Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The RV Show Report Thread

The Chilliwack Humdinger RV Show and Sale - April 20 - 22, 2012 (Chilliwack, British Columbia).
The Chilliwack RV Show, its a Humdinger of an RV Sale!

Impressions: Attended on the Sunday. Not hugely attended as the photo below shows. The last RV show I attended was the Early Bird RV Show/Sale in February of 2010 at the Abbotsford Tradex. That one was very well attended. I could hardly get into the parking lot!

Many people in Chilliwack attend church on Sunday, so that probably was one reason. Are people also spooked over the higher gas prices? No doubt. Chilliwack is also farther away from a major urban centre - just does not attract as many as Abbotsford. If one has already bought, how many RV shows can one attend anyways?

Saw a few SOLD signs; one really wonders if this is just a sales ploy, especially when another sign like "WE HAVE ONE LEFT!" is beside it. But a few people are buying. The couple sitting across from me in the food court had settled on a Mercedes Sprinter-type van. ($140,000.)

I attended the seminar on leaks and learned how the Seal Tech machine works. Seminar was not well attended.

No Airstreams were there; I expected that. Not as many high-end Class A's as the Abbotsford show either. But I had to snoop through many types of units. One thing that made me appreciate the Airstream is ease of accessibility. Three low steps and you're in. Some of the Fifth Wheels and Class A's - some mountaineering skills would come in handy. How do the old and/or physically challenged get in or out?? They obviously can't. A definite deterrent when one is looking for a "retirement RV"- unless it's a toy hauler and they can utilize the ramp. Airstream has a huge advantage in that department.

The sale also had a few non-dealer booths (RV parks etc.) but only a fraction compared to Abbotsford.

Overall impression: Even though Airstream has its problems, everytime I check out these shows, I am even more satisfied with my decision to go with Airstream. As to the Humdinger Show - it was nothing exceptional - other than the free parking!

Abbotsford is the better show, especially for those who have already purchased; more booths devoted to RV parks, RV-related products, better seminars etc.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Flyatnight.......... looks empty there. I would have thought a show in the spring would have been well attended. You're right some of those big 5th wheels need either ramps or electric lifts. I didn't realize how large and tall they are until one pulled in next to us. Made us feel small and good that we wern't saddled down with all of that weight.
Dan
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Hi dan. Yes, compared to the big attendance at the Spring 2010 show in Abbotsford, the attendance was disappointing.

Could be due to those factors I wrote about. However, when I left (about 2 pm) there were more cars in the parking lot.

Some of those fifth-wheels are ridiculous in height and weight! You really appreciate the Airstream managability after looking up....way up! (To say nothing of the trying to get in factor). I don't have to go to the gym after those RV shows. I've already done the stair climber!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I've only been to one RV show and that was in Toronto, January 2011. I had no idea that it would be so well attended; packed to the point of being uncomfortable. We'd already signed on the dotted line for our Airstream at the point but it was fascinating to look at what else is out there. Big and heavy, sure, but they had some motor homes that were stuffed full of expensive looking gadgets. Big flats screen TVs, big white leather sofas and, get this, a washer/drier! I didn't even bother to look at the price as those things probably cost way more than our house. There was nothing there, other than the Airstreams, that I'd have even remotely considered as an alternative.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Nice show report, though, Fly. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"One thing that made me appreciate the Airstream is ease of accessibility. Three low steps and you're in. Some of the Fifth Wheels and Class A's - some mountaineering skills would come in handy. How do the old and/or physically challenged get in or out??"

That is the big selling point for an Airstream for us. Last fall we visited the Rally in Branson especially for the Open House. Jo Ann had not yet had her foot surgery, so walking and climbing steps was painful. She was able to go in several of the coaches, and could stick her head in the rest. When we were at the RV show a few weeks earlier she couldn't get into, or even look in, quite a few 5'ers. She was able to get into the one motor home that was there (we really just wanted to see what something that expensive was like).

Now that she has had her surgery, we're going to try some of those other coaches again, just to see if she can get in and out.

BTW, when we went to the Springfield show this spring, the parking lot was full, but the building was pretty empty. It looked like each person in the building must have come in his or her own vehicle. There were a few "SOLD" signs, but not many. No Airstreams (again).
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
My wife and I went to the Kansas City RV show the end of January 2012.. The floor was packed with trailers and the number of people was about 1/2 of other years we went,. Toured all of the brands and models and one of our last stop was 2 Airstreams..

All I can say is it gave us the push again to go forward with our search for a Airstream.. Of all the SOB,, stick and staple wonders the only trailer we were impress with was the Airstream when we left.. I guess it would be to compare a log cabin with wheels to a space station on wheels..

My wife commented on our 300 mile trip home that the smell of all the SOB,, were the same.. Cheap plywood,, plastic and vinyl.. The Airstream had no smell other than just being fresh inside.. Ok,, the real leather chairs did have a nice odor..

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
"One thing that made me appreciate the Airstream is ease of accessibility. Three low steps and you're in. Some of the Fifth Wheels and Class A's - some mountaineering skills would come in handy. How do the old and/or physically challenged get in or out??"

That is the big selling point for an Airstream for us. Last fall we visited the Rally in Branson especially for the Open House. Jo Ann had not yet had her foot surgery, so walking and climbing steps was painful. She was able to go in several of the coaches, and could stick her head in the rest. When we were at the RV show a few weeks earlier she couldn't get into, or even look in, quite a few 5'ers. She was able to get into the one motor home that was there (we really just wanted to see what something that expensive was like).
It's not just accessibility; that low center of gravity and low profile are things that make Airstreams such easy trailers to tow.