Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #21
CHIEF THINGAMAJIG FIXER

1964 26' Overlander
bugtussel , South Carolina
Everyone wants to blame drivers on cell phone as the first thing that is wrong. Truth is if you are a commercial driver and you are caught on the cell phone without a hands free device being used it is an automatic $2500.00 fine plus points on you CDL. Notice when you go in to a truck stop you will see guys with hands free headsets on. I personally think this should be law in all 50 states and not apply to only commercial drivers. M.honey the leapfrogging you are referring to is because they are 80,000 GVW. They have to speed down hill in order to sometimes maintain 50 mph going up hill. They are simply getting a run and go at the next hill. And yes it will make a difference not so much in their day but in their week. When you have to travel 2500 in less than 5 days and you can only work so many hours in a day it does make a HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Bugtussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
For the most, truck drivers I've encountered have been courteous and helpful, frequently changing lanes to allow us to join the highway. I repay that courtesy by flashing them when it's ok for them to pull back in in front of us.

So far, so good. Having said that, I recently had to tow the Airstream to London on a heavy traffic day and rather than subjecting myself to stress I decided to avoid the highway altogether and went cross country instead. Added perhaps 30 minutes - instead of 60 I was doing 50 - to the trip, but these were an enjoyable thirty minutes driving on deserted roads on a beautiful fall day. I even stopped for a while on a layby, just to enjoy the scenery for a while and make a coffee. Useful to have your house with you.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
From a 2002 thread, One Angry Trucker

A blonde had just gotten a new sports car and was out for a drive when
she cut off a truck driver. He motioned for her to pull over. When she
did, he got out of his truck and pulled a piece of chalk from his
pocket. He drew a circle on the road and told the blonde to stand in the
circle and not move.

He then went to her car and cut up her leather seats.

When he turned around she had a slight grin on her face, so he said,
"Oh, you think that's funny? Watch this..."

He gets a baseball bat out of his truck and breaks every window in her
car. When he turns and looks at her she has a smile on her face. This
makes him even angrier.

He gets his knife back out and slashes all of her tires.

Now she's laughing.

The truck driver is really starting to lose it. He goes back to his
truck and gets a can of gas, pours it on her car and sets it on fire. He
turns around and she is laughing so hard she is about to fall down.

"What's so funny?" the truck driver yelled to the blonde.

She replied, "If you promise not to hurt me I will tell."

The truck driver nodded and the blonde giggled, then she said, "When you
weren't looking, I stepped outside the circle 4 times!"

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamdreamn View Post
[

Sounds to me like you need to look at your own driving instead of the "Aggressive trucker". I haul camper all across the country and I very seldom encounter a trucker that is intentionally aggressive. The difference is he is pulling GVW 80,000 pounds and you are probably a little over 15,000. ( I don't know your TV or trailer just guessing). He has to drive alot differently than you and you perceive that as aggressive driving because he needs to maintain speed on hills so he doesn't drop to a crawl because someone is creeping along. "Crowding the left lane is not a good idea when it comes to playing with a big truck". Sounds to me like you are the aggressive driver in this scene and you will bring out the "redneck in a trucker ". Just pulling campers like I do that would tick me off if you were crowding the left lane when I went to pass. So look at your own driving before blaming the "Aggressive trucker."
No Sir. You must have misunderstood the post. If you re-read it carefully you will understand what I meant.

I traveled in the right lane 99.9% of the trip. What I found while traveling in that right lane was interesting. While moving down the road at 60-65 in that right lane, I could track down dead center, slightly left of the line, or slightly right of the line. I did not enter the left lane at any point during the 1200 mile tow.

If I was in the middle, or the right of the right hand lane the trucks would have the option to use that space that I opened up to them. If I stayed left, but still clear of the line, they would pass me with room & what I perceived to be a safe buffer. It's a subtle observation, but there's no doubt that the trucks were paying attention to my position in the lane as they overtook me.

I do not drive aggressively, but I do drive as if everyone is a threat and constantly looking for a "what if" plan if something gets dangerous.

I saw something similar to what Protagonist experienced, but not as intense or sustained. I was in the right lane, a car was in the middle lane and other cars and trucks were passing in the left lane. The truck barreled down on the car left of me and rode his bumper for about a minute. He had room to pass on the left. It was scary and I was terrified for the driver. I should have called that truck in, but I did not. If I see it again, I will.

It was another weird observation, but the UPS trucks were polite and seemed to be predictable. Maybe they screen their drivers a little more carefully.

It is possible that lane position (within the right lane) with intent to manipulate traffic behind me is aggressive. But it seemed to make a difference in how I was passed by the semis, which was more pleasant for me behind the wheel. Again, just an observation, not endorsing the style or strategy -- merely looking for advice on how to handle myself safely on the road.

All the comments in the thread so far have been mostly wise -- info that I was looking for.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The psychology of a trucker and driving techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
No Sir. You must have misunderstood the post. If you re-read it carefully you will understand what I meant.

I traveled in the right lane 99.9% of the trip. What I found while traveling in that right lane was interesting. While moving down the road at 60-65 in that right lane, I could track down dead center, slightly left of the line, or slightly right of the line. I did not enter the left lane at any point during the 1200 mile tow.

If I was in the middle, or the right of the right hand lane the trucks would have the option to use that space that I opened up to them. If I stayed left, but still clear of the line, they would pass me with room & what I perceived to be a safe buffer. It's a subtle observation, but there's no doubt that the trucks were paying attention to my position in the lane as they overtook me.

I do not drive aggressively, but I do drive as if everyone is a threat and constantly looking for a "what if" plan if something gets dangerous.

I saw something similar to what Protagonist experienced, but not as intense or sustained. I was in the right lane, a car was in the middle lane and other cars and trucks were passing in the left lane. The truck barreled down on the car left of me and rode his bumper for about a minute. He had room to pass on the left. It was scary and I was terrified for the driver. I should have called that truck in, but I did not. If I see it again, I will.

It was another weird observation, but the UPS trucks were polite and seemed to be predictable. Maybe they screen their drivers a little more carefully.

It is possible that lane position (within the right lane) with intent to manipulate traffic behind me is aggressive. But it seemed to make a difference in how I was passed by the semis, which was more pleasant for me behind the wheel. Again, just an observation, not endorsing the style or strategy -- merely looking for advice on how to handle myself safely on the road.

All the comments in the thread so far have been mostly wise -- info that I was looking for.

This is correct the left lane idiots become unconscious in short order and maintain a predetermined distance towards those they are passing. This can often be spotted in the mirrors. I also move to the left of the lane and sometimes just over. Keeps them where they should be as I then move back to the right of my lane. I don't advocate making driving intoore work than it already is but I also drive 4000-miles/week nearly year-round. Ones life and livelihood can depend on these observations and actions. The worst offenders Re the box vans. Lengths should never have been allowed to increase from 48 to 53 feet for any trailer, but this is America and greed is king. Even. Good driver can lose track of what the rear tandems are doing and any wind aggravates this. Look for it as they are coming up on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
As a general rule, I do not move closer to the left side of my lane when someone is passing me. It might make them hold farther to the left or it might not, but in any event, moving closer to someone who is passing me is exactly what I don't want to do! All it takes is one wind gust, a swerve to avoid some sort of debris in his lane (or yours!) and that three or four feet of clearance between your vehicles could disappear in a hurry!

By the same token, edging closer to someone I'm passing is also a bad idea. Golden Rule applies: "Do unto other drivers as you'd have other drivers do unto you."
Old 11-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Once you have more tow time under your belt, I think you will get used to the trucks passing. I'll bet those drivers were not trying to be aggressive intentionally, they just want to get their load down the road as fast as possible. I still remember the first real push to the side I got from a semi with my first 30' Airstream. My rear end about bit a hole in the seat ;-)
When I'm towing in the right lane, my defense to those fast approaching semi trucks is to stay near the left painted line until just before they get to the rear of the trailer. Then I slowly move toward right, staying in the same lane, before they actually get to me. The more distance there is between the two vehicles, the less the fast vehicle's bow wave affects the slow one.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The psychology of a trucker and driving techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As a general rule, I do not move closer to the left side of my lane when someone is passing me. It might make them hold farther to the left or it might not, but in any event, moving closer to someone who is passing me is exactly what I don't want to do! All it takes is one wind gust, a swerve to avoid some sort of debris in his lane (or yours!) and that three or four feet of clearance between your vehicles could disappear in a hurry!

By the same token, edging closer to someone I'm passing is also a bad idea. Golden Rule applies: "Do unto other drivers as you'd have other drivers do unto you."

You don't do it when they are near but before they have entered the pass zone and are still in overtake. You do it for precisely the reasons you've given

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Once you have more tow time under your belt, I think you will get used to the trucks passing. I'll bet those drivers were not trying to be aggressive intentionally, they just want to get their load down the road as fast as possible. I still remember the first real push to the side I got from a semi with my first 30' Airstream. My rear end about bit a hole in the seat ;-)
When I'm towing in the right lane, my defense to those fast approaching semi trucks is to stay near the left painted line until just before they get to the rear of the trailer. Then I slowly move toward right, staying in the same lane, before they actually get to me. The more distance there is between the two vehicles, the less the fast vehicle's bow wave affects the slow one.

Exactly, you just explained it more eloquently.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
As an operator of a tv/trailer you should now have an appreciation for what it is like to drive a multi-ton vehicle down the interstate. Try to see the road from the trucker's perspective. Allow lots of distance for emergency stopping, and never cut a truck or a car off just because you can. Try to anticipate their moves and allow room for their maneuvers. Show them you care about everybody's safety. Flash your lights to let them know is OK to move over in front of you when they're passing. It maybe trivial, but the courtesy you show them may be returned down the road. On long trips, I often encounter the same operator multiple times.

The ones to watch out for as the road weary, bleary eyed ones... There are far too many rear end accidents by truckers who fall asleep at the wheel these days. If you have to come to a stop on the interstate, put on your flashers and do whatever it takes to be visible to them.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
After a quick read through this thread, and I stopped reading a couple of posts without reading them through, I have come to realize some people seem to have no concept of the laws of physics. Specifically, the parts about gravity and its effects on moving objects as they go up and down hills.
Does anybody seriously expect an 80,000 pound truck to be able to maintain a steady 65mph, uphill and down, no matter what? If a loaded truck starts at the bottom of any kind of hill at 65, he will probably be lucky to be doing 25 by the time he gets to the top. Inertia is a trucks friend, and gravity is its enemy.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
After a quick read through this thread, and I stopped reading a couple of posts without reading them through, I have come to realize some people seem to have no concept of the laws of physics. Specifically, the parts about gravity and its effects on moving objects as they go up and down hills.
Does anybody seriously expect an 80,000 pound truck to be able to maintain a steady 65mph, uphill and down, no matter what? If a loaded truck starts at the bottom of any kind of hill at 65, he will probably be lucky to be doing 25 by the time he gets to the top. Inertia is a trucks friend, and gravity is its enemy.

I-95 is flat, I should have mentioned that!
Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Man As a gearhead I guess I take a lot of acquired skill for granted when driving as I don't find the truckers as difficult to deal with as the other smaller vehicles. Trucks move in relative slow-motion as compared to smaller vehicles and are thus more predictable and easier to react to. I just simply have never had any problem with the truckers.

I think that the main problem with the average driver is that they drive like they walk or run down a side walk; bump into someone and just say excuse me; or why were you in my way?
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
MotoMoto
It sounds like you did everything right...you can't really do much more. I pull my 20ft FC "Daisy" across this fine country each year, with numerous other trips of 50-200 miles...and the principal danger/discomfort has always been semi's drifting into my lane...passing close to my rig. The best defense has always been vigilance, especially at night. Just keep an eye on your rear mirror, and adjust YOUR rig accordingly. I would not try to contest space with these big rigs at 65 mph. Stay safe. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #35
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
I'd like to preface this post with the statement: I am a rookie having just done my first trip to pick up our airstream. It was a long one, 1200 miles from Orlando to New Jersey. For the most part it was very smooth, however the scariest element of the trip was dealing with all the trucks and their different driving styles.

Some of the truckers were courteous, in control and not threatening in anyway. others seem to be trying to run us off the road.
I have driven I-95 a couple of times. I don't find it to be an outlier compared to other interstates.

Most truckers are competent drivers. There are some exceptions, mostly inexperienced drivers for the "entry level" truckload lines.

There is some variation in driving style due to the fact that some of the major lines have specific policies that they enforce. For example some lines disallow flashing lights as a way of saying "thank you" or flashing headlights to encourage another vehicle to change lanes. Various lines also have different expectations regarding speed.

Quote:
I was constantly checking my rearview mirror's in anticipation of oncoming trucks and other passing vehicles. I was doing my best to be aware the entire time. I found that if I knew a truck was coming I was better prepared to deal with these road Giants approaching us at different speeds.
To paraphrase Wingeezer's post above, a well chosen tow vehicle, hitch, brake controller, and other safety-related equipment should allow you to run at speeds roughly comparable to other traffic. Running at a reasonable speed will reduce the sheer numbers of passing vehicles as well as their speed relative to you.

Quote:
Generally I could tell if a truck might challenge me in some way. If they appeared to be approaching very fast in the rearview I knew that it was going to rock my nerves a bit.
Interesting word choice. I do not remember perceiving that another vehicle was "challenging" me during a lifetime of driving. I do often observe that vehicles around me are being operated in an unsafe or discourteous manner. Rarely, I perceive that vehicles are being operated in a way that was deliberately chosen to communicate the operator's displeasure with me.

Quote:
I am not advising anybody to do this as I have no experience, but I did quickly learned that if I stood my ground on the left side of my lane, they would give me more room as they passed.
There is a fine line between claiming your needs and being a jerk. It sounds like you're legitimately claiming your needs. Be cognizant of the distinction as your driving style evolves.

Quote:
I am just wondering if any of you have techniques in dealing with the trucks and staying safe on the road. I know that they have a right to be there and I'm not suggesting otherwise
1. Aim high in steering. Cultivate a smooth style of driving that does not involve frequent changes to steering wheel position.
2. Choose from among the best available hitches, brakes, mirrors, and tires.
3. Treat the pre-trip inspection like someone's life depends on it. It does.
4. Maintain a consistent, courteous, safe speed giving due weight to such factors as: weather, road conditions, any equipment deficiencies, driver skill, and traffic. Bear in mind that the safest speed may be higher than the speed that will offer the best fuel economy.
5. Keep your cool.
6. Remember that the vast majority of traffic fatalities occur at intersections.

Quote:
but they were definitely the most dangerous element of the trip
Highway traffic statistics suggest otherwise. You would do well to cultivate a greater degree of paranoia about cars making left turns, either oncoming or crossing.

Quote:
Any insight or advice on my observations is welcomed. I'd love to hear how you guys handle the trucks and bad drivers.
1. There is no 100% effective strategy for handling bad drivers.
2. Bad (discourteous, unsafe, etc) drivers are best understood as a problem for law enforcement. They are a social ill that is largely borne of a declining emphasis on basic traffic enforcement as police resources are increasingly redistributed to DUI enforcement and the war on drugs. Nonetheless, people who drive in an unsafe fashion consistently, especially truckers who do that, eventually accumulate enough tickets to cause them to modify their behavior.
3. I find that collecting identifying information and reporting out bad behavior to police (or trucking lines) is rarely productive and interferes with my ability to keep my cool.
4. Consider that overly conservative driving may draw the ire of other roadway users.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #36
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
A little paranoia is wise.

On the other hand, an Airstream and tow vehicle do require a different mindset than a motorcycle.

Quote:
Linehaul trucks for any of the package freight (UPS etc) or LTL freight (Fedex ground, Old Dominion, etc) are typically driven very professionally. Their drivers are not incentivized to run at excessive speeds or for long hours without breaks. Also, many of these trucks are doubles, which will keep a lower speed because they are less stable.

You will also find that trucks carrying hazardous chemicals are driven with particular skill and courtesy. Those jobs pay the best in the industry and take their pick of the drivers.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You can tell the trucking companies that impose a 65 mph speed limit and have GPS tracking on the trucks. These are the guys I like to follow.
The bad truckers surely get on the good truckers nerves, too.
The UPS trucks are generally in the right lane doing 65 mph. UPS has an extensive training program and extreme punishment/discipline for breaking the rules. UPS really holds its drivers accountable for their actions. I am a fleet coordinator for a company with 300 trucks and 50 trailers. We have a consultant who is retired from UPS. We are trying to mirror the good qualities of UPS- mold/shape/model our company to be a company of the caliber-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #38
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I prefer to drive slower when towing for many reasons. If you are running 45-50 mph
use the secondary roads. Its easier on your equipment and your nerves.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
What Jammer said, and Protagonist and Streamdreamn as well.

Almost all my driving has been in the West and the truckers are by far and away the folks I feel safest around. They know what they're doing and they are, as a rule, courteous. There are exceptions, but life sends you a jerk every once in a while (witness Protagonist). Also in the West, the rule is "Stay right except to Pass." The rule is mostly followed until you get to California, Phoenix, Salt Lake or Denver - and likely other big cities. I try to time my trips through the latter three on Sundays and try to avoid California altogether (but that's impossible - there's too much good stuff there ).

You have no idea, it seems, how fortunate you are in an AS. After 17 years of a SOB, the AS is an absolute dream to pull. Trucks approaching, passing, or us passing trucks - our girl is rock solid behind us, even on a two-lane with a 65 MPH limit. Cross winds on I-10 & I-20 in Texas? You hardly notice them except on the fuel gauge.

My experience leads me to wonder if some of your problem might be the set up of your tow package. The bow wave from semi's should have a negligible effect. Trucking companies are doing everything they can to make the rigs "slippery." In my experience, the worst effect is from local delivery Box Trucks. A bad driving experience can be anxiety producing. But I doubt professional truckers are the blame.

Just my 2 cents - YMMV.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Quote:
I'd like to preface this post with the statement: I am a rookie having just done my first trip to pick up our airstream. It was a long one, 1200 miles from Orlando to New Jersey. For the most part it was very smooth, however the scariest element of the trip was dealing with all the trucks and their different driving styles.

Some of the truckers were courteous, in control and not threatening in anyway. others seem to be trying to run us off the road.

I was constantly checking my rearview mirror's in anticipation of oncoming trucks and other passing vehicles. I was doing my best to be aware the entire time. I found that if I knew a truck was coming I was better prepared to deal with these road Giants approaching us at different speeds.

Generally I could tell if a truck might challenge me in some way. If they appeared to be approaching very fast in the rearview I knew that it was going to rock my nerves a bit. Thankfully our anti-sway weight distribution system helped out a ton.

Trucks that were approaching me aggressively were the ones that shook me up the most some of them were not tracking straight and even drifted into my lane a little bit which I found incredibly unnerving with my entire family in the car.

I am not advising anybody to do this as I have no experience, but I did quickly learned that if I stood my ground on the left side of my lane, they would give me more room as they passed.

I assume they looked at me like someone with an airstream having no idea what he was doing in giving me a wide berth. When I did nothing and stayed in the middle of my lane they would use I'll be available real estate which was causing me a lot of stress.

I am just wondering if any of you have techniques in dealing with the trucks and staying safe on the road. I know that they have a right to be there and I'm not suggesting otherwise but they were definitely the most dangerous element of the trip minus the one guy in a cutlass sierra who was driving his car while texting with both hands all the while with a Close to flat tire.

Driving the airstream with your family in the car is a great responsibility and requires you being completely present at all times. Outside trucks I'd say it was an amazing experience while we towed. Any insight or advice on my observations is welcomed. I'd love to hear how you guys handle the trucks and bad drivers.
Never judge someone untill you have been in their shoes! Having grown up in a family owned trucking Co. I started driving over the road at 18 years of age. There are good and bad as in anything. What you have to remember is that most get paid by the mile, therefore the more miles they run in the alotted time, the more money they make. They are not on vacation nor a Sunday drive. I have been on both sides and feel that I understand both sides. When I drive or pull my RV I just make sure that I outrun everyone so I don't have any problems, except from an occasional "smokie!"