Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
The psychology of a trucker and driving techniques

I'd like to preface this post with the statement: I am a rookie having just done my first trip to pick up our airstream. It was a long one, 1200 miles from Orlando to New Jersey. For the most part it was very smooth, however the scariest element of the trip was dealing with all the trucks and their different driving styles.

Some of the truckers were courteous, in control and not threatening in anyway. others seem to be trying to run us off the road.

I was constantly checking my rearview mirror's in anticipation of oncoming trucks and other passing vehicles. I was doing my best to be aware the entire time. I found that if I knew a truck was coming I was better prepared to deal with these road Giants approaching us at different speeds.

Generally I could tell if a truck might challenge me in some way. If they appeared to be approaching very fast in the rearview I knew that it was going to rock my nerves a bit. Thankfully our anti-sway weight distribution system helped out a ton.

Trucks that were approaching me aggressively were the ones that shook me up the most some of them were not tracking straight and even drifted into my lane a little bit which I found incredibly unnerving with my entire family in the car.

I am not advising anybody to do this as I have no experience, but I did quickly learned that if I stood my ground on the left side of my lane, they would give me more room as they passed.

I assume they looked at me like someone with an airstream having no idea what he was doing in giving me a wide berth. When I did nothing and stayed in the middle of my lane they would use I'll be available real estate which was causing me a lot of stress.

I am just wondering if any of you have techniques in dealing with the trucks and staying safe on the road. I know that they have a right to be there and I'm not suggesting otherwise but they were definitely the most dangerous element of the trip minus the one guy in a cutlass sierra who was driving his car while texting with both hands all the while with a Close to flat tire.

Driving the airstream with your family in the car is a great responsibility and requires you being completely present at all times. Outside trucks I'd say it was an amazing experience while we towed. Any insight or advice on my observations is welcomed. I'd love to hear how you guys handle the trucks and bad drivers.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have never been intimidated by the truck. Many are however. I have noticed that the new air damns on many semi trucks now create a strong outward push.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
could be more about your speed than your rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Generally I could tell if a truck might challenge me in some way. If they appeared to be approaching very fast in the rearview I knew that it was going to rock my nerves a bit.

Trucks that were approaching me aggressively were the ones that shook me up the most some of them were not tracking straight and even drifted into my lane a little bit

I did quickly learned that if I stood my ground on the left side of my lane, they would give me more room as they passed.

I am just wondering if any of you have techniques in dealing with the trucks and staying safe on the road.

Any insight or advice on my observations is welcomed. I'd love to hear how you guys handle the trucks and bad drivers.
Congratulations - you have been through the fire!

First, I assume you were on I95. 95 is a madhouse - insane - from Mass to Miami. Many people going too slow in all lanes. Many others going too fast in any lane they can find to jump into. I'll tell you from hundreds of trips on it up and down the east coast, I have never had a relaxing drive.

Overall in the last few years I have been noticing trucks running fairly close to the speed limit on interstates. Trucks are generally staying to the right except to pass - a rule all of us should observe as often as possible.

But if there is a 15 or 20mph difference between your speed and a big rig - getting around you on a fast crowded road is not necessary going to be a polite maneuver.

It sounds from your post, that you may have been running in the right hand lane significantly slower than traffic. Not always a good thing on a crowded road like 95 because those trucks may come up on you fast and not have a an opportunity to get in the left lane to pass. They may try to get over but then have to hit the brakes - that may what you sense as aggressive.

It may be easier for them to pass if you are cruising in left lane but running slow in the left lane will cause many other problems for everyone.

So I would say, stay right except to pass and when you do have to pass, step on it and get back in the right lane as fast as you safely can.

Next I would say that on a road like 95, try to keep up with the flow of traffic. On 95 that probably means cruising at 70mph. I do not think I would pull our rig on I95 at less than 65mph - and will run up to 70 or 75mph if need be.

When I am not in the mood to run fast and deal with that sort of race track, I generally take a different route.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Yes, ran anywhere from 60-65 mostly in the right hand lane. I really wanted to explore 77 and 85, but was warned this was not going to be a good drive for my first go. Overall, I did have a nice drive. Washington wasn't even that bad. I found rt4 in Orlando to be awful but slowing down in tight situations was helpful for me.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I like to keep an eye on what's coming up behind me. If a semi is coming around, I try to give it as much room as I safely can. That way, IF there is any push from it, it'll be lessened. One thing I love about AS's and my Avion is that they don't get sucked in to the trucks like a slab-sided trailer does, and my Avion 34W tracks very well with six wheels under it..
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I generally keep my speed at slightly under the speed limit to as much as 5 to 7 mph under the limit (in the right lane of course.) So far, no trucker (or any other motorist) has ever bothered me. I understand that I-95 is a zoo however and I have not had the pleasure of driving that one yet. :P
Old 11-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
In three years of towing I've only encountered two truckers that I perceived as driving dangerously and curiously both occurred on the same downgrade on I-40 eastbound into Nashville. There's a curve about halfway down and despite that I was doing 60 in the right lane both of these 18 wheelers barreled down and pulled wide at the last moment. Interestingly these happened a year apart. I have noticed that there are some drivers out there who seem to be Johnny come latelies to the profession and don't exhibit the traditional courtesy of directional lights and saying thanks for the space to pull back into the right lane. But that's a very small number of drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
We need trucks, they transport almost everything we need and use, courteous truckers big thanks. But here's the rub. I see a big difference between OTR drivers and container jockeys. The container rigs that I see daily on I95 cut drivers off, tailgate and leave a bunch of gators on the road. And your trucks in general look to be one step ahead of the scrap pile.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
My approach is a Hensley or Propride hitch for excellent control plus maintaining a road speeds equal or better than most of the trucks.

The only time I won't do this is when road conditions are bad due to weather. I slow down to a speed I feel comfortable and safe with and just let the trucks pass me and be on their way! Either many of them are they are much better drivers than me as I suppose they should be - or maybe in some cases just more foolhardy.

Also I try hard to be on the road only during daylight hours.

If my driving day has to be longer, then I prefer to set out early in the morning in the dark in light traffic rather than finish the day's drive in darkness combined with heavier traffic and me being tired. Of course an early start in the dark means keeping a sharp eye for deer, depending on location

So far this has worked for me and I don't feel at all intimidated on the interstates.

I will admit though that there is one slight exception! I am not really happy driving on interstates through major cities with complex road systems, heavy traffic, and people merging left and right when I don't know the area.

In those situations. I really am thankful for GPS which is a great boon and usually helps me set up on the correct side of the road well in advance if I am coming up to an exit on the left or right I need to take rather than having to cut over several lanes of high speed traffic at the last moment!

If ever I do find myself on the wrong side of he road for an exit thougI will never try to rectify this at the last minute - way too dangerous in my view.

Instead, despite my wife shouting at me (!), I just calmly take the wrong road and let the GPS sort things out and get me back on track even if it costs me extra time.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Interesting choice of terms - "approaching me aggressively." Was he/she waving an arm out the window, flashing head lights, or using some other means of communication? The actions you describe once alongside you could be a tired or inattentive driver, possibly one on a cell phone, or one whose truck has a sloppy steering mechanism.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I've only had one bad incident with a semi in my entire forty-year driving career, on I-20 between Shreveport and Dallas. The semi was a tanker with a load of fuel for Love's Country Stores.

The guy welded himself four feet from my rear bumper, and stayed that close for eighteen miles despite ample opportunities to go around; traffic was relatively light that day. Every time I changed lanes, he changed lanes. Every time I sped up, he sped up. Every time I slowed down, he slowed down. That persisted until I finally took an exit that he didn't.

As soon as I got to a good stopping point with WiFi, I got out my laptop and fired off an e-mail to the company complaining about the driver. Never got any acknowledgement, and that jerk is probably still out there playing stupid semi games with other drivers. And to this day I've boycotted Love's Country Stores. I'd rather be stranded than buy fuel or anything else from them.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:44 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I've only had one bad incident with a semi in my entire forty-year driving career, on I-20 between Shreveport and Dallas. The semi was a tanker with a load of fuel for Love's Country Stores.

The guy welded himself four feet from my rear bumper, and stayed that close for eighteen miles despite ample opportunities to go around; traffic was relatively light that day. Every time I changed lanes, he changed lanes. Every time I sped up, he sped up. Every time I slowed down, he slowed down. That persisted until I finally took an exit that he didn't.

As soon as I got to a good stopping point with WiFi, I got out my laptop and fired off an e-mail to the company complaining about the driver. Never got any acknowledgement, and that jerk is probably still out there playing stupid semi games with other drivers. And to this day I've boycotted Love's Country Stores. I'd rather be stranded than buy fuel or anything else from them.

That's awful. I would have called the state police while he was doing it.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I just stay out of their way....get out of the passing lane if they are bearing down, slow a bit to let them in....always good, whenever possible , not to pick a fight with an entity so much larger than you are.

You never know who is behind the wheel.

Could be the most courteous, considerate, decent human being you could ever encounter, just trying to get from point A to point B, meet his deadline, etc. Or....not.

They are always in a hurry, and I try not to be.

Maggie
Old 11-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Never ever drive under the limit in the left lane.! Stay to the right and be patient. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Many drivers for freight companies drive 65 or less to conserve fuel. I drive about 62, meaning I get passed by semis. I do slow a bit so they can get around me and leave the left lane open for faster traffic. Independent owner - operators set their own rules and may run faster.

I believe I worry too much about traffic behind me. We all must yield to slower traffic in front of us. So maintain your speed and lane position and let the folks behind you plan their pass. I've had trucks drift over the center lane during a pass and then I evade to the right, but it is very rare this happens. I do prepare for the wake of the passing truck. It can be significant.

You have just as much right to drive on our highways as any other person. You comply with the rules. You don't need to worry about people who elect to drive faster. If they smack the rear of your trailer, they will need to buy you a new one. As mentioned before, keep right except to pass.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I am still a newbie having done this for only two seasons but hauling an Airstream gives new meaning to "defensive driving". Nobody cares or understands that you have the stopping distance of the Queen Mary, that you cannot see what is tucked up behind you, and that you turn slowly and carefully. People pull out in front of me, from side roads, all of the time because they do not want to be behind that trailer.
I have learned to drive more defensively but to not care very much about what is behind me. I drive my own speed and stay planted in the center of my lane. If I do see a bunch of traffic in my side views and there is an easy pullout, like the Blue Ridge, I will use it. Otherwise they can pass when they can pass. Frankly I95 is stressful in any vehicle. I, among many, hate it. Virtually all of the rude truck driver I have ever encountered have been on I95 and I am talking about when I am in my car. Just avoid it if at all possible. I find SC, NC, and most of VA, south of DC, to be tolerable on I-95.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #17
CHIEF THINGAMAJIG FIXER

1964 26' Overlander
bugtussel , South Carolina
[

Sounds to me like you need to look at your own driving instead of the "Aggressive trucker". I haul camper all across the country and I very seldom encounter a trucker that is intentionally aggressive. The difference is he is pulling GVW 80,000 pounds and you are probably a little over 15,000. ( I don't know your TV or trailer just guessing). He has to drive alot differently than you and you perceive that as aggressive driving because he needs to maintain speed on hills so he doesn't drop to a crawl because someone is creeping along. "Crowding the left lane is not a good idea when it comes to playing with a big truck". Sounds to me like you are the aggressive driver in this scene and you will bring out the "redneck in a trucker ". Just pulling campers like I do that would tick me off if you were crowding the left lane when I went to pass. So look at your own driving before blaming the "Aggressive trucker."
Bugtussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The psychology of a trucker and driving techniques

Protagonist, having run into this before and mainly in my personal vehicle I usually attribute it to someone on the phone when during the day. Late at night it is a drunk. Leave the driving to someone else. But by your description you ran into one who won't ever be more than about twelve years of age. Usually not found pulling a Haz-Mat load. My response that is usually slow to about 45 and even putting on the four ways. Miles, if need be

. I agree with calling home office and wouldn't hesitate to call highway patrol to report a driver under the influence. Need direction of travel, mile marker and truck description. Tractor and trailer usually are numbered especially if from a large company. Someone that close, I needn't tell you, is more dangerous than brandishing a firearm especially if Haz-Mat.

Exiting the road is the easiest solution. Also gives one a chance to get a better visual description to call in. Getting the safety dept on the blower will result in action as these guys are not only on company GPS but the Feds. You CAN give that driver a severe headache pronto by following up with the State.

I most often see this wth a driver riding a bumper when both are passing a slow mover. A cultural thing, unfortunately, that goes hand in hand with having to be "first" (attempts to prevent passing). Good to be able to recognize it may be present in order to work around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I am still a newbie having done this for only two seasons but hauling an Airstream gives new meaning to "defensive driving".
At work, I've been required to take defensive driving classes every three years, so I've taken the classes nearly a dozen times.

They never phrase it so simply as this in the training, but the essence of defensive driving is: "Never put yourself in a position where the only thing keeping you from having an accident is the other guy's ability to brake or swerve."
Old 11-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Interesting choice of terms - "approaching me aggressively." Was he/she waving an arm out the window, flashing head lights, or using some other means of communication? The actions you describe once alongside you could be a tired or inattentive driver, possibly one on a cell phone, or one whose truck has a sloppy steering mechanism.
Approaching aggressively- speeding, following too close, never really crossing the line to pass/remaining in the lane with me, coming back over within inches of my bumper-
We ask ourselves why trucks don't have their own road system. They do. It's the interstate highway system. We can sometimes choose to go a different route, avoiding interstates.
The biggest problem I have traveling is 18 wheelers. They may not be doing anything that cars aren't doing (bad driving habits in general) but they are larger and will do more damage. I don't know why, maybe weight, but it seems they can't regulate their speed and they are impatient or try to gain every inch thinking it will make a difference in the length of their day. While we are traveling a constant 65 mph, never wavering, they barrel down the hills at 80 and climb the hills at 50, so this irritating game of leap frog ensues. He passes me. I pass him. He passes me. I pass him. He passes me. I pass him. Meanwhile my blood is boiling as I'm looking for a way away from him. Sometimes it seems like they are distracted- talking on the phone, texting, who knows what- because they weave over the line continuously, creating a scary situation.
In general, big trucks are a nuisance, but a big Thank You to the professional, safe drivers who demonstrate courtesy and safety on the road and allow space/room when passing.
Going to the Mother Ship via 71 in Kentucky to 75 was the worst trip ever. 75 and 95 have got to be the most busy roads in the country. Add to my own tension my wife being scared and reacting and making comments. I keep telling her that doesn't help my stress level. I see everything she sees. I don't need her giving a commentary/play by play of the events-
The eastern US is more densely populated- more people, more cars, and more trucks. That in itself makes it harder to drive/more stressful.
It seems that 99% of all drivers just change lanes because they can/because there's a gap, even though they aren't really gaining, but continually causing traffic to slow down by cutting too close causing a chain reaction of everyone slowing. This aggressive driving in a big truck is even more scary. It's like people just have to be ahead of you. As soon as they get in front of you, they slow down to slower than you were originally going. I just gotta change lanes. I just gotta be in front. It is a consequence of this microwave/instant gratification/always in a hurry/gotta have it now/I can't wait/impatient society we live in. Add to that most people are self centered, inconsiderate and rude- at least in their cars- meet them in church and they are the nicest people you ever want to meet. It's like the car changes people. All rules of engagement are thrown out the window and it becomes me, me, me, it's all about me. This goes all the way down to people speeding and running stop signs in residential areas- not considering whose pet or child they might kill or injure. It is so scary to approach an intersection and the car at the stop sign will not stop completely and continues to roll past the stop line. It makes my heart skip a beat every time. It is annoying when people finally do stop their bumper is 1 foot or 2 into the roadway, causing me to have to swerve out around it, or if there is a car beside me I have to stop/wait to avoid a collision.
Why do people get so irritated at me for going the speed limit or below? Why don't they realize I am perfectly within my rights to do so? They act as if by obeying the laws and being safe I am imposing upon their rights to break the law and be dangerous and they are very angry about it.
If I am traveling on the highway and a car is coming up the ramp, it is not my responsibility to yield to the car on the ramp, but his responsibility to yield to me. If I can move over and let him in, I will. If someone is beside me, and I can't move over, it becomes that driver's responsibility to a) speed up and merge in ahead of me or b) slow down and merge in behind me.
The thing that prevents this from happening is people speeding and tailgating. They don't leave enough room between cars to move over/change lanes. Why do they think it is OK to go 70 eight feet apart? Has it never occurred to them what will happen if one car messes up? I think that people just don't think-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote