worth whatever they are charging now and i wont say anything more to spoil it for anyone that wants to go there....it is most awesome....and part of our history......btw... they were shootin Being There when i went through...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:19 AM   #14
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
The South in March/April?

If you are going to stop in Asheville, don't forget about Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Townsend area. There is an Airstream campground in Townsend called Little River Village right on the river. There is another nice campground called Tuckaleechee. Both can be accessed on the web. Lots of shopping at outlet malls, amusement parks, and shows to see. Then if you are going down to Charleston or Savannah from Asheville, don't forget to stop in Cherokee, NC. If you come through Chattanooga, let me know. Would love to hook up with you!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:47 AM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
We drove I-40 from Eastern NC to Holbrook, AZ this past September, the worst stretch was from just east of Little Rock, AR to just west of it. The other really rough stuff was coming thru Memphis, TN. There are the usual local ramp rebuildings going on here and there, but for the most part is was smooth driving. If you get to NC/SC area give us a heads up, we should be done with the bulk of the work on our AS by mid Febuary and would love the chance to hook up for a weekend somewhere. BTW Biltmore is worth it! We usually go every year right after Christmas while the decorations are still up, then again in the spring when the gardens are in bloom.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote