Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2003, 04:42 AM   #1
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
The Rape of the Silver Belle - Conclusion

Well, it has taken a while to serve our time in Bed Pan Alley and we are now finally back out for duty, so we can relate the tale of the Rape of the Silver Belle.
During Christmas Week, of all times, Some slithery slimey gutless knights of the night broke into Silver Belle - Violently, prizzinbg the main door and spring door open and thenb brutally bending both out at 45 degrees in order th break the locks and gain access to her innards. They made off with a great deal of loot and good - some priceless, most valuable TV Combo Brand New Never used. Stereo, instruments, tools, one of kind Ceramic Bear Lamp (made by Winn0 rugs towls, recorder clocks bionocks,
and more. We felt so brutalized and were helpless. Our Insurnace would only cover the exterior damage and or loss.
The only place in the (world) that the doors can be repaired is at the Factory in Ohio - Weather has been so bac that until now (March 10th) we have not been able to get the rrepairs accomplished. Also being inm hospital (Ithink the shock of the rape contributed in part to hospitalization) and all the deep snow also delay! BUT We are scheduled into factory on 13th for the repairs finally. Needless to say, we changed our storage locactio.
Yes, Silver Belle is still up for sale, but we couldnt say much untiol we were able to get her fixed. We will be travelling Quckly in 2003. Our first trip week after next is the Factory - Then down to Tifton, Georgia to attend the 60th Reunion of my l953 ABAC Class. and so forth. We really missed being in and using our dearly beloved motor home and plan to travel as extensively as we can again this year. Hi to everyone - really missed the forums,
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 05:24 AM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Dr Joe and Winn,
My deepest sympathy for your loss and the pain you must have experienced over such a ruthless act. I did admire your precise characterization of the perpetrators (Some slithery slimey gutless knights of the night).
Have you checked wih your home owners insurance for the loss of content?
All the best to you and Silver Belle!
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 05:36 AM   #3
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Yes Peter - our home owners insurance has all kinds of cute littleexclusion clauses - like "must be installed by factory, etc", must know model number etc. etc., bottom line - practically no use. I will say that Airstream is wonderful and have quoted us a fabulous repair estimate (even though they are probably the only people in the country that can fix the doors). Take care and God Bless,
Old 03-01-2003, 07:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Dr Joe~

We're sadden for your loss and, the brutal invasion of your Silver Belle.
More importantly,
"How are you doing?"
Are you okay?
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 08:50 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

The 60th Anniversary of your 1953 ABAC class? Something there doesn't add up , Doc!
Seriously, sorry about the damage to your MH.
As for ABAC, my dad was the men's BB coach for 20 years, just retired a couple of seasons ago. My grandfather went there on a football scholarship back in the late 30's I guess (different name then, Georgia Normal College for Men or something?) I still have his leather helmet. After running out of elgibility, he transferred to Stetson to play some more (I think the rules were different!) He eventually was found out and he went into coaching as well.
Anyway had to comment when I saw Tifton and ABAC.
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 08:53 AM   #6
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Thank you for your kind expressions of sympathy and compassion.
Yes, we both took it very hjard - expecially since we had worked so hard to bring SB up to 100% and enjoyed her so much.
We are now OK - There is no doubt that the rape played a role in my hospitalization. I suffered a bit of heart failure and depression - the depression was more frightening than the heart failure to me. But we are now looking forward to the trip to Ohio and then to Georgia and We'll be making some other short trips during the year (I sincerely hope) We have her half-heartedly up for sale and really don't give a damn if it doesn't sell because it is worth every cent we are asking. I just saw where another South Carolinian bought a 345, and like us had to spend several thousands of dollars getting it into useablce condition. Belle is more than useable - She is in supurb condition - I know we will suffer sellers remorse if someone shoujld really step up to the plate and buy here away from us. I only wish I were younger and more healthy. I would then dream of selling her. Take care and God Bless - again - appreciate your sentiments,
Dr Joe and Winn
Old 03-01-2003, 09:40 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Dr Joe and Winn,

Really sorry to hear about what the bottom feeders did to Silver Belle.

We have a log cabin in the UP of Michigan and the bottom feeders kept breaking into it.

They would kick the door very, very hard several times and it would fly open. I got pissed after the second time and installed an upgrade to the striker plate and also screwed heavy duty long screws into the actual logs themselves.

The next time they came a kickn, they dented the heck out of the door, but it did not open. So I found around back that they tried to actually burn it down. There were some char marks. :-(.

So I have a unique perspective of what you've been through.

The violated feeling passes and all eventually gets back to normal............

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 10:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I don't suppose they caught the *#%!$ culprits? Sorry to hear of your loss, both to your beloved MH & health...hang in there!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 08:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Violated

Dr. Joe and Winn,
Only an Airsteam owner could possibly understand the hurt that you have felt when Silver Belle was violated so brutally. It is a long trip from TN. to Ohio and that would be the only place I would want any sheetmetal work done, not to mention a door and door frame. I worry about my pride and joy because I know that there are scum suckers out there who could care less about my coach, only what is inside and what they can get for it. I feel your pain as if Silver Belle were my own. I know you will eventually get over the pain but will always wonder what will come next. As my dad once told me, "Don't let the ba- - ards get you down!"

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 05:20 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Dr Joe, Winn, and Silver Belle -

So very sorry to hear of your break-in nightmare. I hope SB is back in fighting form soon, and that you get to enjoy some more time on the road with her before (if) you sell her. I enjoyed reading your posts about Silver Belle in the past, as you were working on bringing her back into shape and so was saddened to read she had been so brutally attacked. What in the world is wrong with some people??

Chin up, better times ahead - remember what goes around comes around and they are sure to get theirs in the end!!

:-)
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:01 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

I hate to hear that.

I have my own theory on this. I never, and I mean never leave my Avion locked, unless I am in it. I have come to the conclussion that I would rather lose what is inside than have to face the problem of having my beloved trailer damaged like that.

I look at it this way, if someone wants to get it, they are going to get in.

I will say it again, this is what I have decided to do and is not what I recomend for everyone. I do take precautions not to leave anything of real value in the trailer.

It is a shame that we have to worry about thing like this, but this is the way the world is today
Old 03-13-2003, 07:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I too am saddend by your experience. It should be a reminder to all that you can never let your guard down. When I first got my Airstream and the door lock didn't work we never left for any distance at the campsite until i got that lock working. Even now I have small wooden dowels I use as an extra precaution against window prying.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:59 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

winner

This is indeed one of the most terrible things that can happen to your A/S. The only thing worse than that would be wrecking the whole thing. I indeed would be very disappointed had it happened my A/S. No segment of our society is immune from crime, not even rural communities.